[WIP] O'Neill Space Cylinder

Eskandare

@Eskandare you mentioned you've been having issues with the kraken with this. I did a large centrifuge partially inspired by this but no matter how gently i touch it things tend to explode violently. Did you have any similar issues? I'm still new to this,  it's totally possible it's user error. :D

20 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

@Eskandare you mentioned you've been having issues with the kraken with this. I did a large centrifuge partially inspired by this but no matter how gently i touch it things tend to explode violently. Did you have any similar issues? I'm still new to this,  it's totally possible it's user error. :D

No, it's how Kerbal Konstructs manages coliders, it basically blew up the ship and spat Jeb into spaghetti orbit.

1 minute ago, Eskandare said:

No, it's how Kerbal Konstructs manages coliders, it basically blew up the ship and spat Jeb into spaghetti orbit.

So exactly what's happening me. Maybe it's konstructs then.  Hmmmm. Didn't try uninstalling that.

32 minutes ago, SpaceMouse said:

So exactly what's happening me. Maybe it's konstructs then.  Hmmmm. Didn't try uninstalling that.

The colider issue happens only once when placing a static. Once that is is over meshes behave as normal.

49 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

The colider issue happens only once when placing a static. Once that is is over meshes behave as normal.

It's definitely not a static object but I've had zero issues with other coliders so it's at least worth trying.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone can help me trick this thing into being a planet with 0g I would certainly appreciate it, the centrifugal element works well, but requires skill to land. I may add a runway ring for space planes. 

1 hour ago, Eskandare said:

If anyone can help me trick this thing into being a planet with 0g I would certainly appreciate it, the centrifugal element works well, but requires skill to land. I may add a runway ring for space planes. 

I believe this is a question to the awesome @Thomas P., if it's at all possible with the Kopernicus.

Edited by Enceos

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Is there a way to set the docking port to rotate in the opposite direction to keep the launch facilities in null-g? It would make it easier to land without having to match rotation, and might allow you to have a functional KSO base in orbit while you work on the issue.

To get to the interior of the colony, you could have an elevator system that takes the Kerbal from the dock to the interior. Basically, a hab module of some sort that goes to and from the surface, so the kerbal is already moving at the correct rotation and can be deposited directly on the surface. Would this work?

• 3 years later...
On 12/7/2016 at 5:44 AM, Psyden said:

Is there a way to set the docking port to rotate in the opposite direction to keep the launch facilities in null-g? It would make it easier to land without having to match rotation, and might allow you to have a functional KSO base in orbit while you work on the issue.

Hmmm... mebbe this could be worked in as a dependency? vOv

On 12/7/2016 at 5:44 AM, Psyden said:

To get to the interior of the colony, you could have an elevator system that takes the Kerbal from the dock to the interior. Basically, a hab module of some sort that goes to and from the surface, so the kerbal is already moving at the correct rotation and can be deposited directly on the surface. Would this work?

Hmmm... AlphaMensae has done some amazing work on an elevator for moving kerbals, in his LaunchTower mod... vOv

@Eskandare any chance you'ld be willing to throw what you've done so far, up on the web somewhere's, for others to poke at?

Edited by Stone Blue

On 1/23/2020 at 9:48 AM, Stone Blue said:

Hmmm... mebbe this could be worked in as a dependency? vOv

Hmmm... AlphaMensae has done some amazing work on an elevator for moving kerbals, in his LaunchTower mod... vOv

@Eskandare any chance you'ld be willing to throw what you've done so far, up on the web somewhere's, for others to poke at?

Hi @Stone Blue I've been off and on tinkering with a larger one so the rotation can be slower to maintain 1g. The original design did have a neutral orbital 'dock' but since it was originally designed as a static, it would have to have a KAS thing, or claw to attach a docking port and maybe mini station to the non rotating 'port.' Since she is so huge, a lot of work would have been needed for details and to make it pretty. Also cities and stuff on the rotating section. Maybe @Ger_space could make a simple rotator so that I don't have to use a bloated animation for the rotation. to make it a craft/part would be monstrous but rotation might be easier to achieve. I'd have to use some very simple colliders to prevent RAM and process bloat. I think, other then the BG DLC I think there is another mod that has rotations set up. The mass calculation would be massive, I'd have to be sure I didn't tempt the Kraken.  I'll be pondering this whilst I study in my astronomy program. I do want to have this available in the future to add an element of futurism, and a port for those who have achieved a level of career advancement where such a thing would be reasonable to construct. If I made it as a part (ideally) then it would have to be made via a construction mod due to the size and mass. This would create a sense of realism as the player would have to get enough resources into space to construct it.

Things it needs and hurdles to overcome:

• Enough mass that it cannot be easily knocked off course or out of orbit.
  • A model with colliders that it doesn't kill the processor or ram bloat.
  • Big enough that the rotation can be managed by the physics model/engine and provide a simulated 1g for a kerbal to stand, thus tricking the engine to think it was on the ground (this can only be done as a static due to the physics engine limitations). 
  • Ideally a part/craft so that interactions with the station can be intuitive fluid and allow for additional part building, such as  docking ports, etc. Please note this would limit the size to approximately 2km in diameter for the physics engine to handle or else the Kraken will eat Kerbal kind.

This is basically my goal with the O'Neill Cylinder or any station similar

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.