[1.1.3] Realistic Remodel (v1.4)

WillThe84th

rrbanner.png?raw=true

Realistic Remodel is a Kopernicus Mod that makes the Kerbal solar system more like the real solar System. It rearranges the planets and changes the system almost completely.

Changes to the Solar System:

• All planets and moons have had their orbital and physical characteristics changes to be more similar their real life counterpart.
  • Some bodies have been moved completely to take the place of a real world object. (Ex: Minmus now orbits Eeloo, Ike now orbits Jool, Gilly and Bop now orbit Duna)
  • The entire solar system is on a ~20 degree tilt to simulate axial tilt for Kerbin. (RSS does this too)
  • For an in depth description of the the changes to each body, please consult the captions in the spoiler. :D

Color changes:

• Some bodies (Marcx, Jool, Sarnus, and Niedon) have had their colors changed to be more similar with their real-life counterpart.
  • I hope to add more color changes as time .

OPM Support:

• If you have OPM installed, all the changes listed above will occur to the OPM planets and moons
  • Plock and Karen are now the analogs for Pluto and Charon, and Eeloo and Minmus now orbit sarnus.
  • Hale and Ovok are now dwarf planets.

RemoteTech and KSCSwitcher:

• If added configs for both RemoteTech and KSCSwitcher.
  • With these two mods you will have a ground station network covering the entire planet that will be able to reach to Plock and beyond.
  • You will also have multiple launch site to launch from, including one that's (almost) on the equator for keosycronous sats and one near the north pole for polar sats.

Scaling:

• In the settings.cfg there is a parameter called scale, that will determine how bit the solar system is. 1 is stock scale and 10 is RSS scale.
  • I don't advise going too far beyond 10 or below 1.
  • Since RemoteTech has trouble with scaling, I've included multiple different RemoteTech configs, 1x, 2x, 4x, 5x, 8x, and 10x. You can switch between each one in he "Presets" tab of the RemoteTech menu.

Planets (Very Picture Heavy):

Spoiler

Moho: Analog of Mercury. Closest planet to the sun. Very similar to the stock Moho.

moho.png?raw=true

Vixen (Eve): Analog of Venus. Is now smaller than Kerbin and has a lower surface gravity.

vixen.png?raw=true

Kerbin: Analog of Earth. Radius increased to 637 km, which means SOI is much bigger and orbital velocity is a bit higher.

kerbin.png?raw=true

Mun: Analog of the Moon. Move to an orbit about 3 times higher than before. (1/10 of the distance between the Earth and the Moon)

mun.png?raw=true

A nice shot of Kerbin too.

Marcx (Duna): Analog of Mars. Size increased from 320 km in radius to about 340 km in radius.

marcx.png?raw=true

Proxi (Bop): Analog of Phobos. Proxi is miniscule; it has a Radius of 1.1 km, making it about 12 times smaller than Gilly.

proxi.png?raw=true

This is as far as I could zoom in.

Deedi (Gilly): Analog of Deimos. Even smaller than Proxi with a radius of only 620 m, making it 21 times smaller than Gilly.

deedi.png?raw=true

Again, as far as I could zoom in.

Ceru (Dres): Analog of Ceres. Even smaller than Dres. Moved to a more inclined orbit.

ceru.png?raw=true

Jool: Analog of Jupiter. Size increased to about 7000 km from 6000 km.

jool.png?raw=true

Ipoleta (Pol): Analog of Io. Now the closest moon of Jool. Size increased by about 4 times.

ipoleta.png?raw=true

It's so round now.

Estos (Vall): Analog of Europa. Is a bit smaller than before.

estos.png?raw=true

Garson (Tylo): Analog of Ganymede. Size decreased significantly, from 600 km in radius but about 260 km in radius.

garson.png?raw=true

Cleet (Ike): Analog of Callisto. Moved to the orbit of Jool.

cleet.png?raw=true

Pallo (Eeloo): Analog of Pluto Very similar to Eeloo in stock KSP. Orbit is more inclined.

pallo.png?raw=true 

Chardy (Minmus): Analog of Charon. Moved to orbit of Pallo. Is in a binary system with Pallo. (Removed because of bugs)

chardy.png?raw=true

A nice shot of Pallo in the background.

This mod requires Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions to work. It is highly recommended that you install OPM to complete the Solar System.

SpaceDock Download

Github Releases (Changelog is here too)

Source Code Here

License Here

Todo list:

• Change colors of planets. (Partly...)
  • Different scales. (x2.5, x5, x7.5, x10)
  • Add compatibility for more mods. (Partly...)
  • Update this thread with some of the colors...

P.S: This is my first mod, so I'm new to a lot of this stuff.

Edited by WillThe84th
v1.4

Interesting. A sort of a lighter version of Stockalike Solar System, with some of the kerbal-system aspects still there.

You know, if you want your sun to actually look smaller (in terms of the sun lens flare's size), then you should add this part which I put in Revamped Stock Kerbol System:

@Kopernicus
{
	@Body[Sun]
	{
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			Light
			{
				sunAU = 1496000000
				//was previously = 13599840256, or the semiMajorAxis of Kerbin.
				//I use this little piece of config in Revamped Stock Kerbol System, which also makes the system more realistic, including resizing the Sun.
			}
		}
	}
}

It's kind of interesting that you change the names of some of the planets. I like it. And about Joolian rings: Jupiter's large moons would seem to interfere with any large, visible rings forming in a stable position. Jupiter's main ring is barely visible and has a size determined by the inner orbit of the moon Metis and the outer boundary of the Jovian exosphere. Such a ring system is not likely to be any different for Jool. Jupiterdoes also have the so-called "Gossamer Rings" which are torus-shaped debris fields of dust and pebbles launched off of the inner regular moons by impacts. Of course, for Gossamer Rings to exist there must be inner regular moons. These would be small asteroid-like objects that accreted from the same cloud as Jool and the other moons, but all in much lower orbits than Laythe/Ipoleta.

It doesn't look like you've really increased the radius of the orbits of the Joolian moons to match the IRL distances. IRL, Jupiter's moons are about two or more times further out than Jool's moons (when accounting properly for the rescale)

One last thing: I recommend you take screenshots not from the behind, and from the in-flight map view. For whatever reason the tracking station has a much higher ambient light, which makes the whole system look bad and unrealistic. This is not there in the flight map view. Additionally, I would recommend taking screenshots from about 60o from where the sunlight is hitting it, so you do see the shadow, but not so much of it.

Edited by GregroxMun
exosphere, not magnetosphere. oops.

sounds interesting, and I apreciate that you added compatibility for some of my mods instead of just stealing the code :D

I noticed that you handle the resize of most planets independently from Dimensions, and use my mod just for a couple of planets.

Is there a particular reason why you do that?

6 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I noticed that you handle the resize of most planets independently from Dimensions, and use my mod just for a couple of planets.

Is there a particular reason why you do that?

When I re-sized bop and Gilly, they were incredibly spiky. I was able to fix this in the 1.0.5 version of Kopernicus, but when I updated to 1.1, the same method just didn't work, so I used your mod as a workaround. :wink:

9 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Interesting. A sort of a lighter version of Stockalike Solar System, with some of the kerbal-system aspects still there.

You know, if you want your sun to actually look smaller (in terms of the sun lens flare's size), then you should add this part which I put in Revamped Stock Kerbol System:

@Kopernicus
{
	@Body[Sun]
	{
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			Light
			{
				sunAU = 1496000000
				//was previously = 13599840256, or the semiMajorAxis of Kerbin.
				//I use this little piece of config in Revamped Stock Kerbol System, which also makes the system more realistic, including resizing the Sun.
			}
		}
	}
}

It's kind of interesting that you change the names of some of the planets. I like it. And about Joolian rings: Jupiter's large moons would seem to interfere with any large, visible rings forming in a stable position. Jupiter's main ring is barely visible and has a size determined by the inner orbit of the moon Metis and the outer boundary of the Jovian exosphere. Such a ring system is not likely to be any different for Jool. Jupiterdoes also have the so-called "Gossamer Rings" which are torus-shaped debris fields of dust and pebbles launched off of the inner regular moons by impacts. Of course, for Gossamer Rings to exist there must be inner regular moons. These would be small asteroid-like objects that accreted from the same cloud as Jool and the other moons, but all in much lower orbits than Laythe/Ipoleta.

It doesn't look like you've really increased the radius of the orbits of the Joolian moons to match the IRL distances. IRL, Jupiter's moons are about two or more times further out than Jool's moons (when accounting properly for the rescale)

One last thing: I recommend you take screenshots not from the behind, and from the in-flight map view. For whatever reason the tracking station has a much higher ambient light, which makes the whole system look bad and unrealistic. This is not there in the flight map view. Additionally, I would recommend taking screenshots from about 60o from where the sunlight is hitting it, so you do see the shadow, but not so much of it.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! :D

On 5/1/2016 at 6:28 AM, StarCrusher96 said:

I don't want to be rude but you're doing just the same thing as I did. 

How did I do the same thing you did, my mod and your mod have almost no similarities that I can see.

On 1.5.2016 at 0:28 PM, StarCrusher96 said:

I don't want to be rude but you're doing just the same thing as I did. 

Prime example of "I don't want to be XY but" sentences meaning that you  actually are ,  what you initially deny to be. That was extremely rude, since there is no reason for you to say something like this, like @WillThe84th already stated.

21 hours ago, WillThe84th said:

How did I do the same thing you did, my mod and your mod have almost no similarities that I can see.

There are some similarities that I can see. None make them a copy.

@WillThe84th I was going to do a planetary overhaul to make it similar to our solar system. Using PQS I was in fact going to end up revamping everything and adding my own version of OPM.

------------------------------

MERGED REPLY

Oh, and for rescales, use Sigma Dimensions. And Eeloos rotational period can be found by grabbing its ingame mass and going online to find a calculator.

30 minutes ago, MisterBennock said:

Hey man, very nice mod! I like it, finally something with an inclination that is still stock.

Just a question: Do you have any data on the atmospheres? Or are they the same size as stock?

Right now they're the same, but I'm going to change them to be more similar to reality.

Actually I'm in the process of doing that right now.

Edited by WillThe84th

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on this? I think this a fantastic mod and looking forward to enhancements.

Would it be possible to retexture like RSS does so the planets would also look their parts?

31 minutes ago, Faile said:

Any news on this? I think this a fantastic mod and looking forward to enhancements.

Would it be possible to retexture like RSS does so the planets would also look their parts?

That's what I'm trying to do next.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:05 AM, Interplanet Janet said:

Is this compatible with dres plus?

If yes what will happen?

Nothing will break, but I wouldn't recommend combining them, as it would mess stuff up. Such as the fact that the planets in Realistic Remodel have an inclination of a 20 degrees, and in Dres Plus, Dres' inclination is closer to zero.

Here are some cool pictures of the colors that are being added:

Spoiler

I made Marcx less red, it is now more orange, like Mars.

screenshot321.png?raw=true

Jool is orange now instead of green. It still looks cartoony though.

screenshot332.png?raw=true

Sarnus is now yellow instead of pink.

screenshot333.png?raw=true

The rings are yellow too.

screenshot322.png?raw=true

Neidon is blue instead of purple. It doesn't look as different as the others do though.

screenshot334.png?raw=true

All the other planets that are not displayed here and that will get color changes are not done yet. This includes Moho, (the texture is done, just not implemented yet) Vixen, (done, but it looks terrible) and Plock/Karen. (I just realized I should do those too)

Awesome looking work Will !

Can't wait to see how you slug on with this project. Resizes are def cool, and the recolors are excellent too. I wonder if you would have any interest in slight changes to the planets as well in terms of for instance GregRox's adding a small atmosphere to Moho!

Whichever way you go, good job! This is a really cool and fairly lightweight mod that makes things interesting again!

• 1 month later...

The colors have been taking more time than I though they would, so I decided to take a break and release a different update.

Changelog:

• Added scaling! In the settings.cfg file there is only one parameter called scale, change this to the number you want it to scale by.
  • Added support for RemoteTech. Kerbin now has multiple ground station scattered about. (Note: Since Remote tech doesn't handle scaling well, I've included Configs for 2x, 4x, 5x, 8x, and 10x you can switch to the one you want by going in to the presets tab in the RemoteTech menu.)
  • Added support for KSCSwitcher. I've added different sites to launch from just like RSS.
  • Added Laythe back.
  • Tweaked the atmosphere of Marcx and adjusted the orbits of Proxi and Deedi.

Color will come soon. (Or at least some of them)

39 minutes ago, Joco223 said:

Does this still work with 1.1.3? Also, any Dv maps for this mod yet? I really like your mod :wink:

Yeah it does work in 1.1.3, you just need to install Sigma Dimension manually. I don't know if anyone's made a delta v map yet, but I might consider making one.

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.