Devnotes Tuesday: A week after the release!

SQUAD

5 minutes ago, OddFunction said:

Put Sal on the payroll. The dudes basically selfless and is universally beloved to boot. Who better?

Agreed. He has been incredibly helpful in helping to track down means to get the linux version to at least a partially running state.

39 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

I sure hope wheels and legs get fixed. Kinda pointless playing until I can safely land again...

Good gravy, hallelujah, you surely do speak the truth, brother!!  Squad's wheels have ALWAYS sucked, but now with 1.1, they suck even MORE, which I wouldn't have believed to be possible until I saw it for myself.  Plus, now, the landing legs are broken now too!  Unbelievable...

The only thing that actually works better for me now than in pre-1.1 is the Airplane/Spaceplane landing gear, it's actually halfway decent now.  It's still fugly (can you name an aircraft made in the last 50 YEARS - okay, OTHER than the A-10 Thunderbolt II, a.k.a. the "Warthog" - that has big bulging externally mounted landing gear pods?  No, you can't, because there are none!), they look all long and spindly when deployed, but at least the suspension works okay now.  That's 'okay', not 'great', or even 'well', because there's very little damping to the 'springs', so whenever I land the plane bounces a few times, but like I said, they do work better than before, so there's that.  But, since 1.1 FUBAR'd BahamutoD's Adjustable Landing Gear, and it doesn't look like that mod is going to be fixed or updated any time soon, they've all I've got now if I want to build a spaceplane.

So, Squad, you really do need to have another go at making some good FLUSH-MOUNTING spaceplane landing gear, not the big bulging 1950's-era-prop-plane designs that you have now.  Oh, that and fixing the wheels and landing legs too, plus how about adding another half-dozen designs of BOTH of those things while you're at it, in all different sizes and designs and ground-clearances and such.  And by 'fix' I mean 'give them actual working SUSPENSION, that actually PROTECTS the rover and/or lander that they're attached to'.  :)

My $0.02, fwiw.  :wink: 

The "wheels blocked" problem (a work-around to prevent craft destruction when wheels are placed, or get too close to other parts on a craft) is the one most likely to NOT get fixed by a 1.1.1 patch. But as GoSlash27 has found in his editing of cfg files, it may be possible to improve / fix some other wheel and leg problems without a Unity engine update. Eagerly looking forward to what 1.1.1 may bring! :) 

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

Dave (TriggerAu) found some time to look at the user interface code: we’ve now implemented and tested some per element scaling and NavBall sliding in the Flight UI to help people get the look that works for them. It’s working for almost all the elements independently, but testing may mean we have to disable it for one or two items. We’d also like to thank Sarbian for the tips he gave on the Navball burn label. Here’s a screenshot of the new settings: http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0BzVqb8YpCXy6QURlY2VicFhXbEE

WHOO! Thanks @TriggerAu!

Also, @TriggerAu, think you could slip in a slider for the text scale? Because that's the last remaining UI problem to tackle. Unless you guys want to try and solve that without using the scaler.

23 minutes ago, CliftonM said:

Here I am, the only one not excited for VR.

I would be, but I am a father of four five, and it could be 10 years or more, if ever, before I have the money to buy a system that can handle VR so...hard to be excited for something out of my reach.

21 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@GoSlash27 as @Arsonide has mentioned a few times he's been working on the wheels and has been for a good few months now, and I can certainly say he's been working his heart out and has come up with tons of potential workarounds for Unity issues. We are doing what we can, but you're right that many are not the sort of issues that can be hotfixed away.

Thanks for the reminder we just wanted an update.  Sad to hear this may be an ongoing issue for a very long time, especially since it does make some parts of the game virtually unplayable.  For a fully released game that could be hazardous to the long term viability of the game.  As a huge fan of the game I find that very unfortunate. 

20 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@GoSlash27 as @Arsonide has mentioned a few times he's been working on the wheels and has been for a good few months now, and I can certainly say he's been working his heart out and has come up with tons of potential workarounds for Unity issues. We are doing what we can, but you're right that many are not the sort of issues that can be hotfixed away.

NathanKell,
 Thanks for the info. I've got all sorts of patience, and we've got the problem halfway "crutched" as it is. Please pass on my thanks to @Arsonide for his efforts and my offer of anything I can do to help without getting in the way.

Best,
-Slashy

1 minute ago, mcirish3 said:

I would be, but I am a father of four five, and it could be 10 years or more, if ever, before I have the money to buy a system that can handle VR so...hard to be excited for something out of my reach.

Thanks for the reminder we just wanted an update.  Sad to hear this may be an ongoing issue for a very long time, especially since it does make some parts of the game virtually unplayable.  For a fully released game that could be hazardous to the long term viability of the game.  As a huge fan of the game I find that very unfortunate. 

They're in a better state than when the open pre-release experimentials started, I'll definetly give them that.

As Nathan said, it's not so simple that it can be hotfixed away.

6 minutes ago, Hodari said:

According to ckan at least, Asteroid Day still isn't compatible with 1.1.  Any plans to update it any time soon?

It's stock now.

I'm a little confused, is all this stuff in the first few paragraphs part of the 1.1.fix or is that talking about 1.2.  Are we getting the Satellite stuff this week?

Edited by Alshain

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I'm a little confused, is all this stuff in the first few paragraphs part of the 1.1.fix or is that talking about 1.2.  Are we getting the Satellite stuff this week?

Nope :)  Just getting prepped to see what changes I need to make based on all of the 1.1 changes.

Just now, RoverDude said:

Nope :)  Just getting prepped to see what changes I need to make based on all of the 1.1 changes.

I figured as much but the way the OP went from "patch this week" straight into the other stuff made it a bit confusing.

No mention of the game crashing, unless that is lumped in with 'performance optimization'.  I couldn't care less about the wheels and legs, my game won't stay running for more than 5 minutes at a time.  Quite frankly, that is the bigger issue than landing gear.

Edited by Alshain

2 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Dave (TriggerAu) found some time to look at the user interface code: we’ve now implemented and tested some per element scaling and NavBall sliding in the Flight UI to help people get the look that works for them. It’s working for almost all the elements independently, but testing may mean we have to disable it for one or two items. We’d also like to thank Sarbian for the tips he gave on the Navball burn label. Here’s a screenshot of the new settings: http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0BzVqb8YpCXy6QURlY2VicFhXbEE

Have my first-born!

Seriously though, this and the rendezvous information in map view has really made this update.  Great work, people!

Awesome. Great denotes thanks.

Any chance we could move scale the toolbar to 0% or put it back along the top of the screen (I think it was better that way IMHO). Sitting with that can we get the option of moving other UI elements around.   I like the idea of putting my staging horizontally along the bottom or top of the screen especially if I can move the Navball across to the left or right. 

Or should I put these in the suggestions forum?

Peace.

Do you have a green/yellow/red list for 1.1.1 saying what know issues are fixed, what might be fixed (but don't hold your breath), and what can't be fixed right now (for whatever reason, i.e. needs Unity 5.3, requires major system reworking, will take too long and you don't want to delay the fixes that are ready etc).

Would it be possible to include the Asteroid Day antenna in 1.1.1 (but set its part category to -1)?  That way vessels which had included it previously could still be loaded, while they won't function, the saves players had using them could be continued without their vessels being deleted.

I can see FlightUI scaling elements, and while I'm not sure if it's possible right now, could we please get KSC scaling element? Being able to tweak the side panel sizes (especialy for the R&D screen), or part-icon sizes in the VAB/SPH and other elements at the KSC buildings and space center scene itself would be marvellous.

25 minutes ago, Alshain said:

No mention of the game crashing, unless that is lumped in with 'performance optimization'.  I couldn't care less about the wheels and legs, my game won't stay running for more than 5 minutes at a time.  Quite frankly, that is the bigger issue than landing gear.

They are working hard on at least one particular crashing issue; some of these are difficult to reproduce consistently, and they probably don't want to risk disappointment by over-promising. They could fix one or three obscure sources of crashes, but it might not be the one you see.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.