[1.1.2] Cacteye Telescopes Community Takeover (V 7.1.0)

Andem

Do you want the asteroid spawner to be optional?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the asteroid spawner to be made optional?

• Yes
    • No

Something has happened in my place of work, and I would probably get into trouble if I discussed it here.

Unfortunately, I will be unable to deal with Cacteye or any other mod for the forseeable future. Please remember this is a community effort, and I want all of you to pitch in! Thanks for all of the help and support, and whoever wants to take the lead PM me, and I'll see if a moderator can transfer thread ownership.

Fr1gYGI.jpg

CactEye is a plugin and set of parts that allow for modular orbital telescopes. CactEye telescopes feature a fully-functional science system, and is upgradable/serviceable (primarily through Kerbal Inventory System). Orbital telescopes also now become fundamental to discovering asteroids.

Unfortunately, Some people on here don't like the forum rules regarding Mod deveopment, leading to Angel 125 dropping this project. This now is open to the community to add to, and work on collectively. In order to keep the mod orderly, We will hold a vote on features, parts, etc. before including anything in an official release.

CactEye Telescopes works best with Distant Object Enhancement by MOARdv.

Download at Github.

Liscence:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/

"Cacteye Telescopes Community Takeover" is a derivative work of "CactEye Telescopes Continued" by Angel 125, which is a derivative work of "CactEye 2" by Raven, which is a derivative work of "CactEye Orbital Telescope" by Rubber-Ducky. It is licensed under CC BY 4.0.

Contributers:

Edited by Andem
Sorry KaiserSoze, I thought I had put you on the contributers list...

I remember this mod being so much fun, and the first time you looked through the scope it was "Oooooooh i can see ####, i can see ##### too!" like a ten year old with a real telescope.

All power to you, Andem!

12 minutes ago, Stevie_D said:

I remember this mod being so much fun, and the first time you looked through the scope it was "Oooooooh i can see ####, i can see ##### too!" like a ten year old with a real telescope.

All power to you, Andem!

Thanks! But I must stress this, I am inviting everyone to keep this great mod from dying. This should be a group effort, like with RemoteTech.

Great work.

I would also like to thank @Angel-125 in the previous thread, but it's now closed. I'm the guy who did the latest contract updated for him, so if you need some help with that (or if I messed up something, which is possible) feel free to ask me. Also If you want new contract or have some ideas about contract but no time/patience to learn contract configurator.

EDIT: PS: How the **** do I use those tags with the name of some user?

Edited by KaiserSoze
PS: rant.

Congrats on a new thread! Looking forward to where this goes as I always really liked the models and texures; I'll have to give this another download.

Out of curiosity, why the change in ownership? If I were a betting man, I'd say Angel has a full plate and I know he just released a number of mods fully, so my guess is he's just busy.

About the poll: What does the plugin do again? Is that just the asteroid spawner? I remember having issues with it back in the day conflicting with Custom 'Roids I believe.

----edit-----

misread poll as "plugin" not spawner

Edited by Deimos Rast

2 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Congrats on a new thread! Looking forward to where this goes as I always really liked the models and texures; I'll have to give this another download.

Out of curiosity, why the change in ownership? If I were a betting man, I'd say Angel has a full plate and I know he just released a number of mods fully, so my guess is he's just busy.

About the poll: What does the plugin do again? Is that just the asteroid spawner? I remember having issues with it back in the day conflicting with Custom 'Roids I believe.

----edit-----

misread poll as "plugin" not spawner

Angel-125 got harassed by several unknown users, and He decided to focus on his other projects.

I'm currently taking a look at the spawner code, and tweaking it to check a settings config before using the asteroid spawner.

8 minutes ago, ThatOneBritishGuy... said:

Not to sound like I'm flaming here.... But this mod is definitely cursed.

Well, I certainly hope not... although at this point I would be inclined to agree :D

I'd love to see some cross compatibility with Tarsiers Space Telescopes. Probably not going to happen but I have tried and like both mods for different reasons. I'll try to keep an eye open for this one if it goes fully live again!

I'm having a little issue. I just got the FungEye Telescope into orbit and took a picture of the Mun (actually I probably took 5 as I didn't know if it works, there was no message). Now the science window popped up and it has 5 results. Each of them is worth 3.2 science and the bars are only about 1/10 filled but whenever I click Keep Experiment or Transmit Data, nothing seem to happen and the debug log says:

[Log]: CactEye 2: Logical Error 3: SkinStored is null!

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The science window doesn't disappear and it still says theres five of these experiments, when I transmit, it does give me a tiny amount of science but the experiment is still there.

3 hours ago, Patrykz94 said:

I'm having a little issue. I just got the FungEye Telescope into orbit and took a picture of the Mun (actually I probably took 5 as I didn't know if it works, there was no message). Now the science window popped up and it has 5 results. Each of them is worth 3.2 science and the bars are only about 1/10 filled but whenever I click Keep Experiment or Transmit Data, nothing seem to happen and the debug log says:

[Log]: CactEye 2: Logical Error 3: SkinStored is null!

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The science window doesn't disappear and it still says theres five of these experiments, when I transmit, it does give me a tiny amount of science but the experiment is still there.

Hmm. I'll give it a look as soon as I can get KSP running prpoperly.

I'm also up for helping to develop this mod. I have lots of ideas and am an experienced coder, but I'm new to the community and have never touched KSP modding before! Fingers crossed this is a good place to start...

In fact, I'm so new I don't even know the best place to take development discussion. Do we keep that here, go over to GitHub or somewhere else?

On 29-4-2016 at 3:25 AM, Andem said:

Unfortunately, Some people on here don't like the forum rules regarding Mod deveopment, leading to Angel 125 dropping this project.

Exactly what forum rules regarding Mod development were broken?

5 minutes ago, cyberpunkdreams said:

I don't think there was anything public nagging on the old thread. Must have been via PM?

Although nagging can be annoying  it by no mean a reason to quit a project. Perhaps he simply had his hands full already and aks for the community to take over the project, which in practice means another developer

Edited by FreeThinker

57 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Although nagging can be annoying  it by no mean a reason to quit a project. Perhaps he simply had his hands full already and aks for the community to take over the project, which in practice means another developer

I don't know the specifics, but Angel 125 has several large mods he is working on, and said he couldn't deal with people constantly pestering him over Cacteye. You should check out the thread:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.