enable or disable a specific mod

buzuc

Hi rocketers,

Is there a way to disable a mod based on the career we are starting?

To make it simple and understandable (I hope):

I installed remotech because I wanted to start a new career with remotech but I also would like to continue my first career without remotech.

As the mods are loaded on KSP startup my old career now includes remotech... Thanks in advance for your help.

The usual solution is to duplicate your KSP install folder. In contrast to some other games, KSP doesn't care in which folder it sits - even if you have downloaded it via Steam. You can simply navigate to for example your Steam library on your disk, rightclick the Kerbal Space Program folder, select copy, then navigate to another suitable spot, rightclick, choose paste, and voila - you now have two separate KSP installations which do not interfere or interact with each other in any way.

Then, you can continue running your old career in one of those installs without mods, and run your new career in the other install with all the mods you want.

One caveat is that you can't just use Steam to launch KSP anymore. You have to start the .exe file* in the install folder you want to use. Either manually, or by making yourself a shortcut on the Desktop or in your Start menu*. Steam also won't record "hours played" if you do it that way.

(* assuming you are on Windows, by pure statistical likelihood.)

That was my first idea but as I have a few other mods I don't want to update both directories. I have to say also that I have a limited space on my hard drive so if I could save some space I would be happy.

And I'm using the windows version and not the steam one. I don't want to install steam on my computer.

Would it be possible to use module manager for that?

7 hours ago, buzuc said:

That was my first idea but as I have a few other mods I don't want to update both directories. I have to say also that I have a limited space on my hard drive so if I could save some space I would be happy.

And I'm using the windows version and not the steam one. I don't want to install steam on my computer.

What do you want to use MM for exactly?

Oh and CKAN allows you to update and control multiple KSP instances at once in case you didn't already know.

18 hours ago, buzuc said:

No.

Create a dir next to your GameData, move mods your want to disable out of GameData ans into that dir. move then back when you want to enable them.

7 hours ago, sarbian said:

Create a dir next to your GameData, move mods your want to disable out of GameData ans into that dir. move then back when you want to enable them.

Or have a folder for all the mods and another one for specific saves. Then use a script that deletes all unneded files or links, then creates symlinks from the mods to the gamedata folder and from the additional saves folder to the games saves folder and then starts the game.

5 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

Or have a folder for all the mods and another one for specific saves. Then use a script that deletes all unneded files or links, then creates symlinks from the mods to the gamedata folder and from the additional saves folder to the games saves folder and then starts the game.

Like the program I made over two years ago that does just that :wink: It was my first contribution to the forum. I use it non-stop since I wrote it, but nobody ever was interested in it.

On 27/04/2016 at 10:44 PM, magico13 said:

Like the program I made over two years ago that does just that :wink: It was my first contribution to the forum. I use it non-stop since I wrote it, but nobody ever was interested in it.

Looks great after reading, but it's not exactly the best formatted post I've seen. Gotta get some bold headings, images etc in there; no one wants to read a huge wall of text without some break-up. The title isn't particularly grabbing either. I'm sure if more people knew about it people would use it.

Saying this, you seem to know all this as it's exactly what you've done with KCT. :P

1 hour ago, Firex said:

Looks great after reading, but it's not exactly the best formatted post I've seen. Gotta get some bold headings, images etc in there; no one wants to read a huge wall of text without some break-up. The title isn't particularly grabbing either. I'm sure if more people knew about it people would use it.

Saying this, you seem to know all this as it's exactly what you've done with KCT. :P

I never updated the post after the forum upgrade, so most of the formatting got lost, including the pictures. I'm fine now with nobody ever using it because I've got bigger projects to focus on :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2016 at 4:44 PM, magico13 said:

I saw this a while back, and was in fact interested; but unfortunately I intentionally do not have Java installed on my gaming machine, so was never able to try it.

Edited by TK421d

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.