[1.2.x] Contract Pack: Interplanetary Mountaineer v1.1.2

Syntax

18 hours ago, graphite747 said:

First off, great idea Syntax! Secondly, do you have any plans to offer a second version compatible with RSS?

Thanks! I had not yet considered it, no. I haven't gotten around to playing in RSS myself yet, and it doesn't look like I will anytime soon :( I am away from the game but not from the community.

That said, the coordinates for the max/min waypoints were fetched from kerbalmaps.com (even I have not visited them all yet! Updates to come as I make them as accurate as possible).

So if anyone can provide the coordinates of the max/min elevations for RSS, I would gladly look into making a RSS version, or welcome anyone to try it themselves (it would not be hard). Hyperedit and Vessel Mover have been useful tools for me already and would lend themselves well to a task like this!

If not, well, perhaps I'll get to it eventually :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

In case you haven't figured it out, the problem (for most of the incorrect heights) is the terrain detail; kerbal maps is assuming 'high' and not 'default'.

This is what the default terrain detail looks like on kerbin.

Spoiler

F2DB7879C6266E3D8FD01631CCB9852A87DF79F6

And this is high detail.

Spoiler

493CE13739206F2F556DC4048E7AD7E0CE93D5D5

• 1 month later...

True location of K1 summit on the Mun: 82*31'13"S, 152*23'57"W.

Strangely, walking from the spaceship to the peak, I exited the active zone for completing the contract.  It's only a couple hundred meters off though.

5 hours ago, fourfa said:

True location of K1 summit on the Mun: 82*31'13"S, 152*23'57"W.

Strangely, walking from the spaceship to the peak, I exited the active zone for completing the contract.  It's only a couple hundred meters off though.

Thanks for the coordinates @fourfa! Will verify this soon and update the numbers :)

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Stratickus said:

Highest I was able to get on Kerbin was 6764m @ Lat 61.5983422096082 Long 61.5983422096082 according to Waypoint Manager. I was unable to complete the contract in game however. I had to F12 complete it..

Sorry to hear about your difficulties @Stratickus :(

Are your terrain rendering settings low? Are you using the kopernicus mod? We've found these can lead to problems.

2 hours ago, Syntax said:

Sorry to hear about your difficulties @Stratickus :(

Are your terrain rendering settings low? Are you using the kopernicus mod? We've found these can lead to problems.

I am using kopernicus, for OPM. I'll have to check my terrain settings though. I want to say the closest I got to the point the contract wanted me to go to was about 38m. I don't recall exactly though. Still a cool mod! 

On 8/29/2016 at 9:10 AM, Syntax said:

@Stratickus I've published an updated version of the pack with a wider radius around the waypoints. You should be able to complete the contracts within 150m of the waypoints now.

@Syntax I just redid the mission and ran into similar issues. I was able to complete the contract this time though, without having to resort to Alt-F12, so your tweak worked. I meant to take a screen shot of the contract waypoint vs where I physically was at K1's peak, but I must have already had completed the Mountain biome EVA earlier because as soon as I planted the flag to illustrate the difference, the contract auto completed and the mission waypoint disappeared. I'd estimate it was about 50-100m off though. The closest I was able to get was 34m and I was more or less directly below it, slightly down the slope of K1. The contract waypoint appears to hovering roughly 30m in the air and probably 50m or so horizontally displaced from what is the K1 peak for me. In the end, the mission got me to visit K1, which is the whole point anyway right?

To answer your earlier question, my terrain settings are set to default, so medium? Thanks again, really like the mod.

Cheers,

Edited by Stratickus

16 hours ago, Stratickus said:

@Syntax I just redid the mission and ran into similar issues. I was able to complete the contract this time though, without having to resort to Alt-F12, so your tweak worked. I meant to take a screen shot of the contract waypoint vs where I physically was at K1's peak, but I must have already had completed the Mountain biome EVA earlier because as soon as I planted the flag to illustrate the difference, the contract auto completed and the mission waypoint disappeared. I'd estimate it was about 50-100m off though. The closest I was able to get was 34m and I was more or less directly below it, slightly down the slope of K1. The contract waypoint appears to hovering roughly 30m in the air and probably 50m or so horizontally displaced from what is the K1 peak for me. In the end, the mission got me to visit K1, which is the whole point anyway right?

To answer your earlier question, my terrain settings are set to default, so medium? Thanks again, really like the mod.

Cheers,

Glad you're still enjoying it, in spite of the bugs. I direct your attention to the following posts in this thread, though, in case you hadn't already seen them:

1. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/138325-113-contract-pack-interplanetary-mountaineer-v10-jun282016/#comment-2569643
  2. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/138325-113-contract-pack-interplanetary-mountaineer-v10-jun282016/&page=2#comment-2663276

The coordinates are taken from kerbalmaps.com, which I understand assumes maximum terrain detail. Still I've found their numbers to be a bit off (10s of metres) and am gradually discovering more accurate coordinates through my own gameplay and updating the pack as I go. It's not a fast process. I consider what's been released as "good enough for role play," and if it gets you to K1, then it's done its job. :)

The altitudes are an interesting issue. Even in games without kopernicus installed, I would have expected the CC waypoints to find the level of the terrain on their own (that's what they've been told to do), but they seem to always assume the max terrain detail heights, regardless of what a kerbal can actually walk over on screen.

Edited by Syntax
format

On 7/6/2016 at 4:11 AM, Liarra Sniffles said:

In case you haven't figured it out, the problem (for most of the incorrect heights) is the terrain detail; kerbal maps is assuming 'high' and not 'default'.

This is what the default terrain detail looks like on kerbin.

Reveal hidden contents

F2DB7879C6266E3D8FD01631CCB9852A87DF79F6

And this is high detail.

Reveal hidden contents

493CE13739206F2F556DC4048E7AD7E0CE93D5D5

12 hours ago, Syntax said:

Glad you're still enjoying it, in spite of the bugs. I direct your attention to the following posts in this thread, though, in case you hadn't already seen them:

1. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/138325-113-contract-pack-interplanetary-mountaineer-v10-jun282016/#comment-2569643
  2. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/138325-113-contract-pack-interplanetary-mountaineer-v10-jun282016/&page=2#comment-2663276

The coordinates are taken from kerbalmaps.com, which I understand assumes maximum terrain detail. Still I've found their numbers to be a bit off (10s of metres) and am gradually discovering more accurate coordinates through my own gameplay and updating the pack as I go. It's not a fast process. I consider what's been released as "good enough for role play," and if it gets you to K1, then it's done its job. :)

The altitudes are an interesting issue. Even in games without kopernicus installed, I would have expected the CC waypoints to find the level of the terrain on their own (that's what they've been told to do), but they seem to always assume the max terrain detail heights, regardless of what a kerbal can actually walk over on screen.

Yup, I definitely missed those two posts. They illustrate the issue I was having, especially the second. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@RealGecko Thanks for checking that out. I imagine you (and others) have gone ahead and just kept using this pack as usual. I'd been away so long, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before telling people it was compatible with 1.2, as I'm not certain whether the pack will see much more in terms of updates from me. It's confirmed to be up to date now, though, and has a couple small improvements to boot. Enjoy!

• 5 weeks later...

Hello - great contract pack! Just yesterday I had a "hickup" though. On hard career, I took the K1 exploration mission, built the plane, flew there, sucessfuly landed... Climbed the last meters, right click Jebediah - no flag... Ouch!

(Well yeah I cheated in 100k funds and unlocked flags)

Yes, I should have checked, but it would be nice the contracts would either start to pop up once flag planting is unlocked (Astronaut complex lvl2), or it could be based on EVA report. In same way as "do experiment X" does not occure sooner, than the experiment is unlocked. No big deal, I am nitpicking, as on non-hard careers I had the flags unlocked when I did the mission.

4 hours ago, Skalgrin said:

Hello - great contract pack! Just yesterday I had a "hickup" though. On hard career, I took the K1 exploration mission, built the plane, flew there, sucessfuly landed... Climbed the last meters, right click Jebediah - no flag... Ouch!

(Well yeah I cheated in 100k funds and unlocked flags)

Yes, I should have checked, but it would be nice the contracts would either start to pop up once flag planting is unlocked (Astronaut complex lvl2), or it could be based on EVA report. In same way as "do experiment X" does not occure sooner, than the experiment is unlocked. No big deal, I am nitpicking, as on non-hard careers I had the flags unlocked when I did the mission.

This is an excellent suggestion and a definite oversight on my part. My apologies for your hiccup! I will update the pack to include that restriction hopefully within the week. :D

On 2/1/2017 at 8:57 PM, Syntax said:

This is an excellent suggestion and a definite oversight on my part. My apologies for your hiccup! I will update the pack to include that restriction hopefully within the week. :D

And done! See Spacedock (and shortly CKAN) for updated version with new requirement: Astronaut Complex lvl 2! Thanks again, @Skalgrin:)

The most recent update seems to have hosed the pack. Whenever I accept a contract, it seems to immediately cancel when I enter the flight view. I had to debug back in the stuff I lost from it unfortunately. Nothing useful in the debug console; I do have Stragia installed; I wonder if its having a weird interaction with the new Astronaut Complex Lv2 requirement causing it to cancel.

On 2/9/2017 at 5:15 AM, NCommander said:

The most recent update seems to have hosed the pack. Whenever I accept a contract, it seems to immediately cancel when I enter the flight view. I had to debug back in the stuff I lost from it unfortunately. Nothing useful in the debug console; I do have Stragia installed; I wonder if its having a weird interaction with the new Astronaut Complex Lv2 requirement causing it to cancel.

I've looked into this. So sorry for mucking up your funds and rep :( I think the issue was that having two requirements (Orbit of body completed; Astronaut Complex: lvl 2) necessitated grouping the requirements under a parent -- a set requirement for "all" child requirements to be met. I had not done so in the last release.

@NCommander can you confirm the updated pack is working for you? (I suggest making a backup, just to be safe.)

For anyone interested in the code:

Spoiler

REQUIREMENT
	{
		name = All
		type = All

REQUIREMENT
		{
			name = Orbit
			type = Orbit
		}

REQUIREMENT
		{
			name = Facility
			type = Facility
			facility = AstronautComplex
			minLevel = 2
		}
	}

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.