[WIP] [1.2.1] [2.0.4] Stock Size Real Solar System

sDaZe

12 minutes ago, Phocks said:

Has anyone done a stock size version of  RSS Planets & Moons expanded?

I feel the game is missing something without the asteroid belt planetoid(s).

Have you tried loading the game with it installed? It should work 

55 minutes ago, sDaZe said:

Have you tried loading the game with it installed? It should work 

Not yet, but wouldn't the planets be RSS scale? Or am I misunderstanding how 'stock size RRS' works?

Just now, Phocks said:

Not yet, but wouldn't the planets be RSS scale? Or am I misunderstanding how 'stock size RRS' works?

Sigma Dimensions should rescale it to "stock size"

9 minutes ago, Berlin said:

Wow, that's great news!! I'll try that tomorrow and report back! If someone wants to try it use the new one since the old mod has not been updated yet.

1 minute ago, frostsid said:

Wow, that's great news!! I'll try that tomorrow and report back! If someone wants to try it use the new one since the old mod has not been updated yet.

12 minutes ago, Berlin said:

Cool, I'll try it out when I get home tonight. Thanks guys

Hi again, I'm somewhat new to landing on planets and I want to recreate the Venera-13 mission and land on Venus. Are there any planet temperatures that I should worry about or not? Do I need radiators n stuff?

46 minutes ago, rad said:

Hi again, I'm somewhat new to landing on planets and I want to recreate the Venera-13 mission and land on Venus. Are there any planet temperatures that I should worry about or not? Do I need radiators n stuff?

I just crushed a probe on Venus. Radiators aren't so important, heatshield sand parachutes yes, a lot. You'll meet a ground level Atmo pressure for Earth at more than 50 km. The ground level pressure for Venus is 60 greater than Earth, so many times worst than Eve. You'll need a huge heatshield to brake in the high atmosphere and parachutes to land. I would like to know if it possible to come back from Venus at all, with that pressure.

29 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

I just crushed a probe on Venus. Radiators aren't so important, heatshield sand parachutes yes, a lot. You'll meet a ground level Atmo pressure for Earth at more than 50 km. The ground level pressure for Venus is 60 greater than Earth, so many times worst than Eve. You'll need a huge heatshield to brake in the high atmosphere and parachutes to land. I would like to know if it possible to come back from Venus at all, with that pressure.

What would happen if I tried to land using retropropulsion? Already did that on Mars. I'd drop the heatshield off after my velocity goes below 500 or something.

23 minutes ago, rad said:

What would happen if I tried to land using retropropulsion? Already did that on Mars. I'd drop the heatshield off after my velocity goes below 500 or something.

I tried a powered landing, but due to the high pressure, the fuel flow was stopped at something under 20 km. It was a very good probe with a high TWR (2.30).

12 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

I tried a powered landing, but due to the high pressure, the fuel flow was stopped at something under 20 km. It was a very good probe with a high TWR (2.30).

Fuel flow stopping because of high pressure? Is that in stock KSP or not?

Edited by rad

I just landed a probe on Phobos and Deimos. I had not a suicide burn, but a hard push to stai in contact with the terrain. With the rescale, these two moon are so tiny that when you think to land you will bump in space instead. It would be possible to make them miss the rescale?

Spoiler

Yw3aJOX.jpg

Spoiler

PAwMd0J.jpg

4 hours ago, rad said:

Fuel flow stopping because of high pressure? Is that in stock KSP or not?

All engines in KSP have a specific impulse vs. pressure curve.  At some point the specific impulse goes to zero and the engine will stop producing thrust.  All the stock engines go to zero long before ever reaching the surface of Venus.

31 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

All engines in KSP have a specific impulse vs. pressure curve.  At some point the specific impulse goes to zero and the engine will stop producing thrust.  All the stock engines go to zero long before ever reaching the surface of Venus.

Yep, can confirm, did a landing on Venus last night and could not get any thrust out of engine. On the other hand terminal velocity was 15ms.

Ok so I tested Real Solar System Expanded with this and I can say it works :D

Here are some pics, I didn't take pics of every single new body because wow.. There are a lot!

So I would suggest you guys post a link for this mod on the OP as a recommended mod or something.

8 minutes ago, frostsid said:

Ok so I tested Real Solar System Expanded with this and I can say it works :D

Here are some pics, I didn't take pics of every single new body because wow.. There are a lot!

So I would suggest you guys post a link for this mod on the OP as a recommended mod or something.

Can you detail how you got it working? Last night I tried adding it to my existing game and deleted the koperincus cache, but the extra bodies weren't added.
I then tried a separate install in a different folder with just RSS, RSS expanded and SSRSS (and dependencies), and RSSE worked, but it was in RSS scale, not stock scale.

I can't seem to get the combination of RSSE and SSRSS to work.

12 minutes ago, Phocks said:

Can you detail how you got it working? Last night I tried adding it to my existing game and deleted the koperincus cache, but the extra bodies weren't added.
I then tried a separate install in a different folder with just RSS, RSS expanded and SSRSS (and dependencies), and RSSE worked, but it was in RSS scale, not stock scale.

I tried this on a clean install, I just dropped the stuff of SSRSS into the Gamedata folder, the RSS textures and the dev version of Sigma dimensions. Then dropped the content of RSSE and Sigma binary.

Like this

EDIT: I used the Kopernicus folder provided with SSRSS only.

Edited by frostsid

58 minutes ago, Phocks said:

Don't install RSS, that will conflict with SSRSS, also you probably need Simga Dimensions and the settings.cfg from SSRSS in your game folder

3 hours ago, Phocks said:

If all else fails, what I would recommend doing is to not install RSSE, but rather merge the RSSE files into the SSRSS folders.  That is, install SSRSS by itself and then do the following:

Merge the contents of RSSExpansion into GameData/SSRSS/RSSKopernicus/

Merge the contents of RSSEx-Textures into GameData/RSS-Textures/

Edited by OhioBob

I have a question I hope can be answered.

Firstly - this is a great mod, it is great expansion for the above casual ksp gamer.  I have only been playing for a year and know my way around the game, but I am no expert to the inner working of what a mod does or the magic that you all do.

If I have a current stock career and there are no flights, can I use that persist file in a SSRSS build?