(1.1.x) Build a Kerbal scaled ISS

Just now, selfish_meme said:

@Rune is right in a way,

Not in calling it impractical good sir. :D

Simplicity and easy of use do not indicate practicality.

The best things are often not intuitive or simplistic. They are the hard earned achievements, the complex tasks that through skill and dedication become mastered. Complexity and creativity FTW! :cool:

Edited by Majorjim

22 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

@Rune is right in a way, most of the time it would be much simpler to just use good old docking and rcs to accomplish everything, the arm is not intuitive at all. That being said when you finally get it attached and move something out of the bay it's a real high like when you first touched down on the Mun.

Yup, just pointing out how (sadly) it is much easier, in game mechanics, to use something like the tiny tug that deploys the arrays. Still, we all agree, that candarm is sight to see, and deserves a lot of kudos. It sure must have felt like a huge accomplishment to pull off! :)

Rune. And the tech behind it is sure to have other, actually useful practical time-saving applications. :wink:

4 hours ago, Rune said:

actually useful practical time-saving applications. :wink:

You can't help yourself can you Rune.:D

We all have fun differently don't we.

The idea of making something complex and learning how to use it appeals to me and my creative side and I suppose the other makers of these complex creative designs. The idea of making something in KSP to 'save time' makes no sense to me at all. This is not reality. It's a game and I like to 'play' it. :P

Edited by Majorjim

3 hours ago, Majorjim said:

You can't help yourself can you Rune.:D

We all have fun differently don't we.

The idea of making something complex and learning how to use it appeals to me and my creative side and I suppose the other makers of these complex creative designs. The idea of making something in KSP to 'save time' makes no sense to me at all. This is not reality. It's a game and I like to 'play' it. :P

Hehehe, yup, I can't help myself around a good joke. :blush:

But hey, I'm not bashing on anything let that be clear. I just try to make all my stuff work together and be complex that way, while the individual pieces follow my beloved mantra of 'KISS'.

Rune. Far be it from me to tell anyone how to play KSP! Now, can we get back to this amazing ISS replica?

26 minutes ago, Rune said:

Hehehe, yup, I can't help myself around a good joke. :blush:

But hey, I'm not bashing on anything let that be clear. I just try to make all my stuff work together and be complex that way, while the individual pieces follow my beloved mantra of 'KISS'.

Rune. Far be it from me to tell anyone how to play KSP! Now, can we get back to this amazing ISS replica?

Yeah it's just banter mateo. 

Each to his own. 

sorry :) there's going to be some delays for the follow up :) started an IT learning course, and it's taking quite a big chunk of my time at the moment :( (for the next 9 months !) so i won't be able to push up so many vids like i did before i started the course.

9 minutes ago, sgt_flyer said:

sorry :) there's going to be some delays for the follow up :) started an IT learning course, and it's taking quite a big chunk of my time at the moment :( (for the next 9 months !) so i won't be able to push up so many vids like i did before i started the course.

Any chance of a complete ISS save file? I want to see it in its glory. And benchmark my CPU!

the version assembled in editor then hyperedited into orbit is not meant for anything else than pictures :) it's very shaky - even with SAS disabled ! I Don't really know if it's because of cpu usage or something else though - the version assembled up to P6 is not shaky at all, even under SAS, so it's hard to compare :) 

Just now, sgt_flyer said:

the version assembled in editor then hyperedited into orbit is not meant for anything else than pictures :) it's very shaky - even with SAS disabled ! I Don't really know if it's because of cpu usage or something else though - the version assembled up to P6 is not shaky at all, even under SAS, so it's hard to compare :) 

Game bug man. The kod damn game bugs..

I'm almost ready to start filming Baikonour is just about finished and pad 39b with crawler, I also had an idea for a short funny film that I can do with the same assets and almost at the same time, hint it has very unrealistic orbital mechanics.

I'm within a fig newton of nailing this thing, has taken me days of config hacking to get this far, but this works! Gif up in a minute, sorry for the brag. I would upload this up for everyone to use but a real modder is going to make it a lot easier soon hopefully, you wouldn't want to go through the pain.

Edited by selfish_meme

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey all, been busy with IRL stuff and have not been playing KSP, but I did start playing with Blender recently and dug up this old shuttle to import and render. I was more concerned with the process than making it exactly right so some parts are slightly misaligned. Anyway, I thought I would share, it seemed to work fine in the latest version, though I just launched it. Anyways, hope you are all well, and it makes me glad to see so many old timers still around!

QsANFLV.jpg

On 11 March 2017 at 9:41 PM, selfish_meme said:

Feel free, I still have a complete ISS craft file, all 1032 parts of it, it needs to be cutup into the sections, it used to blowup within seconds of loading, but it might be better in this version.

I will have a look when 1.3 drops matey. It's a massive loss that @sgt_flyer isn't posting anymore.. :-(

2 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

I will have a look when 1.3 drops matey. It's a massive loss that @sgt_flyer isn't posting anymore.. :-(

Well, as much as i like problem solving, i don't have enough concentration left for me after the end of a work day to get back into ksp at that kind of level atm :(  - it'll get better once i'm more settled in my new job :)

but don't worry, i still lurk on the forums, and i'm still avaible if you need to bounce ideas / concepts on someone :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.