Lost Sale Here!

ghost_sox

6 hours ago, Otis said:

The "I've got my money's worth because I've played it so much" argument doesn't really make sense. One could have spent that time earning money instead of playing a video game. Really, you spent 40 bucks on a game, then wasted all that time that you could have invested in learning a skill that contributes something to the world on said game, trying to justify it's worth.

Well if you want to be like that, I have a full time job, and I freelance as a digital artist - in which I am entirely self taught.

On the other hand, it's impossible to spend your entire life on-duty. KSP is good for downtime as it is a mellow, thoughtful game that doesn't fill your head with rage :) 

3 minutes ago, eddiew said:

KSP is good for downtime as it is a mellow, thoughtful game that doesn't fill your head with rage

.. except for when you discover too late your 'chutes are staging at the same time your main engines fire and the clamps release

.. or you find out you forgot a docking port after a 2yr transfer

.. or arrive at Eve to fulfill that contract and find out the tourists never boarded to begin with

.. or your suicide burn runs just 41m/s short of a safe landing

.. or Jeb took off with your favourite jet. And dented it. Again.

Other than that, totally mellow and devoid of rage. :D

12 hours ago, ZentroCatson said:

Also, you only have to buy it once for your entire family!

No. Just no.

The fact that there are no DRM measures makes it possible to distribute the game, but it does not make it legal. Encouraging illegal distribution is also illegal, of course.

11 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

Looking at the Playtimes of somewhat in the thousand hours for most of us here it's probably more expensive to just run the computer for that long time than the cost of KSP itself.

• Given an Price of about 25 Cents per kWh (which would actually be on the "low" side here in Germany),
  • an average consumption of 150Watt of a running low-end Gaming PC (for example: http://www.computerbase.de/2016-04/asus-geforce-gtx-950-2g-test/2/ they are measuring the whole system with about 150Watt with an entry-level 750 / 950 GPU, so, my 980ti G1 will be far away from that^^)
  • and a price of 40 Euros for KSP (without any discounts)

After 1080 hours, just running the computer for that time will cost 40,5 Euros, and thus more than KSP itself.

Jesus.  power here is roughly 10-11 cents per kWh for most tiers and packages.. and that's in Canadian dollars.  In Euros that would be like almost 8c.  Well, unless you have time-of-day pricing and are doing most of your usage during the "high usage" times, which gets up to 17.5c/kWh CAD at times (~12.3c Euro).

Of course my PC uses a bit more at the plug than that reference machine; I think about 350W at full load last I checked, so it works out to about 1040-ish hours to reach 40 CAD, which is close (the price of electricity is about 1/3 here; the wattage about 3x).

Well, assuming I paid for power directly.  #grandfatheredpowermetering

Anyhow, it certainly IS worth forty CAD, Euros, or USD.   And version eleventy is out, so I'm off to check it out.

1 hour ago, Champ said:

No. Just no.

The fact that there are no DRM measures makes it possible to distribute the game, but it does not make it legal. Encouraging illegal distribution is also illegal, of course.

Not true, actually. At least for me, when I bought the game on the KSP store when it was version 0.20, somewhere is said somethng similar to this "We are okay if you share it with a few friends [or family], but please don't post it publicly online."

This might have just been me imagining things, a misread, or is no longer valid, but maybe I am actuallly recalling correctly.

(Also, there is actually something called steam family sharing)

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

...Other than that, totally mellow and devoid of rage. :D

Ok, so on the rare occasion where something catastrophic happens and I was too stupid to save... rage. Careful play minimises this however, and more often it's a relatively calm "hmm, why did that happen then?" :) 

10 minutes ago, eddiew said:

more often it's a relatively calm "hmm, why did that happen then?" :) 

Then there's a good number of times, and the chance of it happening seems to be linearly correlated to the awesomeness of the explosions (that is actually the correct expression for it, the potential for explosions is calculated in units of 'awesome' in the KSP code) and the length/complexity of the ensuing chain reaction, when I just burst out laughing at the hilarity of the disaster and need to wipe tears before taking a deep breath, regaining my composure, and starting over.

I know I shouldn't be admitting to this, but that happens quite a lot. Sorry Jeb. Actually no, Jeb totally has it coming, but I'll apologize to Val. Some of the time.

10 hours ago, ghost_sox said:

Would you pay $15,000 for a car that randomly stalls and you have to pull over and restart it?   Oh and it was still being built,  uh,  we didn't add the radio or the spare tire yet but we will...   in time,   but we want full price up front...    NO..  that's B.S.  I'm sorry.    

I probably would if I could afford it. And thousands have. Tesla! ... YES.... that's reality. 

Ok,  Purchased yesterday.....   Glad I only paid $23.99 and here's why....

Within the first hour of downloading the game from Steam with the Humble Bundle Steam key...  I was putting a fin on the base of my third rocket in career mode,  after clicking the fin into place..  POOF!   My desktop appears.   The game just vanished...    CRASH TO DESKTOP within THE FIRST HOUR and you call that WORTH  $40.00???   Yer nuts   The game is no where near worth full price and all you  fan boys need to get into reality

Wif

3 hours ago, ghost_sox said:

<rage>

KSP is really quite crash tolerant compared to most. Every scene change will save the game automatically, and when un-modded, it starts up fast. Assuming you save your craft reasonably often, then it's quite hard to lose much of significance. Consider it the game's way of saying it's time to hydrate :) 

I did suggest starting with 1.0.5. It's more stable for unmodded installs at the moment. Sorry to hear the game crashed on you already though, but I'm glad you only paid what you feel it is worth.

14 hours ago, Renegrade said:

Jesus.  power here is roughly 10-11 cents per kWh for most tiers and packages.. and that's in Canadian dollars.  In Euros that would be like almost 8c.  Well, unless you have time-of-day pricing and are doing most of your usage during the "high usage" times, which gets up to 17.5c/kWh CAD at times (~12.3c Euro).

"Nachtstrom" (night time energy prices) where a thing in the past here. There where even "Nachtspeicheröfen", electrical furnaces that ran on night energy and stored it using stoney material for the day. Today such pricing can be bought in special tariffs, but the usual tariffs are one price for any time of day. The average price here is about 28,8 Cent/ kWh!

4 hours ago, ghost_sox said:

Ok,  Purchased yesterday.....   Glad I only paid $23.99 and here's why....

Within the first hour of downloading the game from Steam with the Humble Bundle Steam key...  I was putting a fin on the base of my third rocket in career mode,  after clicking the fin into place..  POOF!   My desktop appears.   The game just vanished...    CRASH TO DESKTOP within THE FIRST HOUR and you call that WORTH  $40.00???   Yer nuts   The game is no where near worth full price and all you  fan boys need to get into reality

Wif

Welcome to the forums @ghost_sox !

You purchased KSP at a rather tumultuous time, having just made the big change from Unity 4 to Unity 5, this is a complete engine overhaul and unfortunately it's going to make some new bugs crop up. However it's still a pretty great game and if you are willing to have patience and hang in there, these nasty bugs are going to be all patched out in due time. I too have not been entirely impressed by the instability of the newest version but try to bear with Squad as they work to make their game better. Nobody here wants you to regret your purchase, so try to be a little more polite and I think you'll find that the forums can add a lot of value to your KSP experience. If you keep having problems like crashes to desktop make sure you visit the technical support forum and make a thread about it, everyone here is very helpful and will practically bend over backwards to get you playing happily.

Some day you may be a veteran player with a 1000 hours in KSP and hundreds of posts on these forums, looking back on these days and laughing. I hope that's the case, best of luck! :)

The game is clearly worth 40 bucks if gauged against other well selling titles.

It's just that 40 bucks is nothing for some of us 

for other people 40 bucks is a hell of a load of money so waiting for summer sales is a good idea.

Or have special sales of kerbal on astronomical/orbital science heavy days.

That said, kerbal is far more worth it's 40 bucks than the majority of games that cost 50 or 60 bucks, if you like sims it's a years long investion full of crashes, forgotten solar panels and mismatched weight to parachute ratios.

-- edit --

sorry bad choices of examples what to spend money on, forgot that this game is not only to mature audiences, will take heed of that in the future

Edited by lude

6 hours ago, ghost_sox said:

He said it:all you  fan boys need to get into reality

Well your're in the KSP forum, what kind of people did you expect here, people that hate the game?:rolleyes:

Seriously, you are new to the game and you didn't went through all of what we "older" player have seen, especial the "release of 1.0", when it become full price but was crippled by bugs. We endured it because we knew that this game was worth it. And you arrived at a very special time, a change in the game engine which mean, a lot of new bug. The bug you are complaining is a known one and I've seen worst in older version. It will be fixed

Finally, don't think that we are just a bunch of nerd fan boy that try to destroy every non fan that don't like the game, no the KSP community is not like that.

Oh and by the way, if you don't know, for the price, your game will be updated for free until Squad decide to stop the update, nothing like that have been heard up until now. I think it's worth noting.

Edited by Hary R

29 minutes ago, 78stonewobble said:

Personally I think it's worth full price... 

Espiecally if you compare it with some other fullprized AAA-Games.

KSP is not really a game, it's more like a playground and a "general system for space simulation" which can be heavily customized.

10 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Some day you may be a veteran player with a 1000 hours in KSP and hundreds of posts on these forums, looking back on these days and laughing. I hope that's the case, best of luck! :)

Based upon empirical evidence, I doubt that occurring  ...

<harsh>

I don't think anyone here needs to justify the program to this person.

This thread was started for the wrong reasons - it could have simply been an email to Squad or to Steam dependent on where purchased and that be that. The OP needs to have an understanding on software purchases in general, plain and simple.

If you disagree, you're entitled, however the thread seems pointless - you have formulated your opinion which you tossed out here and the only purpose I can see from it is to stir up the collective pot.

It's like someone who buys a smartphone, then goes on a BB for that unit to say they hate it and asks other members who have the same one to convince them to keep it.

The community is here to assist you but not to respond to justify a purchase.

If you don't like it, then return it, otherwise you are in the same boat as the rest of us who may or may not be having issues with it at this time.

</harsh>

Moving on to 1.1.1, which is just terrific on my gaming rig, less so on my laptop (which is expected considering it's specs)

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Let's not get personal, please.

18 hours ago, Champ said:

No. Just no.

Hm, I did think about that… This is a difficult case. It is totally illegal to distribute it to the entire world as a cracked version, but copying it for two persons in your family… I'm not a lawyer and it of course depends on your country.

17 minutes ago, ZentroCatson said:

...but copying it for two persons in your family… I'm not a lawyer and it of course depends on your country.

That sort of thing basically comes down to "if you do it don't brag about it"

I paid for it back before 1.0 came out. I remember my sis being upset because she too had to pay double the price I paid. If 1.1 is not your thing, download 1.0.5. For my PC, it is much more stable and has way less bugs, only without a couple of parts that 1.1 added in.

I have 285 hours logged into KSP at an average P/H of 0.14 cents, which is for the full price of the game, not the pre-1.0 price that I bought it for.

Edited by Snikersnee

On 4/28/2016 at 9:01 AM, ghost_sox said:

Ok, First of all,  thank you to those that pointed me to Humble Bundle...  I have purchased a Steam key.

Congratulations! It'll be worth it. Or not. But I hope you will find it worth it!

$17 difference,  my economic situation is not bad at all,  for the person who mentioned this...  I appreciate your offer but not affording the game is NOT the issue here....   As I posted..  The game is not worth $40.00 AS IT SITS NOW...  the bugs,  the crashes,  the issues,   and from what I read about update 1.1,  most mods don't work anymore..   It's not about the money,  it's about value and something unfinished,  still being developed,  still has problems,  and still broken in some ways (look at the 64 bit version crashing randomly to desktop often)....  that IS NOT worth $40.00.   I would pay the $40.00 if the game was FINISHED and free of bugs and crashes.  Again... it's not the $17 difference,  it's the principle.... paying full price for an unfinished product. (see below).

"Value" is something personal and differs from person to person. For me I look at the entertainment I get out of KSP. Granted, I also bought it for a lot less. But it was also in a much simpler state. (see below). In economics, "value" is what the customer is willing to pay for the game. Would I get it at it's current state for $250? Probably not. Would I be willing to pay $100 for it? Probably.

"Price," obviously, is what Squad is asking. A common misconception is that "price" should somehow have a relation to production cost, lest the customer is being "ripped off," but that's really not the case.

As long as the price is less than the value (what you are willing to pay for it), a customer will buy. "But what if I'm not interested in the game?"—then the value is 0, the price is higher, and there's no transaction. "But what if I want to pay $100 but I don't have it?"—you could opt to not spend money on necessities. So the value of the game would be two weeks without food, or being homeless because you got evicted. Likely the game is not worth that. But, in most other cases, if it's worth it, the customer will buy.

So the question is not, is the game (not worth) the money because it's unfinished. In a way that's the cost question. "Squad is ripping me off because they haven't put enough work in it yet."  (and I'm not claiming you're saying that—more that it's a generalization of the argument that the game is unfinished thus not work x). The question is, will amount x be worth what I'm willing to pay for the game, given how much fun I get out of it. As many others have stated, it probably is. I rarely play with my Steam version, as that's my vanilla install; I usually copy it over, mod it to my liking and really play KSP on that copy. And yet, Steam has logged 600 hours of play. On the vanilla copy. It's totally worth it, I think.

I apologize for any misinformation..   I have always seen the game advertised at around $20 to $25...   I was unaware of the exact time the price went up.  

At one point, a long time ago in a galaxy not too far away, it was actually free. The price has gone up with every release.  Look at it as a discount you're getting because it's not yet complete. By the time it's fully (within reason) debugged and all (desired stock) features are implemented it might cost $70; so $40 is actually still at a steep $30 for the final price! Or not. That's the dice you're rolling with getting it now for a friendlier price. And keep in mind that companies like Blizzard and EA will charge you more for the privilege of getting an early release version. Squad's doing the reverse and gives you a discount!

Thanks and God Speed to you all... 

And now just go and enjoy the game! :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.