(1.1.x) Build a Kerbal scaled ISS

1 hour ago, sgt_flyer said:

@Darth Lazarus

here's the Proton subassembly :) - i'ts only leo configuration at the moment. no payload, no block D, no Briz-M :wink:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0akmoi0xnhgrwy/Proton%20rocket.craft?dl=0

thanks a lot ! i just wanted to see how you solved the seperation between first and second stage :wink:

okay @sgt_flyer

some things about the Proton:

- the custom launchpad is amazing

- i'm going to borrow the 1st/2nd stage gridfairing for my Proton. (using a 10m heatshild is such a genius idea! )

- staging is messed up   :D

- i slightly had the feeling, that your Proton is overengineered and slightly to long. but you are building a kerbal sized ISS ... so size have to be different

overall a very nice rocket ! :)

16 minutes ago, Darth Lazarus said:

okay @sgt_flyer

- i'm going to borrow the 1st/2nd stage gridfairing for my Proton. (using a 10m heatshild is such a genius idea! )

- i slightly had the feeling, that your Proton is overengineered and slightly to long. but you are building a kerbal sized ISS ... so size have to be different

Also from my testing it is best not to use any Reaction Wheels, disable them all for flight, turn early and gently, the staging is unique, it was designed to be the way it is. So stage twice at first stage separation, once to seperate and create distance, second to fully engage second stage.

Don't use Prograde SAS, it induces wobbling, and remember to activate RCS on fairing seperation (when you have Zarya or Zvezda as payload).

Edited by selfish_meme

1 minute ago, Darth Lazarus said:

okay @sgt_flyer

well, for the size, i roughly used a x 0.64 ratio from known numbers of proton-K :) - i just didn't had 1m diameter parts to make correct diameter for the side fuel tanks on the first stage, so i clipped them slightly instead to get the correct overall diameter :) 

that's weird for the staging - when i used the subassembly myself, the staging was correct :) (note, i made second stage engines start at two different times so it starts at 'low power' in order to not damage the first stage - else with all 2nd stage engines at full power, something explodes on the first stage, while staging 2 times in short sequence simply push the 1st stage away ;)) for the 3rd stage, it's normal - the real 3rd stage main engine starts only after the stage is cleared (only the verniers are fired for separation at first, as there's no open lattice on this stage) 

when i tested it TWR wise i could put a 22,5tons payload in lko :) (i still had fuel left, but i reduced the second stage's fuel a bit since then) 

a quick note, for the 10m heatshields, i had to use an additional decoupler for separating the two - else the geometry of the lower heatshield collided with the engines.

yeah, i noticed the coliderbehavior ... need to figure out a good way to hide a decoupler somwhere ... :D

hrm, looking at the size of my proton i think i have to slightly enlarge the second stage .. well, not today. time for bed. but thanks for new ideas :)

@Darth Lazarus

i've rechecked the Proton rocket - i found how you got a staging issue :) it's because you are loading it as a standalone .craft directly in the VAB :)

it's meant to be used as a subassembly instead :) (when used as a subassembly, the staging list is perfectly fine ;))

so place a root part or a payload first, then add the proton rocket as a subassembly :)

yeah my mistake, i tried to load it as a normal .craft  , works like a charm as subassambly :D

And i finished my Proton, so far. still need to compare it to the real deal. (have the feeling that my second stage is now 1m to short) And have to look at the TWR. But it can lift 22,5 tons to LKO. Only 152 Parts on launchpod and solid like a rock :cool: 

IhC9Vwg.jpg

MiLrwhm.jpg

rXA0CDm.jpg

@Darth Lazarus yup, i agree, this proton feels a bit too short :), still nice overall :) (maybe give the Block D some love ^^)

i have other Russian things in the works :) a 'small' WIP of the launch vehicle for the soyuz spacecraft i shown earlier in this thread :)

qaYrbt7.png

some inflight pics :)

Wlk9Lwa.png

7Wq43tu.png
Edited by sgt_flyer

2 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

@Darth Lazarus yup, i agree, this proton feels a bit too short :), still nice overall :) (maybe give the Block D some love ^^)

i have other Russian things in the works :) a 'small' WIP of the launch vehicle for the soyuz spacecraft i shown earlier in this thread :)

qaYrbt7.png

Wlk9Lwa.png

7Wq43tu.png

That is an absolutely gorgeous Soyuz, brilliant use of fairings.

6 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

The shape is very nice man. It is a shame we cannot change the fairing textures though..

2 hours ago, Majorjim said:

The shape is very nice man. It is a shame we cannot change the fairing textures though..

We still might Roverdude is updating Firespitter which has a texture switch function, that's what I am using for the decals.

On 5/3/2016 at 7:36 AM, Majorjim said:

Stock I mean. 

Well you can go find the squad texture and replace it, but it will always be that texture.

Album from the post below this one, so you can see what sgt_flyer posted

Edited by selfish_meme

ok, time for a x0.64 scale Soyuz to go with the station :) (progress, poisk and pirs planned too ;))

Soyuz rocket + soyuz spacecraft and optionnal launch pad :)

Part count : rocket + spacecraft alone, 381 parts. with the pad : 789 parts. (note, the version with the launch generates an additionnal empty stage between the ignition and booster separation, i don't know why - so when using the launch pad version, you'll need to stage twice to eject the boosters - while the version without the launch pad has no problem)

soyuz alone without launch pad :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2i3quyk2auv7k5/Soyuz.craft?dl=0

Soyuz with launch pad :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dixrr0frn89jys/Soyuz%20launch%20pad.craft?dl=0

Ascent profile :

make a 10° pitchover manoeuver when you reach 65m/s, then switch the SAS to follow the prograde marker :) - you should reach a 45° angle above the horizon around 15000m, with the boosters burning out later.

when the atmospheric effects die down (around 40000m on the core stage) you can stage to eject the fairing and the escape tower.

after the core stage burns out, stage to separate the block I, then stage a second time to eject the block I's engine shroud. you can now realign directly towards the horizon with the block I, to raise your apoapsis to the desired altitude. (and then circularise if you want, or drop the block I while it's periapsis is still in atmo to avoid debris and circularise with the spacecraft)

once the spacecraft is free, press action group 1 to extend the solar panels and deploy the antennas.

Reentry / landing : eject the orbital module and the descent module before reentering atmosphere, after the reentry burn.

the descent module is stable - so you can disengage SAS, the module will follow the retrograde marker on it's own :)

when the parachute is fully deployed, stage to eject the heatshield. (descent speed under fully deployed parachute : around 10m/s @ sea level, so don't try to land in mountains ^^)

Stage one last time when you are less than 15 / 20m above ground to fire the retrorockets to cushion the landing :)

Abort system :

press backspace to fire the escape system, igniting the separatrons, and decoupling the descent module from the service module.

once the escape tower burns out, press action group 0 to eject away the orbital module and the escape tower / fairing. stage as usual to perform a normal landing (parachute, heatshield ejection, retrorockets) :)

have fun :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

@sgt_flyer

talked with Das_Valdez, the amazing twitch KSP streamer. He LOVES the idea of using the 10m heatshild for interstage fun :D (like on big Soyuz or Proton)

well done guys, well done ! one of the most amazing little fashion tricks i have learned.

Edited by Darth Lazarus

34 minutes ago, Darth Lazarus said:

@sgt_flyer

talked with Das_Valdez, the amazing twitch KSP streamer. He LOVES the idea of using the 10m heatshild for interstage fun :D (like on big Soyuz or Proton)

well done guys, well done ! one of the most amazing little fashion tricks i have learned.

heh :) when trying to build things, i tend to check almost all parts each time to see if i can use it for aesthetics :) - like those triangular verniers pods on my soyuz blok A :wink:. the inflatable heatshield trick is quite straightforward compared to other tricks :wink: currently, when doing mechanics, i try to directly test the parts ingame to determine how is shaped their collider geometry :). (especially since 1.1, with the model reexport, a lot of colliders got changed) 

Well this blows my stock ISS project out of the water!

How did you make the solar arrays and how to you plan on putting them together once in orbit? I ask because the P6 Truss/Solar Arrays are the current part on my ISS and they're turning out to be a real PITA.

My version of the P6 Truss & Solar Array:

Spoiler

screenshot83.png

screenshot141.png

screenshot183.png

26 minutes ago, Nutt007 said:

Well this blows my stock ISS project out of the water!

How did you make the solar arrays and how to you plan on putting them together once in orbit? I ask because the P6 Truss/Solar Arrays are the current part on my ISS and they're turning out to be a real PITA.

My version of the P6 Truss & Solar Array:

it's mostly the same kind of assembly as yours :) was a real headscratcher to make it all fit inside the shuttle :) (in fact, i hollowed out the truss itself to be able to put additional solar arrays segments inside, so the truss has a U shape)

Spoiler

FxGCWvb.png

for assembly, i added a small RCS drone to help doing the array assembly :). all segments are directly attached to the truss when stowed :) (so when i'll move the truss, the segments will go with it)

using a mockup cargo bay helps a lot doing tetris ^^ (especially with the prototype stock canadarm which takes a bit of space ^^)

Spoiler

AQmIUOX.png

Edited by sgt_flyer

12 hours ago, Majorjim said:

This cannot be repeated often enough!!

You do something really nice.. 'oh yellow ff-ing line' WRAAAAGHH!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.