Lost Sale Here!

ghost_sox

Hello,

I created this forum account to voice my thoughts to SQUAD about Kerbal Space Program's price.

I watched videos of this game.   I have played the demo.   I saw the price was $23.00 on Steam.   I said "OK,  I'm going to get this on my pay day."      After  pay day,  I come back and it's $40.00???!!!!   REALLY???    I was all kinds of ready to shell out the $23.00!   I would even pay $29.00....     So,  let me get this straight....  you nearly DOUBLE the price after the update 1.1  (the price was always in the $20.00 to $25.00 range, I had been watching).   I wouldn't get DOUBLE the game would I?   I doubt it.    So you want double the money and without doubling the game content.  Not from me,  not today.    

You have lost this sale,  and my son's sale,   as well as my flight sim addicted father's sale.    This game is not worth $40.00 as it sits now and Squad knows it!

A very disappointed lost customer.   Put the price back to ~25 and I'll buy but until then,  see ya....

The price per hour played is pretty low for most of us. This isn't a 10-hour shoot em up. If I were a new purchaser, I'd hold off for a month or two anyway, though, because a recent platform change has riddled the game with bugs. This is not a good version to start on. It will probably be more stable by the steam summer sale. Waiting is a win-win.

Well first thing first ... Game worth $40.00  :D its your oppinion that dont and it is OK that you think that ... scepticism is in place when you buy something.

BUT game is in sale now ! you can buy it for €22,79  here . (HumbleBundle store) .. you got 34 hours to do it :D think fast .. go for it :D dont be rude be nice here :)

Yeah, with the exception of the occasional discount, it's been a standard $40 for quite some time now.

I bought it a couple of years ago when it was 20-some dollars, but knowing what I know now, I would gladly have paid $50 or more--for most of the last two years, it's been the only game I play; I've learned so much from it and it synergizes remarkably well with my job (teaching physics).

In my opinion, the game is worth the price because there's this huge modding community. Kerbin looks ugly? No problem, install a visual mod! Not enough rocket parts? Bluedog Design Bureau to the rescue :wink:. Also, you only have to buy it once for your entire family!

1 hour ago, ghost_sox said:

Hello,

I created this forum account to voice my thoughts to SQUAD about Kerbal Space Program's price.

I watched videos of this game.   I have played the demo.   I saw the price was $23.00 on Steam.   I said "OK,  I'm going to get this on my pay day."      After  pay day,  I come back and it's $40.00???!!!!   REALLY???    I was all kinds of ready to shell out the $23.00!   I would even pay $29.00....     So,  let me get this straight....  you nearly DOUBLE the price after the update 1.1  (the price was always in the $20.00 to $25.00 range, I had been watching).   I wouldn't get DOUBLE the game would I?   I doubt it.    So you want double the money and without doubling the game content.  Not from me,  not today.    

You have lost this sale,  and my son's sale,   as well as my flight sim addicted father's sale.    This game is not worth $40.00 as it sits now and Squad knows it!

A very disappointed lost customer.   Put the price back to ~25 and I'll buy but until then,  see ya....

You might try checking the price some time that there isn't a sale going on. https://www.steamprices.com/us/app/220200/kerbal-space-program#history

As you can see, $39.99 has been the regular price for, at minimum, 8 months. I don't know when you last checked up on the price before the recent sale that you missed, but that $23 price is more in the neighborhood of the early access alpha price of $22.99 which was the price ages ago (like three years) and I can say with confidence that the price was at least $39.99 on April 27th 2015 when the game went 1.0

While I sympathize with your disappointment, you're holding Squad to task for a mistake on your part, you clearly weren't paying attention and missed the rather clear indicators on Steam that the price was a sale price. There's good news, though. The Steam Summer Sale is doubtless no more than a couple of months away! :)

i will say it again .. just to be sure it will be seen :D Sorry for  for shouting :D

KSP is in sale for €22,79  here . (HumbleBundle store) .. you got 34 hours to do it :D

You dont have to wait for summer .. game worth 40 $  .. even more .. game content is  ... well .. endless and Squad is still working on it.

I wish you and your son a lot of fun and learning with ksp :)

Looking at the Playtimes of somewhat in the thousand hours for most of us here it's probably more expensive to just run the computer for that long time than the cost of KSP itself.

• Given an Price of about 25 Cents per kWh (which would actually be on the "low" side here in Germany),
  • an average consumption of 150Watt of a running low-end Gaming PC (for example: http://www.computerbase.de/2016-04/asus-geforce-gtx-950-2g-test/2/ they are measuring the whole system with about 150Watt with an entry-level 750 / 950 GPU, so, my 980ti G1 will be far away from that^^)
  • and a price of 40 Euros for KSP (without any discounts)

After 1080 hours, just running the computer for that time will cost 40,5 Euros, and thus more than KSP itself.

2 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

Looking at the Playtimes of somewhat in the thousand hours for most of us here it's probably more expensive to just run the computer for that long time than the cost of KSP itself.

• Given an Price of about 25 Cents per kWh (which would actually be on the "low" side here in Germany),
  • an average consumption of 150Watt of a running low-end Gaming PC (for example: http://www.computerbase.de/2016-04/asus-geforce-gtx-950-2g-test/2/ they are measuring the whole system with about 150Watt with an entry-level 750 / 950 GPU, so, my 980ti G1 will be far away from that^^)
  • and a price of 40 Euros for KSP (without any discounts)

After 1080 hours, just running the computer for that time will cost 40,5 Euros, and thus more than KSP itself.

I love your logic, best post ever.

That said, to play the devil's advocate...

Doesn't that mean that KSP technically costs 80ish Euros? (40 for the game, 40 for the assumed 1000ish hours you'll play.) I mean...you have to have electricity to play, and no one is giving it away for free.

22 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I love your logic, best post ever.

That said, to play the devil's advocate...

Doesn't that mean that KSP technically costs 80ish Euros? (40 for the game, 40 for the assumed 1000ish hours you'll play.) I mean...you have to have electricity to play, and no one is giving it away for free.

No, it means it is more expensive the more you play, cause of power bill :)

Oh noooos!  KSP is pay-to-play ^^

While I feel a bit guilty that this only cost me about $15 and the ROI has indeed been outstanding we have to remember that we are the self-selected KSP addicts.  If I were in the OP's position I would not take the $40 chance on a game I didn't know and which may not be as attractive/addictive for them.  Then again, I've chosen to live on a very low budget (more or less dropped out of the system and all that) so that represents twice my weekly entertainment spending.  It's a tough call for software vendors as modern video games require so much work.

17 dollars? Really? Wow, man  :confused:

I would pay more for KSP without even thinking twice. It turned out to be one of my best investments ever, fun per dollar wise.

My son plays shooters, they are more expensive and sometimes they even charge you for add-ons and stuff, and these games usually become obsolete when a new version comes out. And that said, I would even pay for 1.1 all over again when it is properly finished

For you it might not be worth 40 bucks, but I disagree. Thinking back on how much we used to pay for crappy console games and all that, KSP is a steal in my book.

But yeah, like others said, wait for discounts and sales if those extra 17 bucks is really such an issue for you. It would be a shame if you miss out on that amazing game just because of a few bucks. And if your economic situation is so tough that 17 extra dollars are really a deal breaker for you, shoot me a PM and we find a way. I'm not rich, but I am prepared to help you out so you and your folks get to enjoy the Kerbal way.

cheers

Daf

@ghost_sox, KSP is still 40% off on the Humble store, you only get a Steam key with that purchase though.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/kerbal-space-program?hmb_source=search_bar

I don't know how much longer it'll be at this price, but there will be sales in the future, Squad has only dropped the price by 25% and 40% and the base price isn't going to go up, so this is the best deal you'll get.

Ok, First of all,  thank you to those that pointed me to Humble Bundle...  I have purchased a Steam key.
Now I have a few words.....

$17 difference,  my economic situation is not bad at all,  for the person who mentioned this...  I appreciate your offer but not affording the game is NOT the issue here....   As I posted..  The game is not worth $40.00 AS IT SITS NOW...  the bugs,  the crashes,  the issues,   and from what I read about update 1.1,  most mods don't work anymore..   It's not about the money,  it's about value and something unfinished,  still being developed,  still has problems,  and still broken in some ways (look at the 64 bit version crashing randomly to desktop often)....  that IS NOT worth $40.00.   I would pay the $40.00 if the game was FINISHED and free of bugs and crashes.  Again... it's not the $17 difference,  it's the principle.... paying full price for an unfinished product. (see below).

Next up..    I was not being rude to anyone and I was not intending to start anything..  I was simply stating my opinion about the value of this game..  I was directing my comments at the developer... not you.    I was not insulting anyone,   I was telling Squad that they charge too much for their unfinished,  buggy game..   I do enjoy it when it works but I'm not paying full price for something that isn't finished.   Would you pay $15,000 for a car that randomly stalls and you have to pull over and restart it?   Oh and it was still being built,  uh,  we didn't add the radio or the spare tire yet but we will...   in time,   but we want full price up front...    NO..  that's B.S.  I'm sorry.   

I apologize for any misinformation..   I have always seen the game advertised at around $20 to $25...   I was unaware of the exact time the price went up.  

Lastly... thank you to all that helped me and pointed me to the sale.   I did purchase it.   I appreciate it..   I can see that voicing an opinion isn't very welcome in this community so I will be keeping my posts rare and keeping my opinions even more rare.      We can all stop with the nonsense now,  it was just an opinion.   You are welcome to pay full price for unfinished products but I don't do that.  I feel it's wrong and a horrible way to do business.   I ran a computer repair shop for many years and I would never ask my customer for full payment up front and only doing half the work...   It's just an opinion people...   

Thanks and God Speed to you all... 

5 minutes ago, Corw said:

I've paid $5 back in the day, but I've bought 3 more copies since :D

Well I did pay full price for the EDU version, and I also paid for the Kerberliser so that's got to count for double its self before even the EDU version, right? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.