Jump to content

Kerberos


Ultimate Steve
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't know if this belongs here, but I'm pretty sure it does.

So, I was randomly browsing the internet today, and I discovered that Pluto has a moon named Kerberos. It is the fourth moon of Pluto, and was discovered back in 2011... BUT it was named in mid 2013. The article says it was named after an asteroid, but you've got to wonder... maybe the person who suggested that name played KSP.

Probably not, but, even so, it would be an interesting coincidence. Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SuperFastJellyfish said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerberus

Kerberos (Κέρβερος) is the Greek spelling for Cerberus from Greek mythology.  :)

Here';s a funny thing.  I KNOW all that you say above and have for decades, the benefit of a classical education.  And I was reminded of it only last year with New Horizons.  Yet even so, my Tex-Mex-Cajun core programming, which knows KSP is hecho en Mexico, took over my mental processing and immediately interpreted "Kerberos" as a Tex-Mex-style Spanglish slang word.  "Kerb-" obviously for Kerbals, and "-eros" as the suffix denoting those who work with, use, wrangle, or create the aforementioned Kerbals.  Therefore, "Kerberos" is a functional translation into Tex-Mex Spanglish of "Squad".At least the way my twisted mind works.  And depending on the shade of meaning you put on the "-eros" suffix, it could equally apply to the greater KSP community.

So I say we should all rejoice.  Squad, and everybody here in this forum, is plausibly the namesake of a Plutonian moon.  Have the mezcaleros bring a round of drinks! :D

I really should move to a place where I hear snippets of far fewer languages in everyday speech......

 

 

Edited by Geschosskopf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Here';s a funny thing.  I KNOW all that you say above and have for decades, the benefit of a classical education.  And I was reminded of it only last year with New Horizons.  Yet even so, my Tex-Mex-Cajun core programming, which knows KSP is hecho en Mexico, took over my mental processing and immediately interpreted "Kerberos" as a Tex-Mex-style Spanglish slang word.  "Kerb-" obviously for Kerbals, and "-eros" as the suffix denoting those who work with, use, wrangle, or create the aforementioned Kerbals.  Therefore, "Kerberos" is a functional translation into Tex-Mex Spanglish of "Squad".At least the way my twisted mind works.  And depending on the shade of meaning you put on the "-eros" suffix, it could equally apply to the greater KSP community.

So I say we should all rejoice.  Squad, and everybody here in this forum, is plausibly the namesake of a Plutonian moon.  Have the mezcaleros bring a round of drinks! :D

I really should move to a place where I hear snippets of far fewer languages in everyday speech......

 

 

Being spanish myself, I think I would use "Ka-ese-peros" (Our version of "KSPers"), but hey, pretty close. Maybe "kerbalero"? Which, come to think about it, sounds a bit like "caballero"...

 

Rune. Maybe I need to go to bed now. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

I really should move to a place where I hear snippets of far fewer languages in everyday speech......

Don't. Knowing multiple languages can get you much broader view of the world than if you only knew one, especially since you can travel to all the places where those languages are spoken commonly. And if you don't have an opportunity to use your languages, they will be lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rune said:

Being spanish myself, I think I would use "Ka-ese-peros" (Our version of "KSPers"), but hey, pretty close. Maybe "kerbalero"? Which, come to think about it, sounds a bit like "caballero"...

I thought of caballero myself, along with vaquero, mezcalero, and tequillero, being Tex-Mex-Cajun and all, but the Plutonian moon isn't "Kerbaleros", it's "Kerberos".  Thus, if we want to claim it as our own, we must sadly resort to Tex-Mex slang-uage Spanglish :)

 

2 minutes ago, Rune said:

Rune. Maybe I need to go to bed now. :)

I certainly should :wink:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Don't. Knowing multiple languages can get you much broader view of the world than if you only knew one, especially since you can travel to all the places where those languages are spoken commonly. And if you don't have an opportunity to use your languages, they will be lost.

Where I live, the spoken language is a mix of 18th Century varieties of English, French, and Spanish with heavy influences from 6 or 7 different Indian languages from both North and South America, plus Algerian and a dash of German, all seasoned with numerous West African languages of the same centuries-old vintage as the European.  Move a few miles in any direction and the ratios of these various ingredients changes dramatically.  Most of the time, people hereabouts don't know what they're saying because they don't know which language their speaking :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely did not come about from KSP. As posted above it's from mythology. For the computer science geeks, the Kerberos protocol has been around since the 1980s apparently. Sometimes on networks you'll see references to the "Kerberos realm," I first noticed it in the early 2000s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_%28protocol%29

Edited by Pwnstarr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

How about we go the other way around? Give Eeloo a moon, name it Kerberos or something along those lines.

That's now how you do it.  Instead, I propose that we start an "Occupy Kerberos" movement :)

 

24 minutes ago, Enorats said:

Wait, the ancient Greek played KSP? Those guys were so ahead of their time.

Amen to that.  This all adds an extra note of poignancy to reading Sagan's ode to ancient Greek civilization in his Cosmos book.

Edited by Geschosskopf
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...