Is there some little design quirk you build into every vehicle?

On 4/30/2016 at 5:15 PM, dangerhamster said:

As soon as the parts are unlocked I put a monoprop powered braking system on my re-entry units. Just for those "does the horizon look lumpy to you Jeb moments".

Hmmm... that is a fantastic idea. Stealing this!

Oh, and you know it's mine when it doesn't make it off the runway or launchpad. Kinda my signature thig.

Well, can't say I have something I do for every craft, but there are some things I tend to do.

-Dedicated rovers never have RCS or reaction wheels. They always have all wheel drive. No Exceptions.
-Dedicated atmospheric flyers are like my rovers, no reaction wheels (pod ones are disabled) or RCS. Only exceptions being VTOLs, but unless its a dropship, I usually can live with just the pod reaction wheels.

12 hours ago, NoMrBond said:

Docking ports have 4x Z-100 batteries around them, rotated and gizmo'd in so only their lights are sticking out and framing the docking port, so that I can see them in the dark

I always put spot lights around mine, which help at a distance, but blind/whitewash everything at close proximity.

I now have a new solution!

*YOINK!*

I usually like to forget all the necessary pieces of the rocket.  Solar panels, lights, parachutes, etc...  The crew....  But, either way, I fix it right after I'm half way to the destination.  It is very ineffective effective.  Just recently I found out my huge Mun colony didn't have parachutes to come back.  I mean, it may have been intentional to save Delta-V, (indefinite colony) but looking back on it, this is going to be a lot harder.  Now I have to send up a bunch of empty properly equipped landers. 

Edited by RandomUser

Lately I always seem to forget lights. And my docking always seems to happen in the dark. Good thing I dock by instruments instead of Mk I eyeball. 

And yeah, once I have RTGs I do not leave the pad without them. Never worry about forgetting to deploy panels (or lock out a battery) ag-*transmission signal lost*

Now that I think about it, I've become pretty religious about doing a few things to just about every craft.

1. KAS/KIS Supplies - I generally add the following in varying quanities to every craft.
    • 1x Electric Screwdriver per crew member
    • 1 KIS Manual
    • 10x Connectors
    • 10x Struts
    • 1x EVA Propellant per crew member
    • (Optional) 5x Explosives
    • (Optionally) Some extra parts, winches, antennas, lights, etc
  2. Standardized usage of action groups.
    • Custom1 - Main Engine: On/Off
    • Custom2 - Main Engine: Switch Mode (Used for dual mode engines like the CR-7 Rapier)
    • Custom3 - Secondary Engine: On/Off (Typically used for VTOL operations)
    • Custom4 - Solar Panels: Extend/Retract (Or just extend for fixed ones)
    • Custom5 - Decrease Flap Deflection (Flaps Up)
    • Custom6 - Increase Flap Deflection (Flaps Down)
    • Custom7 - Airbrakes
    • Custom8 - Unused
    • Custom9 - Specialized Lightning: On/Off (Such as docking port or cargo bay interior/exterior lighting)
    • Custom10 - Aircraft Navigation Lighting: On/Off (Red & Green Beacons, Plus 1 - 2 White Strobes)
  3. Shuttles almost always have an array of OX-STAT-XL panels on the top surface of the main wings.
  4. Shuttles generally at least have a small probe core hidden in the tail boom to grant full SAS even to non-pilots.
  5. Science experiments usually are arranged around the hatch or ladder to require minimum effort to reach them.
  6. I do a full flight control check before I take off in any aircraft/shuttle.  Prevented quite a few issues this way, particularly with something in the editor breaking my action groups.

On 5/2/2016 at 5:51 AM, NoMrBond said:

Docking ports have 4x Z-100 batteries around them, rotated and gizmo'd in so only their lights are sticking out and framing the docking port, so that I can see them in the dark

I think a lot of us will be nicking that one. 

On 5/2/2016 at 0:51 AM, NoMrBond said:

Awwww man!!!  I just added a new docking port section to one of my space stations yesterday... then I read this.... now I'm seriously considering stealing borrowing this idea and re-launching a whole new section!  :wink:

With every new major version of KSP, I check to see if AviationLights has been updated, because my big design quirk has been to aways use proper red/green Port/Starboard indicator lights on my vessels (especially crewed vessels and probes designed to dock with or otherwise interact with crewed ships or stations).  I also try to standardize my action group numbers as much as possible - 1 is always my deployable solar arrays; 2 is for my AviationLights; 3 is for any radiators - if installed; 4 usually runs all scientific instrument tests at once; I can then choose to keep the data or reset any individual instrument with the Science popup; etc.

36 minutes ago, LameLefty said:

With every new major version of KSP, I check to see if AviationLights has been updated, because my big design quirk has been to aways use proper red/green Port/Starboard indicator lights on my vessels (especially crewed vessels and probes designed to dock with or otherwise interact with crewed ships or stations).  I also try to standardize my action group numbers as much as possible - 1 is always my deployable solar arrays; 2 is for my AviationLights; 3 is for any radiators - if installed; 4 usually runs all scientific instrument tests at once; I can then choose to keep the data or reset any individual instrument with the Science popup; etc.

Hey, someone after my own heart... and I also use the blue nav lights out of that pack to indicate docking ports. There's a set of antennae that I use from @Lack's mods. I also standardize my action groups as well... makes gameplay a lot easier.

1 hour ago, RizzoTheRat said:

I think a lot of us will be nicking that one. 

That reminded me of another thing I do...

Bury one of those little batteries on the "up" side of a pod or adapter, so I can know which way is "up." Don't always do it, but usually do. Turn the battery off, and it is good for emergencies like "oh crap Jeb, you left the solar panels facing the wrong way"

5 hours ago, Space Cat said:

Am I the only one who does not over-engineer everything?

Quite possibly! My little design quirk is.... massively over engineer everything.

For example, today I'd like to go to Ike. So I build a little 3.5 ton lander....

But, why take just one Kerbal? Let's take the whole crew!

You want to upgrade to a space plane? You're damn right I want to upgrade to a space plane!

You'll be wanting hydroponics on that space plane! And fertilizer! And supplies! And a nuclear power plant! And an aft mounted cupola for filming Ziggy Stardust renditions!

But what if you run out of supplies? Add a probe core - they don't need supplies! But what's that? You accidentally cooked the probe core when you left the lander engine running after a test flight? Well, best add a heatshield for that probe, it's only another 300kg!

And another 3 tons of jet engines, purely for your return to Kerbin, allowing you to cruise around for a prettier landing site, well that's just common sense. And airbrakes! And a drag chute! Just in case the landing strip is short.

Before you know it, you're looking at a 379 ton, 169 part monster. To go to Ike.

LrVjjS9.jpg

Two radial symmetry'd moving solar panels.

Think about it. It's absolutely perfect because there's only one orientation where they won't produce power. 100% output can be achieved by rolling no matter where your nose is pointed. 

Whenever I use SRB's I never use sepatrons. I always put two angled basic fins about 1/4 down the boosters length. It works with every size, although it can be a bit iffy on kickbacks. 

Whenever I radially attach a 1.25m tank to another tank I always use the type B (slanted) nose cone, especially when they're being attached to a 2.5m core. 

On 5/1/2016 at 11:25 AM, mrclucks said:

I tend to try to make every thing vertically symmetrical.  4x symmetry is basically a religious thing for me, Unless it's a bigger part like scansats scanners.  Even antennas will be 4x because I think it looks better.

This. I'll put 4x antennas on it just because it looks better. Sputnik with only one antenna is an Eyebot. :D

Seperitrons as deorbit motors, always with a T/W ratio over 1 so I can use it as a pusher abort system.

And about 4 more parachutes than I really need. 

And I do usually use this stuff, even though I over engineer my craft by a LOT, because I'm a terrible pilot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.