[WIP] [1.2.1] [2.0.4] Stock Size Real Solar System

sDaZe

Just now, ExiledViking said:

Sure I can try that… I had been testing so many mods and noticed a similar effect to the issue scdr91 raised, so I thought I'd share the news. Anything specific cache wise?

Just guessing about the Steam Cache Control, maybe installing and updating many mods (like I do) ruined something on KSP.

8 minutes ago, Berlin said:

Yeah thanks for bringing that up. I don't think a single visual enhancement mod has ever done this. thanks for the help!

@sDaZe and I talked about another thing on Reddit, Ganymede and Europa have thin Oxygen atmospheres, and a glow, plus Ganymede has a magnetosphere so also has Auroras, from Wikipedia

The airglow observed over Ganymede is not spatially homogeneous like that over Europa. HST observed two bright spots located in the northern and southern hemispheres, near ± 50° latitude, which is exactly the boundary between the open and closed field lines of the Ganymedian magnetosphere (see below).[70] The bright spots are probably polar auroras, caused by plasma precipitation along the open field lines.[71]

24 minutes ago, scdr91 said:

Probably caused by FAR.

But, in any case, without FAR, I've gotten re-entry effects from 150km orbit and 40km apo at 25k height, which is fairly later than stock, I don't know but it feels like it's harder to trigger the re-entry effects. I'm gonna try different re-entry profiles to ensure I'm getting the right re-entry effects

Reinstalling FAR manually seems to have solved the issue. I still think that re-entry effects trigger quite late, when much of the heating has happened (and some RCS thrusters have alredy exploded). But it doesn't seem to have any relation with this mod so... so far so good

26 minutes ago, scdr91 said:

Probably caused by FAR.

But, in any case, without FAR, I've gotten re-entry effects from 150km orbit and 40km apo at 25k height, which is fairly later than stock, I don't know but it feels like it's harder to trigger the re-entry effects. I'm gonna try different re-entry profiles to ensure I'm getting the right re-entry effects

25km here too for effects without FAR, but that's about the right height if I'm not mistaken? I agree they do seem less than stock with FAR.

7 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

@sDaZe and I talked about another thing on Reddit, Ganymede and Europa have thin Oxygen atmospheres, and a glow, plus Ganymede has a magnetosphere so also has Auroras, from Wikipedia

yeah we talked too and we decided to wait and tackle the big issues. to put atmospheres on those moons is an easy thing to do. its just scatterer configs and I think we have become pretty proficient at it by now lol

5 minutes ago, styckx said:

I start getting my reentry affects at 30k.. I think in stock it was more around 38k (ish)

Yes, with FAR you'll meet the denser atmosphere later, but I don't feel it wrong and it works... I tried many hard reentry, from Munar orbit or Interplanetary space and the results were right. Explosions when it's right and powered landing too.

Reentry FX aren't controlled by FAR, those are set by the stock game based on the current velocity and air density.  As for them being stronger without FAR, that makes sense since stock KSP greatly underestimates the drag for blunt reentry vehicles.  All the behavior here sounds about right, and if these planets are actually Kerbin-sized with Kerbin-scale atmospheres then it should be exactly the same as reentering in the stock game.

Just now, ferram4 said:

Reentry FX aren't controlled by FAR, those are set by the stock game based on the current velocity and air density.  As for them being stronger without FAR, that makes sense since stock KSP greatly underestimates the drag for blunt reentry vehicles.  All the behavior here sounds about right, and if these planets are actually Kerbin-sized with Kerbin-scale atmospheres then it should be exactly the same as reentering in the stock game.

Well. It isn't exactly Kerbin-Scale atmospheres. Space "begins" at 98k w/ SSRSS.. So it's a bit further out than stock

Just now, ferram4 said:

Thank you really much! I felt it right, but hearing this from you it's much much more.

Is it supposed to look like this even with SVE Ultra, and scatterer (your configs)? I did all the steps/

It looks like there's no scatterer or SVE Ultra. Just normal EVE

5467D22797693D94EF269587D3EAA3B3C822859F

Just now, Table said:

Is it supposed to look like this even with SVE Ultra, and scatterer (your configs)? I did all the steps/

yes. there is no scatterer effect in the tracking station. SVE is there

2 minutes ago, Table said:

The Scatterer effects are disabled from Map View and Tracking Station.

EDIT: Ninja'd LOL

Edited by Nansuchao

1 minute ago, _Krieger_ said:

The atmosphere of Titan and that of some gas giants have flickering edges, and some planets have an atmosphere ring with a hard edge around them.

Are you running in an OpenGL environment? Because the hard edge around planets was solved yesterday but persists in OpenGL environments and not much the devs can do about that

Just now, styckx said:

Are you running in an OpenGL environment? Because the hard edge around planets was solved yesterday but persists in OpenGL environments and not much the devs can do about that

Yeah I'm on Mac, but thanks for the response anyway.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Table said:

Hmm, currently getting around 9 FPS with this

I had a similar issue. Did you have a Nvidia Graphic Card? If yes, try to reinstall from scratch the drivers. it worked for me.

2 minutes ago, _Krieger_ said:

Yeah I'm on Mac, but thanks for the response anyway.

Cheers

There may be a patch for OpenGL users.. One of the guys in the thread is going to every planet and configuring Scatterer to rid of the rings around planets under OpenGL..  It's an OpenGL issue unfortunately. 

You could for now just delete Scatterer

Edited by styckx

Just now, Nansuchao said:

I had a similar issue. Did you have a Nvidia Graphic Card? If yes, try to reinstall from scratch the drivers. it worked for me.

I have an ASUS GTX-960 Turbo edition, so install the drivers again?

Just now, styckx said:

There may be a patch for OpenGL users.. One of the guys in the thread is going to every planet and configuring Scatterer to rid of the rings around planets under OpenGL..  It's an OpenGL issue unfortunately. 

Great! Look forward to it.

Just now, Nansuchao said:

I don't know, in your case, but usually a clean install helps someway.

Hmm, so no other mods?

I don't think I can play KSP like that D: