Devnotes Tuesday: A week after the release!

SQUAD

16 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Please also make a note of the rate of change (in meters change per second, say) at each point, for the single part case.

I've had an Orbiter One in Orbit (doh!) @ 73k-ish orbit in two sessions today (while writing boring reports).

Not documented nearly as careful as 5th but I've noticed that the rate of change increases drastically  if you let it drift for some hours.

But it's a very strange situation, since it a craft in focus and left there for hours without doing anything at all.

The only application I can think of is as a very dysfunctional screen saver :)

4 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Is anyone going to talk about the fact that all of this was over a drop of less than 0.6km per hour? :huh:

With a responsibly high orbit it would take hours to make any noticable difference. 

Maybe when you're taking advantage of the few orbits before an ejection burn to reconfigure your craft, a few hundred meters doesn't matter. When I do, though, it does. Different strokes...

On 18/05/2016 at 9:07 AM, 5thHorseman said:

Put a ship into orbit. turn off the engine and don't time warp. Go to map mode and right click your periapsis. Watch it go down and down and down.

Happens in every orbit, at every height, of every world, with every ship.

So thats how you get Pe and Ap readouts to alwas be available now, used to be left click so I was a bit confused as to why they wouldn't stay visible.

3 minutes ago, Commander Jebidiah said:

So thats how you get Pe and Ap readouts to alwas be available now, used to be left click so I was a bit confused as to why they wouldn't stay visible.

Yeah it takes a little getting used to but it's worth it to have a way to click them and see them without instead getting that little popup menu.

Helps to be on a low-gravity world (or in orbit), but I can reproduce it on Kerbin as well. EVA, run Kerbal into a landing leg. It explodes. In orbit on someplace like Minmus I need only graze the leg, while I have to work a bit at KSC to replicate it.

Touch leg at all, it explodes.

That's a showstopper bug, IMO.

Yeah, it requires a unity fix... then don't "upgrade" the production code to the new unity, IMO. EVA is flakey enough in terms of control, now you have to quick save every time you move a kerbal at all near a spacecraft with legs.

14 minutes ago, tater said:

EVA, run Kerbal into a landing leg. It explodes

I had blown up a leg by accident once, then I tried to repeat it on purpose, on a different craft. The Kerbal went *poof* instead. Quickloaded and tried again and the leg blew up, flinging the kerbal 500m away.

I've had to just stop playing.  I love this game, I hope the devs can sort out their problems, but in the meantime, the frustration level is far exceeding the fun level.  I think what broke it for me was spending a rare free afternoon watching spaceplanes veer wildly off the runway, having rockets inexplicably explode on the pad, constant freezes and CTD, and then, just for extra kicks, anytime I add a science lab to a rocket, a few seconds into flight, it flies off like it's tethered to the launchpad.

I finally gave up and decided to take out my frustrations on Wasteland 2, and you know what?  I couldn't help but notice that game is also built in Unity, and I don't have characters randomly exploding.  I don't get CTD.  I don't have random, inexplicable behavior, from the game elements.

I read posts by people who come on here and deride frustrated players such as myself by implying that we need to be patient because we're "investing in a ongoing development" or that they aren't having the same issues as so many of us, and I wonder if they're even playing the same game.  With major portions of the game in total disarray, how can you possibly be enjoying this?

I hope the devs come back well-rested from their sabbatical and ready to tackle the outstanding bugs that are making this just utterly unplayable for so many of us.  The devnotes and feedback to the community is a real bonus for a lot of us who are still waiting for a finished product to emerge, and this period of radio silence from the devs is really starting to take its toll.  Especially since there are hints that something is going on behind the scenes, which makes this feel less like a "vacation" and more like an enforced blackout.

10 minutes ago, JJE64 said:

Especially since there are hints that something is going on behind the scenes

I think some of the recently hired Squadders have been trying to get a grip on what are the causes for these bugs, so that the main developers have a starting point when they come back.

I don't want to imply that the problems others are having aren't real, but I seem to have been one of the lucky ones. I'm not plagued by CTD's, and I have been able to fly smaller jets off the T2 runway for anomaly surveys. But I have had landing legs explode on contact, and I've seen the phantom forces at work (I watched my flyby path for Minmus drift from one side of the moon to the other!)

17 minutes ago, JJE64 said:

I couldn't help but notice that game is also built in Unity, and I don't have characters randomly exploding. I don't get CTD. I don't have random, inexplicable behavior, from the game elements.

Given a quick Google search, Wasteland 2 is a top-down RPG, which uses Unity in to a fundamentally different extent. KSP heavily uses the physics components, while I can't imagine Wasteland uses much more than the 3D rendering. There's a difference in degree here. Ragdoll physics also seem to be inherently risky, as does anything that moves.

1 hour ago, Bezzier said:

...are they ever coming back?  It's been nearly 4 weeks.

It's 1 month vacation. Understandable considering the crunching, but i'd really prefer if they hadn't release with these ctds.

5 minutes ago, Temeter said:

It's 1 month vacation. Understandable considering the crunching, but i'd really prefer if they hadn't release with these ctds.

So... they should have announced "1.1 is ready. We're going to take a month vacation first, and then we'll release it as it is right now?"

In the 1.1.2 release announcement it says:

We’re releasing patch 1.1.2 to address these issues before we head off to a long overdue vacation for the next couple of weeks.

14 minutes ago, Temeter said:

So, when did a couple of weeks become a month?  Did I miss a memo?

1 minute ago, Padishar said:

In the 1.1.2 release announcement it says:

So, when did a couple of weeks become a month?  Did I miss a memo?

It's 4 weeks, which does qualify as a couple in common language.

2 minutes ago, Temeter said:

It's 4 weeks, which does qualify as a couple in common language.

Don't be ridiculous, if you know something is going to be a month then you say a month...  Saying a couple of weeks is being deliberately misleading...

are you kidding me? I was told that their vacation period ended last week, and now they're staying away another week?

Crash-To-Desktop without any error logs happening for hundreds, if not thousands of players, but it's vacation time?

Suuuuure, I'll tell my boss the next time I deliver a project unfinished, that I am entitled to time-off. See how long I keep that job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.