Satellite Drift Prevention

A plugin that maybe uses Hypedit functionality to prevent satellite networks from drifting without having to constantly go back and fix them. It's impossible to get orbits truly close without a lot of luck, since KSP doesn't have the most stable trajectories... So frustrating to see my AP/PE bouncing about 50-100 meters while my satellite is just sitting there. It would need to have a single satellite selected, and match all other satellites in its network to its orbital period/inclination/ what have you. It would need some kind of limitation, such as the AP/PE being within 500 meters of the main satellite, and its inclination suitably close. Maybe require RCS ports on the satellite, and consume very small amounts of monoprop for adjustments. I wouldn't mind having to refuel satellites every ~6 years, it would feel very nice. I have no words for the amount of tears that have been shed as I watch my 10 satellite network ever so slowly drift into chaos as I await transfer windows for years ;.;

Actually stationkeeping is the term for "Maybe require RCS ports on the satellite, and consume very small amounts of monoprop for adjustments." Stationkeeping is a big part of the Orbital Decay mod, and is intended to solve the problem you're having using the solution you've proposed :wink:

On 2016年4月26日 at 11:58 AM, lagcity613 said:

A plugin that maybe uses Hypedit functionality to prevent satellite networks from drifting without having to constantly go back and fix them. It's impossible to get orbits truly close without a lot of luck, since KSP doesn't have the most stable trajectories... So frustrating to see my AP/PE bouncing about 50-100 meters while my satellite is just sitting there. It would need to have a single satellite selected, and match all other satellites in its network to its orbital period/inclination/ what have you. It would need some kind of limitation, such as the AP/PE being within 500 meters of the main satellite, and its inclination suitably close. Maybe require RCS ports on the satellite, and consume very small amounts of monoprop for adjustments. I wouldn't mind having to refuel satellites every ~6 years, it would feel very nice. I have no words for the amount of tears that have been shed as I watch my 10 satellite network ever so slowly drift into chaos as I await transfer windows for years ;.;

An orbit maintainer mod would be useful.

However, if you use Hyperedit in the Tracking Station to set the orbit, satellites will be on rails and will not drift, as long as you do not change focus to them.

As soon as physics loads, the satellite will start to drift. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.