Devnotes Tuesday: A week after the release!

SQUAD

I'll join my voice to the chorus of people who are disappointed that "a couple weeks" ended up being much longer than that.  But unlike everyone else, my playing isn't hampered because I haven't been playing since before 1.0.5.  I'm waiting for the antenna gameplay changes Roverdude is working on (teased on the last dev notes) and especially to hear if there will ever be an option for VR in KSP (also teased on dev notes).  I don't care about IVA so much (though floating through a space station would be awesome)....I just want to see my spacecraft floating in the inky blackness of space above some planet and get the full sense of scale.

So, I eagerly HOPE that tomorrow's dev notes will be meaty! 

16 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

A reasonable suggestion, especially with the benefits of hindsight. But don't forget that the pre-release was only available on Steam, which on the evil-scale hovers only a few notches below Curse, if I were to judge by the forum responses.

I like to believe that the hastened release (because it absolutely could have benefited from another week or four in pre-release) was part due to the backlash about the Steam-only pre-release. So, hopefully by the time 1.3 comes out that process has been optimized to everyone's satisfaction (I'm sure 1.2 will come with its own set of road bumps).

I don't think it had anything to do with that.  I think it had everything to do with that Turkey guy leaving.  They wanted to get a release in while he was still working there.  I'm still not sure exactly what he did there?  But anyway, I suspect that is why they released when they did.

29 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I don't think it had anything to do with that.  I think it had everything to do with that Turkey guy leaving.  They wanted to get a release in while he was still working there.  I'm still not sure exactly what he did there?  But anyway, I suspect that is why they released when they did.

I would actually guess it was due to a scheduled release on STEAM coupled with discounts for the 1.1 release that rolled out the same day.  Most likely more a fiscal decision than a staff one.

35 minutes ago, Arsonide said:

If it helps clarify things for you guys, we are back. We will have more information in tomorrow's development notes.

I REALLY hope the first dev notes aren't just a bunch of "We're still trying to remember our passwords and what the heck it is we did around here.", which is what my first several days are like after a measly 1 week vacation.

7 minutes ago, beelzerob said:

I REALLY hope the first dev notes aren't just a bunch of "We're still trying to remember our passwords and what the heck it is we did around here.", which is what my first several days are like after a measly 1 week vacation.

Or looking at two doors that are hanging crooked in their hinges, with a lot of wood splintering around it... Weren't the servers supposed to be in this closet?

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

I'm still not sure exactly what he did there?  

I suspect running around, with his hands tucked under his armpits and flapping his elbows, yelling gobble gobble gobble?

10 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I suspect running around, with his hands tucked under his armpits and flapping his elbows, yelling gobble gobble gobble?

Lol, I didn't mean to imply he didn't do anything useful, just that I don't know what it was.

1 hour ago, Arsonide said:

If it helps clarify things for you guys, we are back. We will have more information in tomorrow's development notes.

Since no one else seems to have noticed, I'll be the one.

YAY!

3 hours ago, Arsonide said:

Just barely in time too. Some of the forum rabble may have a few a couple .. a question or five ("three, Sir!") uh three for you guys.

12 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Or looking at two doors that are hanging crooked in their hinges, with a lot of wood splintering around it... Weren't the servers supposed to be in this closet?

Talking of doors ... do we have no Game of Thrones discussion anywhere here? I expected to see one after the last episode, but nothing on the first five pages in the Lounge.

11 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Talking of doors ... do we have no Game of Thrones discussion anywhere here? I expected to see one after the last episode, but nothing on the first five pages in the Lounge.

By all means do not bring anything up here. Especially anything not buried under at least 2 spoiler tags.

39 minutes ago, Wolf Baginski said:

I will admit I was starting ro wonder, but it makes sense that the first Dev Notes would be about a week after the vacation ended. They they would have had time to do something worth reporting on.

What makes you think that the vacation ended a week ago?  As far as I can make out from the various posts, they started back yesterday, which means they had three weeks off since the release of 1.1.2 exactly as @sal_vager said above...

I still think @KasperVld calling it a couple of weeks was deliberately misleading though, if they knew it was going to be three they should have said three.  I can put up with the bugs and the poorly optimised code and all the other technical issues but this sort of "community reaction management" (otherwise known as "lying") really gets me annoyed...

Edited by Padishar

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/couple

Idioms
a couple of, more than two, but not many, of; a small number of; a few: It will take a couple of days for the package to get there.
A dinner party, whether for a couple of old friends or eight new acquaintances, takes nearly the same amount of effort.
Also, Informal, a couple.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/couple

:  an indefinite small number :  few <a couple of days ago>

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/couple

a couple of

: two of or a few of : two (things) or a few (things)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/couples

Informal A few; several: a couple of days.

I can go on, but I think you get the point @Padishar, 'couple' is not defined as strictly meaning two.

Now we'll all move on from this, thank you.

1 hour ago, Padishar said:

poorly optimised code

Uh...  What?

In some situations, the game runs about 8 times faster than before. I really don't know what you expect here. 120 FPS with 5000 parts on a netbook?

4 minutes ago, Kobymaru said:

In some situations, the game runs about 8 times faster than before. I really don't know what you expect here. 120 FPS with 5000 parts on a netbook?

Get real.  For a start there aren't many situations where 1.1 runs 8 times faster and what do you actually mean by 8 times faster?  Yes it does generally run faster, but more like 2 to 3 times the framerate in my tests with large vessels.  There is still a lot of very poorly optimised code in KSP as Squad would agree (if they didn't seem to be allergic to posting admissions of their flaws).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.