The EVA planning thread.

So there is already a thread about who you want for your first EVA, but I thought I\'d go bigger.

Feel free to post all of your EVA plans here. You may include detailed flight plans, landing site locations, support and help to others planning EVA and anything about it you want. All three celestial bodies are welcome here at this thread, as is talk of all Kerbals and scientific exploration ideas.

Have fun!

I have questions ( I don\'t think you might answer them)

Will the Kerbals take fall damage?

And will they run out of air (oxygen or whatever they need)

Will they be able to swim?

Will they be able to fix ships (Probably not but why not ask :D )

I have questions ( I don\'t think you might answer them)

Of course I will.

Will the Kerbals take fall damage?

Yes. Harv has said it is part of the EVAs that he has already implemented I think.

And will they run out of air (oxygen or whatever they need)

Life support is apparently not being introduced until a later update. I\'m sure someone will make a plug in, though.

Will they be able to swim?

Yes. They\'re supposed to be able to walk, run, swim, climb and float.

Will they be able to fix ships (Probably not but why not ask :D )

Not yet. EVAs are basically going to just be for show in this update. But we can expect to be able to perform scientific tasks, repair ships and collect geological samples as later updates are released.

Give a warm welcome to 'Twix Crater'.

The landing site of my first Lunar EVA to come.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=15608.0;attach=25427;image

I\'m currently going through with all the planning and stuff right now. I have many decisions to make, but because this mission to image the Mun\'s possible landing sites was called 'Odin I', it\'s safe to assume that 'Odin III' will be the landing mission. (Odin II is to be a Lunar Module low-fly over above the landing site to give the Odin lander a systems shake down in Lunar Orbit.) The next Odin Mission will not fly until the landing actually happens after that.

--EDIT--

Wow... The Lunar Equator is off. Damn. One second everyone.

Just out of curiosity, what made that crater more appealing than the others?

Nothing really, other than the seemingly smooth terrain texture during the pass over. I was orbiting at 10KM to pick a landing site. I saw it off to my left. I liked the albedo of the surface, the smooth texture and its proximity to the lunar equator. I have never landed there so it\'s best go ahead and go explore it.

Hey again, everyone. Odin II just flew and successfully accomplished its mission around the Mun. It\'s now time to return, but there are a few things that need to be done before that happens. Anyway, here\'s a photo I took as I passed directly over the future landing site at 6 Kilometers.

I learned a lot about it from this mission. Twix crater appears to be made of a ring like shelf. Basically, there is a pit in the ground, but between the surface level of the rim of the crater and the bottom, there is a shelf that acts like a set of two stairs or something. The landing site is covered in boulders, but they are spaced evenly enough that a landing is possible. The surface albedo appears to be under 4%, which our Kerbonauts will like while walking around during the Lunar Morning.

Odin III will be the next mission in the series to fly. And it will be the first Lunar EVA in my Kerbal Universe.

I am going to do this like NASA did, send Jeb up in the Mk1 pod, (I read in the dev blog, that it will be a 1 kerbal pod.) send up Who-ever is next in one of the airplane pods, and have one do a space walk, then I will walk on the mun with whoever get\'s the seat, and finally, I will land and walk on the minmus.

-part 1-

1. make a 1 man pod with lander attached

2. make the 1 man lander orbit the Mun

3. expose of the kerbal in the lander so then it\'s an empty single crew lander orbiting the Mun

-part 2-

1. launch the 3 crew pod to orbit the Mun

2. rendezvous with the empty lander

3. EVA 1 kerbal into the lander

4. land and EVA with the 1 kerbal

-part 3-

1. ascend with the lander and orbit

2. rendezvous with the 3 crew pod

3. send the kerbal from the lander back into the pod

4. go home

Depending on what if any new stock parts come out will vary my first Missions. First mission will be to what I dubbed the cat\'s paw crater system for an official main landed base.

From there, I plan on hitting the following peninsula on minimus for exploring the surrounding lakes if eva makes it possible. So far the EVA will probably need to use mods since carts are win for eva, will allow me to run exploration.

Other thing would be if we would still need minimum crew complements. Having rescue craft designable would be excellent where it can say hold four, but only need 1 to launch or other docking systems.

Probably I will just get a nice orbit, and float in space for a bit.

Dude. Your signature is sad. I would hate to have seen Nixon have to deliver that speech.

Just saying.

Good EVA plan though.

Is anyone drawing/writing up detailed flight plans and choosing landing sites and qualifying their lander like I am?

[Raising Hand] Me I\'m doing it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.