[1.1.2] Cacteye Telescopes Community Takeover (V 7.1.0)

Andem

Do you want the asteroid spawner to be optional?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the asteroid spawner to be made optional?

• Yes
    • No

4 minutes ago, Andem said:

I don't know the specifics, but Angel 125 has several large mods he is working on, and said he couldn't deal with people constantly pestering him over Cacteye. You should check out the thread:

Well this is how things go in the modding community, a developer burns out and another developer takes over.  Still a lot knowledge is often lost in the transition. Did you get any help?

54 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well this is how things go in the modding community, a developer burns out and another developer takes over.  Still a lot knowledge is often lost in the transition. Did you get any help?

No, but I also didn't ask for it either. I didn't ant to pressure him over a mod he's already dropped.

Edited by Andem

So happy that someone picked up development of this mod. 

Having one issue that maybe someone can help with.  I launched a telescope into space and opened the aperture, when I activated the GUI it said I needed to fit an image processor.  I reverted the flight, found the processor and stuck it on the side of the telescope optic.  I am still not able to see the GUI as it says the processor is still missing.  If someone could point out what I'm doing wrong, that would be great.

Keep up the great work.

14 hours ago, HazyHills said:

So happy that someone picked up development of this mod. 

Having one issue that maybe someone can help with.  I launched a telescope into space and opened the aperture, when I activated the GUI it said I needed to fit an image processor.  I reverted the flight, found the processor and stuck it on the side of the telescope optic.  I am still not able to see the GUI as it says the processor is still missing.  If someone could point out what I'm doing wrong, that would be great.

Keep up the great work.

I am not able to check right now but if i remember correctly there is also a processor casing or mounting or similar. You put this part anywhere on the telescope "ship" and then put the processor inside it.

1 hour ago, Vrana said:

I am not able to check right now but if i remember correctly there is also a processor casing or mounting or similar. You put this part anywhere on the telescope "ship" and then put the processor inside it.

Wow, thanks!  I must have missed the extra part.  Last time I used this mod you just needed the optics.  Thanks for your help!

// spelling mistakes in contracts
@CONTRACT_TYPE[CactEyePlanetObservation1]
{
  @targetBody = [Eve,Mun,Minmus,Duna,Jool].Random()
}
@CONTRACT_TYPE[CactEyePlanetObservation3]
{
  @targetBody = [Gilly,Ike,Laythe,Tylo,Vall,Pol,Bop,Eeloo].Random()
}

It was "Minmas" and "Poll" originally

Hello, I love mods like this and was excited to find Cacteye.  I have been playing around with it this morning but I seem to be having issues.  

I run the game on triple monitors (5760 X 1080) and have had a problem with the UI.  When I toggle the UI on it is massive.  So large that I can only see part of the top of the window.  I can't see a way to resize it and all I can do is close the window.  Any ideas on a solution?  

Thank you

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎03 at 9:45 AM, cyberpunkdreams said:

I don't think there was anything public nagging on the old thread. Must have been via PM?

It should be noted that forum mods are pretty good at deleting posts that violate rules.  I've never hosted my own mod thread, but I suspect that mod-authors would be taken seriously if they PMed a forum moderator to report people nagging.  What we see on that thread is anything that hasn't been deleted.

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎05 at 10:06 AM, CaptMJB said:

Hello, I love mods like this and was excited to find Cacteye.  I have been playing around with it this morning but I seem to be having issues.  

I run the game on triple monitors (5760 X 1080) and have had a problem with the UI.  When I toggle the UI on it is massive.  So large that I can only see part of the top of the window.  I can't see a way to resize it and all I can do is close the window.  Any ideas on a solution?  

Thank you

On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎05 at 6:51 PM, Andem said:

Not at the moment AFAIK, but I'll get right to work on it.

I vaguely recall that at one time they did -- in fact, I think GrunfWorks has a YouTube series still running based in v0.90 and I think he runs both of those mods.

But if not, oh Dear Sweet Jebediah I would I love to see this.  They essentially sound like two halves of the same mod, to me.

I've constructed a simple telescope with Mk1 widefield camera, everything goes fine until I open the UI and make observations.

1. Science report window is not closed whatever I do, eventhough data is transmitted.
  2. If I alt+tab, I have wierd graphical glitches until I open Cacteye UI again.
  3. If I revert flight I cannot leave VAB, pressing "Launch" or "Go back" buttons does not give any effect.

54 minutes ago, RealGecko said:

I've constructed a simple telescope with Mk1 widefield camera, everything goes fine until I open the UI and make observations.

1. Science report window is not closed whatever I do, eventhough data is transmitted.
  2. If I alt+tab, I have wierd graphical glitches until I open Cacteye UI again.
  3. If I revert flight I cannot leave VAB, pressing "Launch" or "Go back" buttons does not give any effect.

I can't seem to replicate... You clearly have several mods installed, is it possible any of them are in conflict?

11 hours ago, Andem said:

I can't seem to replicate... You clearly have several mods installed, is it possible any of them are in conflict?

Ok, I removed everything except CactEye, AVC and ExceptionDetector. Everything goes smooth until I press "magic" button for gaining science.

Here's my save and log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fuupsivxxvy0c3/default.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d90qqcpouggmuwg/output_log.txt?dl=0

On 5/8/2016 at 7:52 AM, RealGecko said:

Ok, I removed everything except CactEye, AVC and ExceptionDetector. Everything goes smooth until I press "magic" button for gaining science.

Here's my save and log

Thank you. It's funny you wre looking at Dres, I was using it to attempt a recreation :D.

Taking a look at the logs now, hopefully they will provide some insight.

One addenda to the issue as I'm experiencing it; until you give up trying to get the GUI unstuck, each time you hit 'transmit' it acts as if this is the first time you've sent that data.

I have not tried the larger telescope, only the FungEye. Will give it a whirl later on as I have those parts unlocked in my current save.

On 5/1/2016 at 0:07 PM, Deimos Rast said:

Congrats on a new thread! Looking forward to where this goes as I always really liked the models and texures; I'll have to give this another download.

Out of curiosity, why the change in ownership? If I were a betting man, I'd say Angel has a full plate and I know he just released a number of mods fully, so my guess is he's just busy.

About the poll: What does the plugin do again? Is that just the asteroid spawner? I remember having issues with it back in the day conflicting with Custom 'Roids I believe.

----edit-----

misread poll as "plugin" not spawner

The plugin is more than just the asteroid spawner. The plugin, if I remember correctly, implements the Cacteye control panel that allows you to "look through the telescope." I think there's also a screenshot option in there somewhere.

On 5/1/2016 at 2:41 PM, Andem said:

Angel-125 got harassed by several unknown users, and He decided to focus on his other projects.

Doesn't surprise me. I think every mod community is plagued by that at some point in time. I remember plenty of modders in the Oblivion and Skyrim crowd that have done the same thing. Some have even taken their mods offline. It doesn't bother me; I'm usually like "whatever" when people are rude.

On 5/2/2016 at 8:07 PM, swjr-swis said:

I love Custom Asteroids, so if making the spawner optional means this mod and Custom Asteroids can work together, I'm all for it.

Definately possible. And easy to implement. Before my butt got kicked by real life I was actually planning on starting to code a configuration window through the app launcher that would allow you to toggle certain features.

On 5/2/2016 at 4:51 PM, Patrykz94 said:

I'm having a little issue. I just got the FungEye Telescope into orbit and took a picture of the Mun (actually I probably took 5 as I didn't know if it works, there was no message). Now the science window popped up and it has 5 results. Each of them is worth 3.2 science and the bars are only about 1/10 filled but whenever I click Keep Experiment or Transmit Data, nothing seem to happen and the debug log says:

[Log]: CactEye 2: Logical Error 3: SkinStored is null!

[Exception]: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

The science window doesn't disappear and it still says theres five of these experiments, when I transmit, it does give me a tiny amount of science but the experiment is still there.

There's a linked to known error codes here: https://github.com/Raven45/CactEye-2/wiki/CactEye-2-Error-Codes

Logical error 3 basically means we have a very serious bug in the code base. It has to do with the custom science dialogue that shows a screenshot of the celestial body you've just taken screeny/science of. Long story short, something's broke. The beauty of this error code is that all "Andem" needs to do to find the broken code is to do a word search for "logical error 3" in the code, as there's one and only one spot where that string exists in the code.

On 5/8/2016 at 7:52 AM, RealGecko said:

Here's my save and log

19 hours ago, Doghead13 said:

Running into the same problem as RealGecko.

Yup, same issue as what @Patrykz94 is experiencing. The bug is at line 381 of the CactEyeProcessor.cs file. Basically, when you run a science experiment, it throws a null reference exception. I have a gut feeling that this is related to the migration to Unity 5 (I'm assuming that's happened, it's been a while since I've been on the forums so I'm out of touch), and that the code needs to be updated to the new gui classes. 

1 minute ago, Raven. said:

Yup, same issue as what @Patrykz94 is experiencing. The bug is at line 381 of the CactEyeProcessor.cs file. Basically, when you run a science experiment, it throws a null reference exception. I have a gut feeling that this is related to the migration to Unity 5 (I'm assuming that's happened, it's been a while since I've been on the forums so I'm out of touch), and that the code needs to be updated to the new gui classes. 

I'm unsure, as @Angel-125 did the last updates.I'm looking into it, but haven't had any success so far.

On 5/16/2016 at 3:33 PM, dlrk said:

Looking for an opinion, does this go well as a complement to TST telescope, or is it better to use one or the other?

As far as telescopes, I would personally choose one. TST has some other parts that are out of this mod's scope, so if you want things like the chem cam I would suggest adding it as well.

On 5/5/2016 at 5:26 AM, Gaiiden said:

// spelling mistakes in contracts
@CONTRACT_TYPE[CactEyePlanetObservation1]
{
  @targetBody = [Eve,Mun,Minmus,Duna,Jool].Random()
}
@CONTRACT_TYPE[CactEyePlanetObservation3]
{
  @targetBody = [Gilly,Ike,Laythe,Tylo,Vall,Pol,Bop,Eeloo].Random()
}

It was "Minmas" and "Poll" originally

Weird. I fixed the contracts and adapt them to be possible to use them in other mods (OPM). It seems my files somehow get lost in the release (I didn't notice because I use my own files)

Should I make a pull request?

EDIT: just checked: My code is there, but in the release file is not updated and it still uses the old contracts with all the typos.

Whoever can make release should use the files in:

CactEye-2/CactEyeOptics/GameData/CactEye/Contracts/

Edited by KaiserSoze

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.