(1.1.x) Build a Kerbal scaled ISS

On 05/08/2016 at 3:29 PM, selfish_meme said:

Everyone should try the Canadarm, it is so cool, even if it does make me want to smash something sometimes.

Not yet although it is an amazing creation!

Are you able to film the complete station? I know it high parts but If you send me a save with it in orbit I might be able to film it at a decent framerate.

5 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Not yet although it is an amazing creation!

Are you able to film the complete station? I know it high parts but If you send me a save with it in orbit I might be able to film it at a decent framerate.

Well it's not so much that I can't film it, its more that it wobbles and eventually destroys itself and you can't timewarp to stop the motion, it was never meant to be a working craft as it is, just a craft for someone else to use in Blender without loading it in game.

Just now, selfish_meme said:

Well it's not so much that I can't film it, its more that it wobbles and eventually destroys itself and you can't timewarp to stop the motion, it was never meant to be a working craft as it is, just a craft for someone else to use in Blender without loading it in game.

Is that a 1.1.2 issue? I have noticed more craft vibrating slightly for some ungodly reason..

9 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Yeah I saw that.. Such a shame there are so many craft breaking bugs now..

seems that using multiple reaction wheels for SAS also trigger vibrations too (saw that in the canadarm - with the 2 RWs for each sections set to 'normal mode' the elements vibrates, while there's no vibrations when setting one RW to pilot only and the other to SAS only.)

Z1 Truss and PMA-3 installed :) (STS-92) - video and .craft files to follow :)

jecQQ8l.png

edit :)

ok, the assembly video of Z1 truss and PMA-3 is up :)

here's the shuttle .craft file with the integrated payload :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrotr30ko7b9fpk/STS-92.craft?dl=0

here's the save with the shuttle docked to ISS, with the Z1 truss and PMA-3 still inside the cargo bay, ready for assembly :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j119n1xypwsc2uv/STS%2092%20assembly.sfs?dl=0

quick notes on this mission :

like in the video, be sure to rotate the canadarm's ARM by 180° - this offsets the whole canadarm in the correct direction for allowing to place the elements.

note, don't forget to try to disable the SAS on the arm and the forearm elements just before docking the modules to ISS (else, they will rip off the arm - especially the PMA-3 is a bit nasty to place)

don't forget to quicksave before attempts :)

you can eventually redock the canadarm between elements, if you want to quicksave between the installation of the two elements :)

here's save for ISS after the mission :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a1orrtiqbttccw/ISS%204%20modules.sfs?dl=0

Modules for this save :

Zvezda
Zarya
Unity (+ PMA 1, 2 and now 3)
Z1 truss

Docked spacecraft :

Progress on the aft end of Zvezda

Edited by sgt_flyer

And here's the video for P6 truss assembly and solar array deployement :)

a few infos about what was done in the video :

the video is made of 3 joined clips, because i had to timewarp through the night before deploying each section of the solar arrays.

i've sped up to x8 the solar array deployement sequences, as it's a bit repetitive past adding the first element.

the small RCS drone used for assembly is disabled by default, so don't forget to enable the 4 quad RCS thrusters, the reaction wheels and to activate the monoprop fuel tank before using the drone.

i've rotated the station for the solar array assembly, in order to have the sideways docking ports lined up with the east-west line on the navball for having a much easier time adjusting the rotation of the various solar array segments before docking them in place.

i also check if the solar arrays are on the good side by deploying one of them, and turning them 180° if needed.

The files for the mission :

here's the prepared shuttle .craft file with the P6 truss as a payload, ready to take off :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9024nm4iw1bjf2z/STS-97.craft?dl=0

(you can use the 5 module ISS save released earlier as a starting point, if you want to fly STS-97 to the station)

here's the save file with the shuttle docked to ISS, after ascent and rendez-vous :
(the P6 truss is still in the cargo bay)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ggfsevkimd8o62/STS-97%20Assembly.sfs?dl=0

and here's the 5 modules ISS save file (the picture of this state is visible in the previous post) :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r92zj4k4pq8z4hg/ISS%205%20modules.sfs?dl=0

list of modules composing the station in this save file :

- Unity (+ PMA 1, 2 and 3)
- Zarya
- Zvezda (with Progress docked on Aft end of Zvezda)
- Z1 truss
- P6 truss with deployed solar array wings

Next mission will be the installation of the Destiny lab :) (STS-98)

Edited by sgt_flyer

11 hours ago, Majorjim said:

This whole thing is staggeringly good. People should see how much imagination and skill went into this build!

I said to him yesterday he should get thread of the month for this, it's incredible

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Getting the assets ready for the intro sequence is taking a while, but progress is good, just playing with some textures on the shuttle thanks to @5thHorseman

First off that looks awesome, and secondly what did I do to help that? The only thing I've done related to replacing textures on stuff was with fairings. Did you do something like that?

12 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

First off that looks awesome, and secondly what did I do to help that? The only thing I've done related to replacing textures on stuff was with fairings. Did you do something like that?

Yes I tried using the fairing switcher mod but it does not seem to work in 1.1.2, then I tried the modulemanager path using your texture.

@KerbalOmmex

heh :) i had to make them fit within 1.35m, so yes, i clipped 3 MK-1 command pods inside that :) 

now, the real soyuz descent module is also extremely cramped ^^ (especially with all the packages !)

Soyuz_TMA-13M_crew_node_full_image_2.jpg

there's a reason soyuz has an orbital module to give additionnal living space :wink: 

to give an idea of how much cramped is soyuz, the real Soyuz descent module is 2,17m in diameter for a crew of 3. The Mercury capsule for one astronaut had a diameter of 1,89m :) 

Edited by sgt_flyer

YUP! There simply is not a good analogue for capsules such as the Soyuz. With a little creativity though anything can be analogued with the parts we have.

This deserves thread of the month for the canadarm alone. I know of only two or three builders who could make such a thing.

Just now, Rune said:

Amazingly impractical

Sorry sir but I must protest!

impractical

ɪmˈpraktɪk(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: impractical
not adapted for use or action; not sensible or realistic.

It is the very definition of practical!

Just now, Rune said:

that Candarm is amazing!

This we agree on.

:D

38 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Sorry sir but I must protest!

impractical

ɪmˈpraktɪk(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: impractical
not adapted for use or action; not sensible or realistic.

It is the very definition of practical!

This we agree on.

:D

@Rune is right in a way, most of the time it would be much simpler to just use good old docking and rcs to accomplish everything, the arm is not intuitive at all. That being said when you finally get it attached and move something out of the bay it's a real high like when you first touched down on the Mun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.