Is 64bit stable now?

guitarxe

I don't really use so many mods to really need it, but I do sometimes build stuff so huge that the game just crashes. Now with 1.1, is 64bit stable and useable now? Before it was recommended not to use it because of stability and bug issues.

I've not had any crashes yet when running without mods.  However when I've ran with Kerbal Space Engineer the game crashed so frequently I felt it was unplayable, I don't know if other people have experienced this as well.

I'm playing 1.1 x64 with Outer Planets Mod, Kerbal engineer and Near Future Electrical. The game's performance has increased dramatically for me, but sometimes the game crashes, especially during staging or after you've been playing it for hours. But it's worth it, since autosaves turn that into a mere annoyance.

Edited by Jeanjvs

15 minutes ago, Jeanjvs said:

I'm playing 1.1 x64 with Outer Planets Mod, Kerbal engineer and Near Future Electrical. The game's performance has increased dramatically for me, but sometimes the game crashes, especially during staging or after you've been playing it for hours. But it's worth it, since autosaves turn that into a mere annoyance.

It also starts up faster, even after I added more mods the start up is faster.

The maneuver node is a bit wonky though, that might be because I have a few mods that aren't technically 1.1 ready yet.

Edited by Mastikator

When the pre-release started, I alternated using x32 and x64.  I saw no difference between them, so I quit using x32 after about 3 days and haven't touched it since.  x64 seems to be just as stable as x32 and all mods work just fine in it, even those that have long said they don't support x64.  In fact, a number of key mods (such as KJR) have now said they're cool with x64.

Edited by Geschosskopf

Seems to be absolutely stable. No notable difference from 1.0.5 32 bit.

2 hours ago, Jeanjvs said:

The crashes are almost only reported for modded installs tho. There are still a bunch of quirks in mods like kerbal engineer, and near future mods are their own 'prerelease' anway, although I didn't have notable issues with them yet.

Since the start of pre-release I have had 3 crashes (and I've done a couple days with some long sessions), so I'd say it's pretty stable.  Amusingly enough the first thing it did when I launched the first pre-release build was to crash and I was like "oh great, here we go", but since then it's been very stable.  

BUT there are other people who are finding that it's very unstable and some who can't get it running at all. So....experience may vary because of.....?

The 64-bit and 32-bit versions of windohs edition of 1.1 are equivalent now in terms of stability.  I did extensive testing of both clients during the pre-release, and didn't notice any major difference between the two (unlike before, the experimental win 64-bit version in the past had a .. twitchy, glitchy feel to it).

Note that the 64-bit client has a higher memory overhead, but that shouldn't be a problem as long as system memory isn't constrained.

4 hours ago, guitarxe said:

I don't really use so many mods to really need it, but I do sometimes build stuff so huge that the game just crashes. Now with 1.1, is 64bit stable and useable now? Before it was recommended not to use it because of stability and bug issues.

64bit builds haven't been unstable for long before 1.0 came out, the last time 64bit would have been unstable was probably .23. You should have no problems with 64bit.

6 hours ago, Mastikator said:

It also starts up faster, even after I added more mods the start up is faster.

Oh, yes! The loading time for everything (the game, the ships, the buildings on KSC, etc.) has become much smaller.

4 hours ago, Temeter said:

Seems to be absolutely stable. No notable difference from 1.0.5 32 bit.

The crashes are almost only reported for modded installs tho. There are still a bunch of quirks in mods like kerbal engineer, and near future mods are their own 'prerelease' anway, although I didn't have notable issues with them yet.

I forgot to mention that i installed those mods as soon as i got 1.1 , so i can't really compare the stability of the 2 versions. But after looking at the improvements i found on x64, that wouldn't be surprising.

I've been running on 1.1 for a couple of weeks now and it seems fairly stable.

For the first week I ran stock and didn't have a single crash.

The second week I added 18 mods which have all upgraded to 1.1 and I now crash about once per day.  Curiously, I always crash in the VAB right after loading a craft and trying to make an alteration.  When I reload, I run stable for hours.

MM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.