[removed]

AliceTheGorgon

3 hours ago, AliceTheGorgon said:

Was there a particular reason to want it disabled?

I was flying around Kerbin in SXT planes and got bit annoyed by message. But looks like you partially solved the issue.

Also need testing - how it will behave with EVA chutes and eject system...

However - if you want to be perfectly safe, but EVA from lander without ladders on Minmus or Mun? :P

Anyway if it not so hard to implement , would be cool to have config option:

1) message

2) popup

3) popup in flight / message landed

But I love this mods as it is, I love realism gameplay changers in KSP

On 1/20/2017 at 3:55 PM, Skalou said:

there was this mod a few time ago,

I was working great, with the feature of "no more ifinte eva propelant" too, maybe you can look at it to solve your bugs.

Unfortunately, the way it used to work depended on the way KSP dealt with EVA fuel.  That has totally changed.

Sure.

It's actually much easier than you think, because if you use the builtin settings class, you have very little coding to do.

The following mods are ones that I maintain, extend, etc, and use this:

Look for the following text: GameParameters.CustomParameterNode

Also, read the following, search for  "Mod integration into Stock Settings:

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Couple of suggestions.  First, I hope the links I sent you regarding the Settings was useful.

1. In the settings, have an option to disable the messages that show how much has been loaded and returned.
  2. In the settings, have an option to select the EVA Propellent type, so that it can be something other than monoprop
  3. In the settings, have an option regarding adding EVA Propellent to every part that hold a kerbal.  You can do this by renaming a cfg file and requiring a game restart.

Regarding storage in the individual parts, every part that is in existance has a unique identifier.  You can store those parts (as they are encountered) in a Dictionary<String, Part>, and then write that dictionary out to a file in the save directory, and obviously, load it at game start.  

I'm currently working on implementing something like the dictionary for EVAExtensions, where I'm adding the restriction to limit the EVA Propellent a kerbal can have (similar to what EVAManager used to do).  In other words, a Kerbal will have 5 units of propellent for the life of a mission.  I'm still not convinced as to whether I will release this or not, and if I do, I'll need to make sure it plays well with your mod.  I already have it working ingame, I just need to write the code to save and load it.  If you're interested, I'll send it to you when complete

6 hours ago, AliceTheGorgon said:

Minor update on the GameParameters stuff. I started going over it, and I've hit a bit of a snag because there doesn't seem to be a way to get them to accept arbitrary input (text strings, mostly), such as for specifying the fuel type without hard-coding every single possible fuel type into the list, or for letting the user enter their desired conversion ratio without limiting it to arbitrary amounts.

Can you use a list as a parameter ? If so you can get the list of all the resources loaded in the game and populate the parameters 's list with it. In my opinion let the user enter the name of the resource will be prone to error.

Too bad the list as a parameter don't work. Another approach : display each resource as a toggle parameter, in your script you will need to check that only one toggle is set to true at a time but that should be doable. The downside is you will end up with a big list of On/Off switch in the difficulty window, particularly with a modded game. Don't think it is very "user-friendly"...

On 1/27/2017 at 5:27 AM, AliceTheGorgon said:

In other words, a Kerbal will have 5 units of propellent for the life of a mission.  I'm still not convinced as to whether I will release this or not, and if I do, I'll need to make sure it plays well with your mod.

I'm not sure how setting variables across mods works, but as part of the GameParameters stuff I'll be adding a bool that disables this mod for that save, so the "only 5 fuel until you recover and relaunch" mod should be able to just set EvaFuel to disabled for the save if it's enabled.
(Edit: Assuming you want the mod to be able to automatically detect and fix conflicts, instead of relying on the user to ensure that they don't have both enabled at once.)

On 1/23/2017 at 8:00 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I already have it working ingame, I just need to write the code to save and load it.  If you're interested, I'll send it to you when complete

That would be awesome. I'm going to need to get saving/loading stuff setup for a number of things in this mod, so It'll be great to have a comparatively simple example to consult.

See the PM I sent.

I've also mostly merged it in to your code (the full functionality, being that eva fuel is totally limited), I think it might be better to have that in the EVAFuel mod rather than two separate mods which do the same thing. Let me know if you want that, I can easily push it to github and merge.

FYI, the code I sent you was based on an older version, just look for "kerbalEVAFueldata"

I would also suggest breaking the settings out into a separate file.  Would be easier to maintain, and for someone (ie: me) to write and add some code to a smaller, single-purpose file rahter than the beg EvaFuelManager.cs file

On 1/28/2017 at 3:51 AM, Li0n said:

Too bad the list as a parameter don't work. Another approach : display each resource as a toggle parameter, in your script you will need to check that only one toggle is set to true at a time but that should be doable. The downside is you will end up with a big list of On/Off switch in the difficulty window, particularly with a modded game. Don't think it is very "user-friendly"...

There is a trick which can be used to open up a window.  Essentially, have a toggle button, (on/off), when clicked, you can detect it and open up a new MonoBehaviour window.

2 hours ago, AliceTheGorgon said:

@linuxgurugamer
Thanks for sending the code! Everything seems straightforward enough, and I'm working on getting stuff knitted together.
I was just wondering what was up with the "Log.Info" and "Log.Error" parts, because monodevelop is complaining that "The name `Log' does not exist in the current context". I've double-checked the "using" declarations, and looked for custom functions for logging, but didn't find anything.
It's simple enough to change them to plain old Debug.Log entries, but if there's a more featureful logger I should probably use that instead.

Oh, I use a custom logging script.  But if you are going to add the limited fuel ability, why don't you just take a PR which will have everything all together?

I just did a PR for you on Github, but if you want to look at it, the link is here:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/EvaFuel

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone used this with Kerbalism? My initial install without tweaking anything shows a problem in that the kerbal no longer has EVA Fuel when outside the capsule, just MonoProp. Which works when you exit the capsule but going back in returns 0 and EVA'ing again says there's no MP left when there is

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.