[WIP] O'Neill Space Cylinder

Eskandare

6 minutes ago, LitaAlto said:

And I just realized -- if you can place an O'Neill Space Cylinder in KEO via Kerbal Konstructs, you could also build a space elevator platform system.

:0.0:

The problem with that is how Kerbin works. At a certain altitude the Kerbin switches to a LoD model and it may or may not work or display correctly. Also a  36 km long model is very, very different from a 2,863.3 km long model.

8 hours ago, Eskandare said:

The problem with that is how Kerbin works. At a certain altitude the Kerbin switches to a LoD model and it may or may not work or display correctly. Also a  36 km long model is very, very different from a 2,863.3 km long model.

I was hoping I could utilize fakery for the actual cable, although I guess it would be more "fun" if you could EVA the whole length of it. Anyhow, it's a thought. Thanks!

Awesome Sauce!!

At the very least, this would provide an excellent reason to launch/travel/commute to KEO... This could do a lot for SSTO's... :)

So far, the only thing I do with KEO is maybe RT relays...

Edited by Stone Blue

38 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Awesome Sauce!!

At the very least, this would provide an excellent reason to launch/travel/commute to KEO... This could do a lot for SSTO's... :)

So far, the only thing I do with KEO is maybe RT relays...

Yes it would, currently it is very difficult to land on the rotating "islands" and I blew up many times. 

13 hours ago, Spaceception said:

:0.0: That looks amazing!!

Oooh, oooh question, would Kerbal's register the gravity? Are you working on something that can do that?

That I am still invesigating. The pictures you see is with the cylinder stationery. Now it rotates! The cylinder rotates at 0.5 rpm or 1 revolution every two minutes. Doesn't seem fast but once you get close to one of the islands the ground is moving approximately 100m/s. This has caused many explosions attemping to land on one of the islands.

The physics engine does calculate and measure for centrifugal force but not sure if the code regarding Kerbals recognize centrifugal force as gravity. I am not much of a coder anymore haven't touched C# and the last time I used to code was perl, C, j-script and turbo pascal back in the late 90s, so I really won't know where to look. Additionally, I am not sure if that code is public.

Maybe @NathanKell can shed some light on the subject. I really would like this to work since I managed to come this far.

Edited by Eskandare

What do you mean by "recognize as gravity"? The kerbal has one velocity, the ground under them another, so they will be constantly be pressed upon by the surface. There isn't something "extra" about centripedal force, it's just a name we give to that interaction.

7 hours ago, NathanKell said:

What do you mean by "recognize as gravity"? The kerbal has one velocity, the ground under them another, so they will be constantly be pressed upon by the surface. There isn't something "extra" about centripedal force, it's just a name we give to that interaction.

Ok, so once landed on the plaform the Kerbal should behave as normal?

Looking at making a 1/6th scale version as a part. Right this minute testing to see if this 965,000,000 ton object will even work as a part...  

EDIT: Very slow loading... but yes.... I think just put the largest part possible into game. And yes that is the full scale version!

3kxPSxh.png

Final verdict of my test: The Kraken is among us. Because of the required physics, distance, and colliders it cannot be a part, therefore such a mega structure can only be a Static object. Unfortunately, the way the colliders behave it may not be feasible to land and walk around on the structure even as a static object. My test craft would just bounce around as a result of forces applied to it, there is not enough fine tuning in the engine to allow constant centrifugal force to be applied.

Edited by Eskandare

On 5/3/2016 at 5:40 AM, Eskandare said:

Looking at making a 1/6th scale version as a part. Right this minute testing to see if this 965,000,000 ton object will even work as a part...  

EDIT: Very slow loading... but yes.... I think just put the largest part possible into game. And yes that is the full scale version!

3kxPSxh.png

Final verdict of my test: The Kraken is among us. Because of the required physics, distance, and colliders it cannot be a part, therefore such a mega structure can only be a Static object. Unfortunately, the way the colliders behave it may not be feasible to land and walk around on the structure even as a static object. My test craft would just bounce around as a result of forces applied to it, there is not enough fine tuning in the engine to allow constant centrifugal force to be applied.

What about tricking the game into thinking it is a planet, they rotate on their axis and have gravity physics, and you just have to match velocity with them to be able to land on them. Instead of using Kerbal Konstructs try Kopernicus.

Just some ideas, this is a really amazing idea and you've gotten farther than anyone before you in trying to pull something like this off. I hope you will keep working on it.

5 hours ago, Shantaboy said:

What about tricking the game into thinking it is a planet, they rotate on their axis and have gravity physics, and you just have to match velocity with them to be able to land on them. Instead of using Kerbal Konstructs try Kopernicus.

Just some ideas, this is a really amazing idea and you've gotten farther than anyone before you in trying to pull something like this off. I hope you will keep working on it.

I'd  have to look into it, but gravity, as far as I know has to be a sphere and I think planets have to be a complete spheroid as well. Not sure what magic goes into gravity. If I am able to use a part as a planet, then I could make a Stanford Torus with a weirdly backwards habitat platform, but I think plants have their own rules which are different from parts and statics. 

As I understand it:

- Planets are on rails and use spheroid gravity only and must be a spheroid. The colony is a Cylinder. The physics engine does simulate cintrifugal force, required to simulate gravity but the connection between static, part and player is unrefined to simulate 1g accurately and tends to bounce the player craft and Kerbal. The solution would be to slow down the rotation to formulate a fraction of gravity  but then there is no guarantee that anything will stay put.

- Statics are "connected" to a planet and rotate at the same revolution as the planet, thus they are buildings.

- Parts are the most processor intensive out of the three, because the physics engine must simulate every physical aspect applied to the models controled by player.

This may not be doable, and I may have to put this project on hold until there is a solution created or discovered.

Edited by Eskandare

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.