Merging Vessels

I have no idea what I am doing wrong.  I have created a rover in the hanger and tested it on the runway.  I now want to connect it to a rocket in VAB.  I know I have done this before but for some reason when I merge the rover with the rocket I can't get them to connect this time. I have a TR 2C stack separator on the rocket but the rover will not attach to it.  Even if I put the stack separator on the rover it still does't connect.  There must be a way of doing this because I have done it before and I do not think I am doing anything differently this time.  Step by step what I am doing is this:

In VAB Load a rocket that already has a rover attached

Remove the rover

Select Load then Merge and select a new rover from the hanger

The new rover is identical to the old one with just a few more science experiments on board but it will just not connect, though I can put the old one back on the rocket.

Any help greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Hodari said:

Make sure that you set the part you want to attach it by as the root part before you save it.

I am not sure how to set something being the root, but your suggestion gave me an idea.  The front of the rover is a Propodyne OKTO and the top of my rocket is Propodyne HECS on top of which I had a TR-2C separator.  The rover would not connect to the separator, but if I removed the separator then the rover and rocket would connect. I then disconnected them and put the separator back and it all connected up fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.