Devnotes Tuesday: A week after the release!

SQUAD

15 hours ago, SQUAD said:

telemetry code

Please dont tell me you are adding telemetry like microsoft did with windows.  Do you knwo how long it took me to find all the registry entries and delete services/stuff from win32 ect before i finally got windows to stop spying on me...

Dont add telemetry, its a horrible idea for the game to spy on us!

1 hour ago, GoSlash27 said:

I just got word back from Arsonide.

Wait! You mean that one of those hopeless Devs read, discussed and acted on the words of a user?

Horrible, our society is falling apart.

But, Arsonide is a former modder. So it's more shocking when it was revealed that Nathankell who was hired to squash bugs actually had almost daily discussions with our stock bug fixes hero saviour Claw.

Erh, Claw has a shiny yellow Squad tag, and Nathankell has a past ...

(If you're bored, check how many 'devs' are still listing their mods in their sigs :P)

5 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Please dont tell me you are adding telemetry like microsoft did with windows.  Do you knwo how long it took me to find all the registry entries and delete services/stuff from win32 ect before i finally got windows to stop spying on me...

I can't tell if you're kidding or not. In case you're not: Telemetry in this context means uncrewed craft needing connectivity to Kerbin or a crewed craft to be controlled. It has nothing to do with the game itself sending information to Squad.

37 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemetry#Rocketry

Edited by blorgon

4 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I can't tell if you're kidding or not. In case you're not: Telemetry in this context means uncrewed craft needing connectivity to Kerbin or a crewed craft to be controlled. It has nothing to do with the game itself sending information to Squad.

Ok thats a cool feature.  Im just completely paranoid recently with what microsoft has been doing (and its not just windows10 which i refuse to touch because it does more spying on users then spyware and viruses) and the patches they have been pushing onto W7/W8 users.

Also, will it be toggleable since i kinda view probes as droid brains and dont really see the logic in requiring some sort of connection.  Its a cool feature if you are trying to emulate reality, but for me and my more sci-fi inspired playstyle, id rather keep the probes as droid brains, and who ever said they dont use subspace communication or something that doesnt require LOS as it doesnt use EM waves (assuming they even have a need to communicate as droids can think on their own).  Itll kinda ruin my military campaign saves if it isnt an option given that i have AI race in it.

Edited by panzer1b

1 minute ago, panzer1b said:

Also, will it be toggleable since i kinda view probes as droid brains and dont really see the logic in requiring some sort of connection.  Its a cool feature if you are trying to emulate reality, but for me and my more sci-fi inspired playstyle, id rather keep the probes as droid brains, and who ever said they dont use subspace communication or something that doesnt require LOS as it doesnt use EM waves (assuming they even have a need to communicate as droids can think on their own)..

I don't think the feature set is finalized yet, but I would imagine it will be toggleable as a difficulty option. If it isn't, I'm sure some modder will find a way to disable it in short order.

Totally Terrific Troubleshooting To Terminate Tainted Traumatized User Troubles ....   :)

Separate UI element scaling I kinda figured was coming, just not done for 1.1, well done, and I'm sure that will be refined even further moving forward.

Looking forward to the 1.1.1 patch whenever it gets released.

16 hours ago, SQUAD said:

In 1.0.5 Nathan redid how a vessel’s center of mass was calculated. However, that had not been hooked up to the orbital calculations until now. Nathanael (NathanKell) has finally done so, improving the calculation of gravity so that orbits no longer flicker from vessel rotation.

Thank all the gods there be!  This has been a huge annoyance since 0.23.5.  Glad to see it finally laid to rest.

24 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@Red Iron Crown, if you don't mind, do try to look towards the potted plant in the corner of your office while you're speaking?  Thanks awfully. :)

Be seeing you.

36 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

Ok thats a cool feature.  Im just completely paranoid recently with what microsoft has been doing (and its not just windows10 which i refuse to touch because it does more spying on users then spyware and viruses) and the patches they have been pushing onto W7/W8 users.

Also, will it be toggleable since i kinda view probes as droid brains and dont really see the logic in requiring some sort of connection.  Its a cool feature if you are trying to emulate reality, but for me and my more sci-fi inspired playstyle, id rather keep the probes as droid brains, and who ever said they dont use subspace communication or something that doesnt require LOS as it doesnt use EM waves (assuming they even have a need to communicate as droids can think on their own).  Itll kinda ruin my military campaign saves if it isnt an option given that i have AI race in it.

If you're on the internet right now the government can get everything it needs without windows 10... so please take off the tinfoil

17 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I don't think the feature set is finalized yet, but I would imagine it will be toggleable as a difficulty option. If it isn't, I'm sure some modder will find a way to disable it in short order.

I'm totally with @panzer1b on this.  Probes requiring full-time, hands-on control from home is so mid-Twentieth Century.  It's rather ridiculous already in today's age of autonomous aircraft, let alone self-driving cars that can negotiate complex city traffic.  And it will be utterly obsolete as a concept in just a few years when we're all routinely using our cars as our designated drivers :)

Now, I admit that today's autonomous vehicles require input from GPS for high-precision navigation to specific points on the map.  But surely onboard celestial navigation is good enough for most orbital maneuvers, in the same way that today's autonomous cars have eyes to see lane stripes and traffic.  Besides, GPS is a local resource anyway.  GPS satellites at Earth do nothing for probe rovers on Mars.  If they need GPS, there'd have to be a Martian system for that, and no contact with Earth required.

15 hours ago, regex said:

Seriously though, this and the rendezvous information in map view has really made this update.  Great work, people!

Do you have a link to a screenshot or description of the rendezvous information in the map view?

2 minutes ago, godefroi said:

Do you have a link to a screenshot or description of the rendezvous information in the map view?

Smxr2sG.png

Now all we need is some orbital information on the flight screen (AP, PE, Times to, and inclination) and the altimeter having the ability to show altitude to ground as opposed to "sea level" all the time, and I'll call stock/vanilla golden.

Edited by regex

8 minutes ago, regex said:

Now all we need is some orbital information on the flight screen (AP, PE, Times to, and inclination) and the altimeter having the ability to show altitude to ground as opposed to "sea level" all the time, and I'll call stock/vanilla golden.

...and Schmelta Vee.

18 minutes ago, regex said:

...make VOID's HUDs stock?  :wink:

6 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

maceemiller,

Glad to hear it!

Now if somebody knows how to use MM, perhaps we can post this as a temporary fix in the mod thread...

Best,
-Slashy

Here, take this code, it's based on the changes you made:

Spoiler

@PART[GearFree]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleWheelSuspension]
	{
		%suspensionOffset = -0.08
		%suspensionDistance = 0.1
		%targetPosition = 0.9
		%springRatio = 25
	}

@MODULE[ModuleWheelDamage]
	{
		%deflectionMagnitude = 2
	}
}

@PART[GearFixed]:FINAL
{
	{
		%suspensionDistance = 0.2
		%springRatio = 20
		%damperRatio = 0.3
	}
}

@PART[landingLeg1]:FINAL
{
	{
		%suspensionOffset = -1.25
	}
}

@PART[landingLeg1-2]:FINAL
{
	{
		%suspensionOffset = -1.41
	}

@MODULE[ModuleWheelDeployment]
	{
		%TsubSys = 0.1
	}
}

17 hours ago, CliftonM said:

Here I am, the only one not excited for VR.  There's basically no support for Mac on it.  I'd be doing so much development for it if it was...

I'd say something smartass about "well don't use a Mac for gaming" except here I am, using Linux for gaming.

However, I'd build a new PC if I needed to for VR. Can you imagine getting out of your ship on Val, climbing down the ladder, and looking up at Jool in VR?

OTOH, I *am* waiting for 2nd gen VR as well, so people can work out the problems with the current Vive & Oculus and the price comes down a bit.

I'm still burned by buying a $250 3DConnexion Space Mouse and KSP still not supporting it on anything other than Windows.

2 hours ago, panzer1b said:

I think I remember them saying it would be toggleable, though my memory isn't great these days. @RoverDude is designing it, he can tell you for sure. 

FYI, Microsoft's use of the word 'telemetry' is somewhat inaccurate.  By definition, telemetry is gathering data from remote and inaccessible locations.  Windows PC's don't really qualify.  That is more of what you would call 'targeted advertising' or 'market research'.  For example, the company I used to work for made natural gas well telemetry devices.   These wells were everywhere but some of the more interesting places were in Canada and could only be accessed by vehicles other than helicopter during the winter when the lakes froze.

Edited by Alshain

35 minutes ago, GeneCash said:

I'd say something smartass about "well don't use a Mac for gaming" except here I am, using Linux for gaming.

However, I'd build a new PC if I needed to for VR. Can you imagine getting out of your ship on Val, climbing down the ladder, and looking up at Jool in VR?

OTOH, I *am* waiting for 2nd gen VR as well, so people can work out the problems with the current Vive & Oculus and the price comes down a bit.

I'm still burned by buying a $250 3DConnexion Space Mouse and KSP still not supporting it on anything other than Windows.

The sad thing is that Oculus doesn't think about how many game devs use Mac...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.