[1.3] Jettison - dump unwanted resources

Biff Space

Jettison
This mod allows individual resource tanks to be emptied from the right-click menu.

Download at SpaceDock

Overview
Resources may be dumped from tanks using the right-click menu. This is for the cases where you have brought along monoprop in ships that don't use it or oxidizer in tanks feeding nuclear engines, or you need to get rid of extra mass by any means.

A button is added to the right click menu of any tank with resources, except for electric charge, ablator, solid fuel, and ore (which already has this functionality in stock). For tanks holding both liquid fuel and oxidizer, clicking once empties the oxidizer, and a second click empties the liquid fuel. Other mod resources should be treated as stock ones, but if there are different types of mod resource held in the same tank, all will be emptied with one click.

Installation
The Jettison folder needs to be unzipped and put in your KSP\GameData folder.

Jettison requires Module Manager, which is not included in the zip file. This should go in the GameData folder. 

Code
The source code is in the Source folder in GameData\Jettison.

Updates

2017-09-28, v1.3.0.0

- recompiled with KSP 1.3 binaries. 

2016-07-05, v 1.1.0.0.

- Removed duplicate button from monoprop tanks

- Compiled with KSP 1.1.3 binaries

Licence
Jettison, its associated files and the source code are all released under the GPL 3 licence, text here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt.

Edited by Biff Space
v1.3

12 hours ago, MisterFister said:

How does your mod here differ from this one?

I wasn't aware of that mod when I published mine. 

Having done some quick testing, the differences seem to be:

- mine does not jettison electric charge, solid fuel, or ablator, the linked one does.

- for parts with multiple resources (eg liquid fuel & oxidizer tanks, command capsules containing electric charge and monoprop) the linked mod jettisons everything on the one click. Mine jettisons one resource per click. If one of the resources is liquid fuel, it is jettisoned last, so that you can dump oxidizer if you have some in a tank fuelling nuclear engines.

- The behind-the-scenes difference is that the linked mod is a Module Manager cfg file only, adding the stock ModuleFuelJettison functionality to any part with resources, (and also any part with ProceduralPart or InterstellarFuelSwitch) that doesn't already have it. Mine uses Module Manager to implement a new PartModule functionality, Jettison, which allows the hard-coded exemption of electricCharge and the multiple clicks for multiple resources behaviour.

• 2 months later...

So this is just a one-and-done button? Any chance of triggering a release at a certain rate that can be stopped? It could be nice to just bleed off *some* fuel for weight management needs, etc.

Great mod, thank you!

9 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

So this is just a one-and-done button? Any chance of triggering a release at a certain rate that can be stopped? It could be nice to just bleed off *some* fuel for weight management needs, etc.

Great mod, thank you!

Yes, at the moment the button instantly empties the tank. If you want the ability to remove some resource, you could look into the TAC Fuel Balancer mod, which allows you to drain tanks at various speeds (and has many other features too).

11 hours ago, Biff Space said:

Yes, at the moment the button instantly empties the tank. If you want the ability to remove some resource, you could look into the TAC Fuel Balancer mod, which allows you to drain tanks at various speeds (and has many other features too).

oh -- I currently use that mod, and completely forgot it had a 'vent' feature. :D

22 hours ago, RoverDude said:

FYI - the stock ModuleJettison fully supports what this mod does (i.e. per-resource jettison, etc.) :wink:  

(Source:  I coded it)

do yo mean ModuleFuelJettison ?

because ModuleJettison is for fairings AFAIK.

• 6 months later...
15 hours ago, Biff Space said:

It's working as normal for me. You seem to have another resources-related mod installed - what is giving that 'flow priority' line at the bottom of the menu dialog?

Possibly my mod and another one are not playing nicely together.

That's a stock feature as of 1.2 (you have to enable Advanced Tweakables)

On 27. 1. 2017 at 1:05 AM, flatbear said:

is this updated for 1.2 yet? nothing happens when I click jettison resources

I did notice the same yesterday... But I had no chance to do further tests (resource transfer dependacy? possible mod causing that?) as I noticed it on final flight of night. Please let me know if you find smthin.

On 1/26/2017 at 11:14 PM, Biff Space said:

It's working as normal for me. You seem to have another resources-related mod installed - what is giving that 'flow priority' line at the bottom of the menu dialog?

Possibly my mod and another one are not playing nicely together.

Isn't flow priority just stock in lap 1.2?

KSP Console :

Error: Module Jettison threw during OnUpdate: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'PartResoureList.GetEnumerator'.

at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by Skalgrin
correction

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/6/2016 at 2:53 PM, RoverDude said:

FYI - the stock ModuleJettison fully supports what this mod does (i.e. per-resource jettison, etc.) :wink:  

Is there anywhere this is documented? The only place it's used in stock is in the ore tanks, which just jettison 100% of all resources. Would be handy to know how to use this feature for e.g. life support multi-resource containers, so that we could jettison some fraction of waste products without tossing all of the snacks out as well :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1.2.2017 at 10:18 PM, Skalgrin said:

KSP Console :

Error: Module Jettison threw during OnUpdate: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'PartResoureList.GetEnumerator'.

at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Same error message here. KSP Version 1.2.2.1622

On 8. 5. 2017 at 9:17 AM, ezfox said:

Same error message here. KSP Version 1.2.2.1622

I "solved" it by moving into TAC Fuel Balancer. However, on stock install Jettison did work for me, therefore it is mod conflict, albeit I have not identified which one.

• 4 months later...

Great mod. Necessary one too. 

Dump it all, though? In some scenarios, such as landing an spaceplane which is too heavy, you should want to dump MOST of  your fuel and not all of it.

I know it must be difficult to make a measured jettison (say, dump whichever "x" percent of fuel I damn well please!) since  this is pretty much the ore jettison button applied to other tanks, but perhaps there could be two clicks on the button: once, and it jettisons 95% of fuel (or 90, or 85 whatever), and a second click jettisons the rest.

Could it be done? It would be very useful!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.