[WIP] [1.2.1] [2.0.4] Stock Size Real Solar System

sDaZe

I just noticed something else that doesn't work quite right with the way things have been rescaled.  Although Charon is set to be tidally locked to Pluto, Pluto is not tidally locked to Charon.  This is because Pluto's rotation period doesn't match Charon's new orbital period.  Assuming we want to keep the mass and dimensions of the Pluto-Charon system as they are, the easiest solution is to change Pluto's sidereal rotation period.  If it's possible to change this parameter, I think this would fix it:  rotationPeriod = 174791.289816996.

Both Pluto and Charon have an initialRotation parameter.  This parameter probably needs to be adjusted to make sure that the bodies have the correct hemispheres facing each other.  That part I haven't figured out.

Edited by OhioBob
Fixed error in rotation period.

2 hours ago, pap1723 said:

OhioBob knows his stuff!

I have created a new Biome map that includes all of the Earth's real biomes. There are a couple of new ones added. Would anyone be interested in the file?

Biomes:

• Ice Caps
  • Tundra
  • Taiga (Boreal Forest)
  • Forest (Temperate Forest)
  • Grasslands
  • Mountains
  • Tropics
  • Savanna
  • Chaparral
  • Desert
  • Shores
  • Water

Let me know and I'll post a link.

yes i would like the biomes please

8 hours ago, Bev7787 said:

Never mind just tested: It works now. Apparently I deleted a vital folder in Sigma Dimensions... Yeah. Now for the scatterer issue. It seems to appear at 28km and its visible in map view and tracking station. I think its something to do with the atmosphere rescale.

Please Test my settings. I made a download at page 33. Please follow my instructions there. It is definitely a Problem with scatterer OpenGL and ssrss. However it should be completely fine with my settings.

You guys/gals are amazing! Now RSS can really be RSS :wink:.

BTW, you can use the scatterer configs with RSS and they work just fine. Some small scatterer artifacts here and there (if you are observing a body from afar) and Venus is a bit greenish (from up close) but everything else works perfectly.

Keep it up!

13 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Alternatively, I like the idea of changing the gravitational parameter of the Sun so that the orbital periods of all the planets are equal to 1/4th of their real life values.  This would make the orbital periods of the planets in the game equal to their real life orbital periods when measured in days.  In the game it would be 6-hour days and in real life 24-hour days.  Therefore, we would have Mercury's period equal to 88 days, Venus 225 days, Earth 365 days, and so on. ...

... One drawback of this idea is that, because it increases the mass of the Sun, it will require more delta-v to travel between planets.  That might outweigh the convenience of having a familiar 365-day year.

I've been playing around with the numbers and it looks like the increase in Δv is rather significant.  For a spacecraft orbiting the Sun, any change in orbit will require a 26% increase in Δv.  I also estimated at how much the Δv would change for an ejection burn from LEO.  This can vary a lot, but for a Hohmann transfer to Mars, I estimate that an extra 75 m/s would be needed.  That's not too bad, but for a Hohmann transfer to Jupiter the number jumps to about an additional 500 m/s.

As much as I like the idea of having a 365-day Earth year, I'm reconsidering it.  I think the extra Δv is too great and needlessly increases the game difficulty.

12 hours ago, Bev7787 said:

Never mind just tested: It works now. Apparently I deleted a vital folder in Sigma Dimensions... Yeah. Now for the scatterer issue. It seems to appear at 28km and its visible in map view and tracking station. I think its something to do with the atmosphere rescale.

We talked about the issue a few pages ago, it seems a scatterer issue with OpenGL try changing experimentalAtmoScale by .1 till it dissapaers

I just learned something I did not know.  KSP computes orbital periods taking into account the mass of both the primary and secondary bodies.  For some reason I was under the impression that, for simplification, it used just the primary body.  Perhaps it does that for spacecraft (since the spacecraft's mass is negligible), but that's clearly not true for planetary bodies.  It is especially obvious in the Pluto-Charon system.  It looks like I'm going to have to go back and take a another look at some of my calculations.

15 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I just learned something I did not know.  KSP computes orbital periods taking into account the mass of both the primary and secondary bodies.  For some reason I was under the impression that, for simplification, it used just the primary body.  Perhaps it does that for spacecraft (since the spacecraft's mass is negligible), but that's clearly not true for planetary bodies.  It is especially obvious in the Pluto-Charon system.  It looks like I'm going to have to go back and take a another look at some of my calculations.

If you use my rescale factors does it work better

SigmaDimensions
{
	Resize = 0.0942
	Rescale = 0.0942
	Atmosphere = 0.70
	dayLengthMultiplier = 0.250684453
}

On 5/13/2016 at 2:22 AM, lCristol said:

*edit 2* 

Every rimblend and rimpower value updated with some suggestions from my side. Dropbox files are also updated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jc5bo10u0uyia6r/AABia63E8SAu5SDTE270JtZBa?dl=0

Bonus Pic: my test craft going down on Saturn.

Link didnt work? 

On 5/13/2016 at 10:38 AM, lCristol said:

This is now my final config (this time I mean it :wink: ) -> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vvh5355ulc48l7l/AABPJXXQmQJTpiMEt-y3emTGa?dl=0

Those are the included values (Stock planets just for comparison):

CCq56m1.png

The orange field were filled in by me in the settings, the blue were only there to indicate to me wtf they were doing and how they correlated. 

And here some pics from Triton and Pluto to show that the flickering is indeed gone, when you visit them:

Will test all of this and include it in the download. 

I think I have some of this figured out.

If you want to change Earth's solar day to exactly six hours, then add the following to GameData/Settings.cfg.

@Kopernicus:BEFORE[SigDim2]:NEEDS[SigDim]
{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Kerbin]]
	{
		@PlanetDimensions[3] = 0.250142477247968
	}
}

(For some reason Earth's internal name is "Kerbin".  Don't ask me why.)

If you want to change Pluto's rotation so that it is tidally lock with Charon, add the following to GameData/Settings.cfg.

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Pluto]]
	{
		@PlanetDimensions[3] = 0.316227766016838
	}
}

And if you want to make the length of each planet's year equal to its real life number of days, then add the following to GameData/Settings.cfg.

{
	@Body:HAS[#name[Sun]]
	{
		@PlanetDimensions[4] = 1.59668824903153
	}
}

Beware, however, that the above will increase interplanetary delta-v requirements.  Also be advised that if the third change is made, do not make the first change.  Changing the length of year will also fix the solar day.

32 minutes ago, sDaZe said:

Woah, mind if we include this in the download?

Please do! I am going to try and see if I can make it a little more accurate. It doesn't translate perfectly when it is so small comparatively to the large normal maps and texture files. Same issue as the regular biome map as well.

Will all these nice tweaks of the users here become implemented in the Mod?

Or, is there a major re-release of this Mod around the corner?

I am not very experienced with maintaining and updating mods, sorry, but I still want to get into this lovely creation.

Thank you

Daf

Edited by Dafni

11 hours ago, Dafni said:

Will all these nice tweaks of the users here become implemented in the Mod?

Or, is there a major re-release of this Mod around the corner?

I am not very experienced with maintaining and updating mods, sorry, but I still want to get into this lovely creation.

Thank you

Daf

Currently really, really busy. I've been working on the mod just not that much, kinda waiting for @Berlin to get home so he can make sure everythings good. 

30 minutes ago, sDaZe said:

Currently really, really busy. I've been working on the mod just not that much, kinda waiting for @Berlin to get home so he can make sure everythings good. 

Don't worry, take your time :)

1 hour ago, sDaZe said:

I'll be home tonight! I will do my best to go over everything over the next few days and hopefully we can get a substantial update out

1 hour ago, Berlin said:

I'll be home tonight! I will do my best to go over everything over the next few days and hopefully we can get a substantial update out

Good :D

Edited by sDaZe

Ohhh.. Landing on Pluto's Tombaugh Regio and Charon anyone? 

And some beauty pics :D 

Heres a pic of my upcoming trailer thing for the mod :D 

aGBPksm.jpg

PQ3YsK2.jpg

Edited by sDaZe