[1.1] stock landing gear bug fixer

GoSlash27

This patch is for use with Module Manager, available here:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/50533-110-module-manager-2622-april-19th-with-even-more-sha-and-less-bug/#comment-720814

This is the link for the .cfg edit patch. Just download it and place it in your KSP folder.

http://wikisend.com/download/195974/1_1GearFixer.cfg

What it fixes:

*LY-01 fixed landing gear: Skittering, clipping, explosion on landing and spawning.

*LY-05 steerable nosewheel: Skittering, clipping, explosion on landing and spawning.

*LT-1 landing leg: Clipping, throwing vessel into the air during retraction

*LT-2 landing leg: Clipping, throwing vessel into the air during retraction.

This patch is just a band-aid until Squad rolls out the hotfix.

Special thanks to @severedsolo for writing the patch, @Arsonide for pointers on how the new variables work, and everyone that volunteered to be guinea pigs!

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Can I get a clarification on exactly what this fixes?

My main problem is an undamped, unstable roll oscillation from left main gear to right main gear starting at 25-30m/s on the takeoff roll and growing until the aircraft crashes. Is this the skittering problem?

Some caveats:

• I'm in career mode with only the minimal aerospace parts, using fuel tanks behind mk I cockpit, two small Juno engines in an "MD-80" config, and swept wings
  • main gear (LY-01) are attached to the fuselage just below halfway up the sides and rotated to the normal vertical position to have the tires at the same vertical position as the nose gear
  • gear have been checked for correct orientation
  • attempted takeoff with suspension active and inactive
  • rudder control frozen
  • upgraded runway once

I'm observing the same behavior using the cfg and not using the cfg.

Thanks much!

55 minutes ago, Bedwyr said:

Can I get a clarification on exactly what this fixes?

My main problem is an undamped, unstable roll oscillation from left main gear to right main gear starting at 25-30m/s on the takeoff roll and growing until the aircraft crashes. Is this the skittering problem?

Some caveats:

• I'm in career mode with only the minimal aerospace parts, using fuel tanks behind mk I cockpit, two small Juno engines in an "MD-80" config, and swept wings
  • main gear (LY-01) are attached to the fuselage just below halfway up the sides and rotated to the normal vertical position to have the tires at the same vertical position as the nose gear
  • gear have been checked for correct orientation
  • attempted takeoff with suspension active and inactive
  • rudder control frozen
  • upgraded runway once

I'm observing the same behavior using the cfg and not using the cfg.

Thanks much!

Bedwyr,

This adjustment is specifically for clipping problems, where the aircraft experiences phantom forces from the moment it's spawned. These phantom forces cause the aircraft to vibrate and slide uncontrollably, resulting in flipping and, in minor cases, explosion of the landing gear when you try to land.

Unfortunately, your problem is a completely different (but known) bug, so it can't be solved by this adjustment. It has something to do with the lateral grip of the tires and flimsiness of the attachment point to the aircraft.

Good news is we've been able to solve your "shimmy" problem through tweaking how the gear is attached to the aircraft. Do you have a craft file? I'll be happy to take a look at it for you.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Hi Slashy,

Thanks for the hard work and help but my LT-2 still clipping and throwing.  Should have have modulemanager installed?  main KSP folder right? not game data?  Just want to make sure I did it right before I say it not working for me.

Edit Screenies:
Svcfb2y.png
1Dk4Bnh.png

Edited by mcirish3

11 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

so it can't be solved by this adjustment. It has something to do with the lateral grip of the tires and flimsiness of the attachment point to the aircraft.

Thanks for the information. Here's a pastebin of the craft file: http://pastebin.com/RtGUtmFr

Do you have a link to the bug tracker entry for this one or any further details? Is it treated as a bug or a no-fix due to other issues, low priority vs other wheel issues, etc, etc?

Bedwyr,

I've been playing with your craft and my settings, and I just can't seem to make it behave. I suspect it's just too much plane for these gear. I was able to soften the roll oscillation at speed, but wasn't able to fully eliminate it.

I'll keep messing with it. Just wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten you.

Best,
-Slashy

11 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

@mcirish3,

Did it work for you?

-Slashy

Finally got time to load up KSP, and installing modular manager did not fix the issue.  still no worky. Not that big of a deal since hot fix inbound in the next 24-36 hours.  It is supposed to fix this.

Edited by mcirish3

3 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Bedwyr,

I've been playing with your craft and my settings, and I just can't seem to make it behave. I suspect it's just too much plane for these gear. I was able to soften the roll oscillation at speed, but wasn't able to fully eliminate it.

I'll keep messing with it. Just wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten you.

Best,
-Slashy

Well I certainly appreciate the effort. I think this is important because it is a common configuration early in career mode. The weight imposed by jet fuel Mk I tanks and the swept wings shouldn't be unreasonable and the expectation is that these gear should be sufficient for anything you fly that early (and pretty necessary to complete early survey missions). You concur that's not a crazy, out-there opinion right?

Essentially I don't want to be accused of "doing it wrong".

Bedwyr,

The good news is the 1.1.1 patch is out now. If you start over and ignore this crutch, you should be fine now. The gear are much better behaved.

And FWIW, you'd have to go far out of your way to be "doing it wrong". Me personally, I use the entry- level gear for my science cart to hoover up science around KSC and don't bother building planes until I'm ready to build spaceplanes. For more difficult career settings, I may build a light science plane to range out a bit, but it doesn't go further than the Desert biome, so it doesn't require much fuel mass. If I ever need to hit tundra and badlands, I either build a bigger plane with better gear or just lob a science package out to it ICBM style.

Best,
-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

6 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Bedwyr,

The good news is the 1.1.1 patch is out now. If you start over and ignore this crutch, you should be fine now. The gear are much better behaved.

Best,
-Slashy

Ok, I'll give it a go with same/similar design and report back. Was my design quite heavy? I suspected it might be as the "engine" bodies were Mk0 fuel tanks. I couldn't figure out a better place to put them and didn't have 1.5m engines unlocked.

Oog, sorry, no luck. I recreated the vehicle in sandbox mode and observed a sudden nosegear crash. Launched again and saw the same oscillating behavior. I'll try to load the craft file back in and check that.

Edit: Yeah, tried it with the pastebin data and got the same thing. No dice there.

It's like the 01 gear and the 05 gear are acting like tundra tires on stiffened oleo struts:

Edited by Bedwyr

@GoSlash27 I haven't had a chance to retest, probably won't until the weekend, but can you explain the changes you made (and maybe point me to your latest rev LT-1/LT-2 config files)?  One of the first things I usually do is make scaled versions of the landing gear (I think I usually end up using 2x LT-1's) and it's clear that's going to be more complicated in 1.1.  Hints would be appreciated!

(And before anyone suggests it -- Tweakscale wasn't doing this right last I checked, and I prefer not to install Tweakscale anyway.  It's a really nice mod when it works, and doesn't break anything else . . . but it either doesn't work or breaks something else a little too often for me.)

Hey Slashy,

Would you be willing to cross compare my craft file with this one:

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/9498

I'm trying to evaluate the two and whether this is the same problem, but to my surprise this craft file flies just fine for me. Some tweaking needed and I see the nose gear clipping through the runway but it gets off the runway ok.

Maybe the lower CG position or the further-to-the-side attach point is enough of an arm to prevent the runaway harmonic of the suspension.

Edited by Bedwyr

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.