why does my screen say "physx>cpu"?

flyboy67109

Curious, in the NVIDIA control panel, under 'Configure Surround, PhysX', do you have PhysX settings set to CPU instead of auto?

Not sure where you would control displaying the status though, I don't see any with a quick glance through the settings.

6 minutes ago, Draco T stand-up guy said:

Now imagine the performance of the game if it did.

I'm continually surprised by developers not using the full power available to them.

It's not really suitable for KSP's style of physics, as I understand it. Great for a lot of simple, independent objects; not so good for a bunch of connected ones like a KSP craft.

57 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

It's not really suitable for KSP's style of physics, as I understand it. Great for a lot of simple, independent objects; not so good for a bunch of connected ones like a KSP craft.

If they're using the Physx SDK, which they are, then it will run on the GPU. If they're only running on the CPU then it's because they've chosen to do that and it probably has more to do with not everyone having an nVidia GPU than anything to do with the physics.

4 minutes ago, Draco T stand-up guy said:

If they're using the Physx SDK, which they are, then it will run on the GPU. If they're only running on the CPU then it's because they've chosen to do that and it probably has more to do with not everyone having an nVidia GPU than anything to do with the physics.

Cloth simulation only, nVidia hardware only, Windows only. It's a non-starter.

17 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

But what if we calculate KSPs spaceships via cloth simulation? Didn't think about that, did you?

This is an obvious attempt by Squad to deliberatly avoid using the NVidia GPUs power to sustain parity with AMD. Makes me wonder how AMD has paid off Squad to achieve that. Maybe they are soon creating advertising campaigns for a certain chip/gpu producer, who knows...

Spoiler

Or no developer ever used physX' GPU support for core applications, because it's nearly useless for most games outside of some graphical effects. But that would be too reasonable to assume, lets be generally offended. :^)

Edited by Temeter

7 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Actually, it runs on OpenGL and DirextX and has hardbody capability. The only one that applies is the nVidia hardware and a simple test on install would take care of that - as developers used to do when Intel and then AMD started releasing competing instruction sets for the x86 CPUs. Of course it does take more development time on the part of Unity (game developers wouldn't be affected) but that's actually the whole point of game engines.

ATi have their own facsimile of nVidia's Physx engine just to confuse things. If they were actually intelligent they'd all be getting together with the rest of the Tech sector and setting standards for what a physics engine does and the instructions it has.

It doesn't run on OpenGL or DirectX, it's done with CUDA. The hardbody mode is not implemented in Unity, even if it was I am not convinced there would be performance gains for a constrained chain of them (it would be awesome for RUD, though). Similar to how the physics on a single vessel still doesn't thread well even with U5's better multithreading support. I think it's too difficult a problem (even academia has no good threading solutions for it) and too edge a case for Unity to chase, honestly.

And really GPUs in general are mostly used for parallelization, working off a huge number of simple tasks. Like calculating 124 million pixels per second to show on your screen (1080p 60fps).

But there are a lot of things GPUs can't do, and that's why we have CPUs in the first place. You can't just take a CPUs task and give it to the GPU.

That's not even talking about the issue of parallelization in KSP itself: KSP can only use a single core pro ship. So there isn't even a possiblity for CUDA cores to help with ships in the first place. There is no hidden, magical power to unlock. Not without completely changing the way we use pc's.

6 minutes ago, razark said:

That's not really how solar sails work, you know.

If you got a sword, every problem looks like a neck. And we got cloth simulation. I don't see the issue, only a lack of creativity.

Edited by Temeter

4 minutes ago, Temeter said:

If you got a sword, every problem looks like a neck. And we got cloth simulation. I don't see the issue, only a lack of creativity.

First sails, now swords.  Kerbal: Space Pirates?

29 minutes ago, razark said:

First sails, now swords.  Kerbal: Space Pirates?

Carry on, I like your way of thinking.

So I heard KSP is getting multiplayer? Just asking, no particular purpuse. *readies claw*

29 minutes ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

So... 1.2?

Only if calculated in valve time.

Edited by Temeter

There is a problem with Nvidia cards where you try to turn is off the visual indicator in the control panel it just resets and leaves the setting checked. And Nvidia's solution to this problem is... ( drum roll ) nothing. Yes, ladies and gentlemen. This is a known issue that has been reported to Nvidia over several years (first post is 2011) and their decision is just to ignore it. Some people had found that uninstalling the drivers and then reinstalling them MAY fix the issue. However, in some cases (as in my case) it makes no difference. I'm running this on a laptop and am looking for a replacement so I now know what video card NOT to get. I would express my true feeling for Nvidia here but this is a family friendly forum.

Edited by flyboy67109

4 hours ago, flyboy67109 said:

There is a problem with Nvidia cards where you try to turn is off the visual indicator in the control panel it just resets and leaves the setting checked. And Nvidia's solution to this problem is... ( drum roll ) nothing. Yes, ladies and gentlemen. This is a known issue that has been reported to Nvidia over several years (first post is 2011) and their decision is just to ignore it. Some people had found that uninstalling the drivers and then reinstalling them MAY fix the issue. However, in some cases (as in my case) it makes no difference. I'm running this on a laptop and am looking for a replacement so I now know what video card NOT to get. I would express my true feeling for Nvidia here but this is a family friendly forum.

Yeah, NVidia drivers. I had to update my drivers manually for ~3+ years because their stupid installation program was completely borked on my PC. Lots of common issues, but never got fixed. Only worked for me after i formated my PC after a mainboard switch.

I mean, AMD has a bit of a bad reputation when it's about their drivers, but NVidia offers a huge array of loveups and ignorance as well.

Edited by Temeter

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.