[WIP] [1.2.1] [2.0.4] Stock Size Real Solar System

sDaZe

A little update for everyone. Ill get a update for the mod out tomorrow but after tomorrow things will slow down for like a week, tops. Just thought i should tell you so you dont think the mod is dead

This will be a shock to the system, Venus's atmosphere is quite a lot thicker than Earths, if you make this one more realistic your re-entry starts at about 250 km, just the first step on the way to making Venus more real.

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Resize = 0.0942
	Rescale = 0.0942
	Atmosphere = 0.70
	dayLengthMultiplier = 0.250684453
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	landscape = 1
	atmoVisualEffect = 1
	resizeScatter = 1
	CustomSoISize = 0
	CustomRingSize = 1
	atmoASL = 1
	tempASL = 1
}
 //

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Titan]]
	{
		@PlanetDimensions[2] = 0.20
	}
}

// //

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Venus]]
	{
		@PlanetDimensions[2] = 2
	}
}

//

10 hours ago, lCristol said:

Done and done:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jc5bo10u0uyia6r/AABia63E8SAu5SDTE270JtZBa?dl=0

@selfish_meme If you test this and still have artifacts - especially those under 160000km at Earth - raise the experimentalAtmoScale in 0.1 steps I'll guarantee they'll vanish at some point. I just today had the same while testing.

I just tried your configs on windows and I'm getting this now IKxgpua.png

I haven't looked into the cause because I'm just beat after this week of class and I'm off to sleep.

I wont be able to do any updates or fixes this weekend starting tomorrow but ill be back Monday evening. sDaZe will hopefully get the update to you guys tomorrow.

I'll still be around on the forums though. Yall have a good weekend and stay safe

5 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

This will be a shock to the system, Venus's atmosphere is quite a lot thicker than Earths, if you make this one more realistic your re-entry starts at about 250 km, just the first step on the way to making Venus more real.

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Resize = 0.0942
	Rescale = 0.0942
	Atmosphere = 0.70
	dayLengthMultiplier = 0.250684453
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	landscape = 1
	atmoVisualEffect = 1
	resizeScatter = 1
	CustomSoISize = 0
	CustomRingSize = 1
	atmoASL = 1
	tempASL = 1
}
 //

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Titan]]
	{
		@PlanetDimensions[2] = 0.20
	}
}

// //

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Venus]]
	{
		@PlanetDimensions[2] = 2
	}
}

//

OOOHHH that sounds cool! @sDaZe try this out and if it works ( I trust it does @selfish_meme) include it in our DL!

Edited by Berlin

I've also got some updated clouds for Venus but they are scaled for the old atmosphere and this one is a lot bigger, there are some photos from the russian landers that give a good isea of what it looks like.

7 hours ago, Table said:

This is literally slowing my game to a halt, in terms of FPS.

I have a GTX 960, (ASUS Turbo Edition)

Also, how do I find output logs?

Not sure if you are having the same problem, but I just did a fresh install with only SSRSS and I noticed that the scatterer ocean shaders were causing massive fps lag (turning them off fixed it). I'm not sure if this is something to do with the new version of scatterer because I'm not getting the issue on my other install which has the old .245 scatterer. Anyway, you may want to try that

New clouds.cfg with Venus clouds

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6gbi4omighqaENpZ2tBRjhCSHM

14 minutes ago, mcdouble said:

Not sure if you are having the same problem, but I just did a fresh install with only SSRSS and I noticed that the scatterer ocean shaders were causing massive fps lag (turning them off fixed it). I'm not sure if this is something to do with the new version of scatterer because I'm not getting the issue on my other install which has the old .245 scatterer. Anyway, you may want to try that

I run a GTX 570 and if I can run it that is not his problem. I would suggest he

a. Makes sure he has the latest WHQL certified driver from nVidia installed and working correctly

b. Makes sure he is running KSP in 64 bit mode

c. Downloads a fresh install and only installs the mods needed for this.

My guess is he has 500 mods installed, I see him commenting all over in just about every mod thread

Edited by selfish_meme

7 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

The new radius should be almost exactly 600km and 6 hour rotation

I would veto this as I think it's very much fine with 637km and just 1/10th of Earth actual radius. 

But I would also like to add that 600km Earth radius in SSRSS should make things easier with scatterer configs since blackrack is also developing for Kerbin with 600km radius. So my work with the scatterer configs my be easier. But since this would only be true for Earth and not Venus, Mars, Jupiter ... jada jada ... I'm not sure it really matters. 

@Berlin That doesn't looks right. I had just the opportunity to test my OSX settings on my windows machine and everything looks fine. I have however updated the rimBlend = 180 rimpower = 500 settings like @sDaZe set them. I recognized that I can ignore them and the only values that really matter to eliminate artifacts on osx are Rt and RL relative to Rg and the experimentalAtmoScale. 

I can later test if experimentalAtmoScale of 2 was also enough on OSX to eliminate the artifacts then the settings look absolutely identical. Just with different Rg, Rt and RL values. 

Here are two shots: the first is of my windows machine with my - updated values (dropbox link is the same) - and the second of sDaZe's settings: 

EfkccUt.jpg

nqnfvV0.jpg

As - at least for me - these new settings work both on windows and osx it could be a standard implementatuion for you guys. But please let me first check if experimentalAtmoScale of 2 is also fine for OSX without causing artifacts again. (When I remember correct this should be the case and then both settings look identical - at least for earth so far) and work on both platforms) @Berlin Please redownload my settings as I made a mistake with the altitude config points which is now gone and reverted rimpower and rimblend to your settings.

*edit* 

here my main scatterer settings: 

O0jJduCg.png

*edit 2* 

Every rimblend and rimpower value updated with some suggestions from my side. Dropbox files are also updated.

Bonus Pic: my test craft going down on Saturn.

tUhyBEI.png

Edited by lCristol
main scatterer settings added

1 hour ago, lCristol said:

I would veto this as I think it's very much fine with 637km and just 1/10th of Earth actual radius. 

But I would also like to add that 600km Earth radius in SSRSS should make things easier with scatterer configs since blackrack is also developing for Kerbin with 600km radius. So my work with the scatterer configs my be easier. But since this would only be true for Earth and not Venus, Mars, Jupiter ... jada jada ... I'm not sure it really matters. 

@Berlin That doesn't looks right. I had just the opportunity to test my OSX settings on my windows machine and everything looks fine. I have however updated the rimBlend = 180 rimpower = 500 settings like @sDaZe set them. I recognized that I can ignore them and the only values that really matter to eliminate artifacts on osx are Rt and RL relative to Rg and the experimentalAtmoScale. 

I can later test if experimentalAtmoScale of 2 was also enough on OSX to eliminate the artifacts then the settings look absolutely identical. Just with different Rg, Rt and RL values. 

Here are two shots: the first is of my windows machine with my - updated values (dropbox link is the same) - and the second of sDaZe's settings: 

EfkccUt.jpg

nqnfvV0.jpg

As - at least for me - these new settings work both on windows and osx it could be a standard implementatuion for you guys. But please let me first check if experimentalAtmoScale of 2 is also fine for OSX without causing artifacts again. (When I remember correct this should be the case and then both settings look identical - at least for earth so far) and work on both platforms) @Berlin Please redownload my settings as I made a mistake with the altitude config points which is now gone and reverted rimpower and rimblend to your settings.

*edit* 

here my main scatterer settings: 

O0jJduCg.png

I don't enable eclipses because it's WIP and also EVE does eclipse shadows

I think if it is Stock Scale then Earth and Kerbin need to be the same size, the rest of the system then falls in behind them, also the scale affects not only Earth but all the planets and orbits, 37km here could be several thousand at Jupiter, but then 37km makes very little difference to me so I have no problem if they don't change it. To me it seems that the positives outweigh the negatives, but everyone has a different perspective.

I can't use your settings, it actually made my game refuse to start.

Edited by selfish_meme

20 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I don't enable eclipses because it's WIP and also EVE does eclipse shadows

I think if it is Stock Scale then Earth and Kerbin need to be the same size, the rest of the system then falls in behind them, also the scale affects not only Earth but all the planets and orbits, 37km here could be several thousand at Jupiter, but then 37km makes very little difference to me so I have no problem if they don't change it. To me it seems that the positives outweigh the negatives, but everyone has a different perspective.

I can't use your settings, it actually made my game refuse to start.

You should really have a look at the eclipses of scatterer in stock ksp. EVE looks nothing like that. Blackrack is indeed stating them as WIP but they have a much better look then what EVE has to offer for eclipses. But that's just like my opinion, man. 

OK I could get along with your argumentation about resizing. I would then just need to adjust the values to the new radius of the planets, but I think this should now get along very much faster than before. 

Please just redownload my settings, as I cant imagine why they should block your startup. I have tested them on OSX and Windows. Both very much fine and I have just updated them again. Are you on Linux with OpenGL?

Also if it loads and you still have those artifacts I talked about some post before, please raise experimentalAtmoScale in 0.1 steps until they are gone and post the value where the disappear.

Edited by lCristol
link yo

In my opinion the current size maybe is not perfectly right but it add a little challenge to everything. Have Earth at the same size of Kerbin it's not so important than maintain the stock balance and this mod does exactly that. 

On a side (and much less important) note, resizing the system again will break every save started with the current size. However this is a WIP so who use it must accept it.

2 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

In my opinion the current size maybe is not perfectly right but it add a little challenge to everything. Have Earth at the same size of Kerbin it's not so important than maintain the stock balance and this mod does exactly that. 

On a side (and much less important) note, resizing the system again will break every save started with the current size. However this is a WIP so who use it must accept it.

I used it on my save and have not noticed any game breaking, I had 10 probes, landers and ships spread throughout the system, mostly the planets will shrink so orbits will be slightly further out and landed ships are still landed

11 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

I used it on my save and have not noticed any game breaking, I had 10 probes, landers and ships spread throughout the system, mostly the planets will shrink so orbits will be slightly further out and landed ships are still landed

Sure, but probes in interplanetary space need to tweak the trajectories again or they'll miss the encounter. But, as said before, this is not important at all.

The difficulty with the current size of the system is down the line. Once people start to put together Delta-v charts as well as other information, it will become difficult to do with the awkward 5 hour, 59 minute, 1 second day. Making it 6 hours exactly makes it much much better.

44 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

The difficulty with the current size of the system is down the line. Once people start to put together Delta-v charts as well as other information, it will become difficult to do with the awkward 5 hour, 59 minute, 1 second day. Making it 6 hours exactly makes it much much better.

I haven't thought of that yeah. Makes sense.

I keep getting a black screen on launch.  As far as I can tell I've followed all of the instructions for installation.. but I can't seem to find anyone else having this problem

http://imgur.com/zuNk8Cy here is what I see

http://imgur.com/pnBMsaO that is what my game data folder looks like.

Edit1: I added RSS from CKAN and it appears to be working now.  Any idea why that would be?

Edited by GamerLevelDad
Updated results.

2 hours ago, pap1723 said:

Making an Earth-day exactly 6 hours may be the only reason I can see to modify the actual settings. I don't know if modifying the rotacional period would need to resize everything, but I think that resizing the whole system just to match the exact same size of Kerbin is pointless.

6 minutes ago, scdr91 said:

Making an Earth-day exactly 6 hours may be the only reason I can see to modify the actual settings. I don't know if modifying the rotacional period would need to resize everything, but I think that resizing the whole system just to match the exact same size of Kerbin is pointless.

The time is seperate from the size, it could be either or both, but the rescale factor is systemwide so it even affects the orbits of the planets.

5 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

The time is seperate from the size, it could be either or both, but the rescale factor is systemwide so it even affects the orbits of the planets.

If one changes, shouldn't we change both? I am asking for the way physics works, I actually don't know.

1 hour ago, GamerLevelDad said:

I keep getting a black screen on launch.  As far as I can tell I've followed all of the instructions for installation.. but I can't seem to find anyone else having this problem

http://imgur.com/zuNk8Cy here is what I see

http://imgur.com/pnBMsaO that is what my game data folder looks like.

Edit1: I added RSS from CKAN and it appears to be working now.  Any idea why that would be?

If you get the infinite loading screen it's because you didn't download the rss texture pack.  Delete the RSS you downloaded via ckan as its already included in the ssrss folder.  Just download the RSS textures and it should work.  All the steps are in the README

12 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I tried running your config, the download had two of everything, was a bit confusing, but it crashed my game

Please delete everything in your scatterer config folder, then download the entire folder I provided with the link (Download upper right corner) and paste the files in the download in your config folder. There is only one active config but each "planet" folder (e.g. Earth, Venus, ...) contains the backup of the standard SSRSS scatterer configs as "SettingsBackup.cfg". However scatterer just loads the "Settings.cfg". Don't delete anything else except the files in "/GameData/scatterer/config/". I don't really know what could possibly have went wrong, cause I just tested it again on OS X and it works fine. 

@all It looks like the configs for Windows and OS X could possibly be the same. But I absolutely need the experimentalAtmoScale 1.9 for my OS X system with 1.8 I still have artifacts. I not set it to 2 so it looks like the "stock" SSRSS config. Venus needs 2.5 and Mars 2.2.

The remaining planets and moons are still OK. I'll update my list and the download one more time. And I think this should be it. 

Edited by lCristol

3 minutes ago, Berlin said:

If you get the infinite loading screen it's because you didn't download the rss texture pack.  Delete the RSS you downloaded via ckan as its already included in the ssrss folder.  Just download the RSS textures and it should work.  All the steps are in the README

"You need to download two things for this mod to work, they are as follows: 
https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/releases
https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Dimensions/tree/Development
Drag and drop those and everything included in this folder into your gamedata."

Thats the readme and what I followed, if you note the 2nd screenshot of my gamedata dir I have the RSS texture package...I see now after doing the ckan install that you need to choose one, sadly the SSRSS provided readme is not sufficient for someone who's never touched RSS to know how it works.  If i get time i'll try to post a more thorough install steps 

21 minutes ago, GamerLevelDad said:

"You need to download two things for this mod to work, they are as follows: 
https://github.com/KSP-RO/RSS-Textures/releases
https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Dimensions/tree/Development
Drag and drop those and everything included in this folder into your gamedata."

Thats the readme and what I followed, if you note the 2nd screenshot of my gamedata dir I have the RSS texture package...I see now after doing the ckan install that you need to choose one, sadly the SSRSS provided readme is not sufficient for someone who's never touched RSS to know how it works.  If i get time i'll try to post a more thorough install steps 

Your link is correct but you only need to download one of the folders named "2048", "4096" or "8192". I recommend 4096. It looks like you downloaded something else because your folder is named "RSS-Textures-10.4" although the newest version is 10.6

The folder you need to put into GameDate is then named "RSS-Textures".

*edit*

After reading your comment again, I'm a little bit confused. Were you using CKAN? If so, just don't!

Download from the exact link you posted.

Edited by lCristol
ckan confusion

28 minutes ago, lCristol said:

Your link is correct but you only need to download one of the folders named "2048", "4096" or "8192". I recommend 4096. It looks like you downloaded something else because your folder is named "RSS-Textures-10.4" although the newest version is 10.6

The folder you need to put into GameDate is then named "RSS-Textures".

*edit*

After reading your comment again, I'm a little bit confused. Were you using CKAN? If so, just don't!

Download from the exact link you posted.

I only used CKAN to get RSS when I realized the problem was likely related to the RSS mod.  This way I could see a known good RSS.

And that's my point, as someone who has no clue how RSS works or what the diff is between 2048, 4096 or 8192 in this context.  If SSRSS is going to redist RSS then it should either include whatever RSS mod instructions there are OR specify, download one of the provided texture packs.

It's like sending someone this link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html to download Java and leaving it there.  (Yes Java is an extreme case)

tl;dr

I'll remove RSS that I got from CKAN and follow the new instructions

This is now my final config (this time I mean it :wink: ) -> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vvh5355ulc48l7l/AABPJXXQmQJTpiMEt-y3emTGa?dl=0

Those are the included values (Stock planets just for comparison):

CCq56m1.png

The orange field were filled in by me in the settings, the blue were only there to indicate to me wtf they were doing and how they correlated. 

And here some pics from Triton and Pluto to show that the flickering is indeed gone, when you visit them:

x8kCuN1.jpg

sdWqVrJ.jpg