[WIP] [1.2.1] [2.0.4] Stock Size Real Solar System

sDaZe

I was thinking of giving this mod set a whirl, but I don't want to "lose" my current playthrough.

I figured the sensible option would be to:

1. Create a directory called RSSdependencies someplace outside GameData, and download all the sub-directories needed for this mod.

2. Whenever I want to play with RSS, copy paste the sub-directories from that "storage" folder into Game Data

3. Whenever I want to play NOT with RSS, delete those sub-directories from Game Data.

Seem viable? Or are there lots of files from Squad or other widely used directories that get overwritten?

That does not seem to be the case with very many mods for this game, but I thought it wise to inquire.

1 hour ago, Diche Bach said:

I was thinking of giving this mod set a whirl, but I don't want to "lose" my current playthrough.

I figured the sensible option would be to:

1. Create a directory called RSSdependencies someplace outside GameData, and download all the sub-directories needed for this mod.

2. Whenever I want to play with RSS, copy paste the sub-directories from that "storage" folder into Game Data

3. Whenever I want to play NOT with RSS, delete those sub-directories from Game Data.

Seem viable? Or are there lots of files from Squad or other widely used directories that get overwritten?

That does not seem to be the case with very many mods for this game, but I thought it wise to inquire.

The easier way is to copy/paste your KSP directory somewhere else. Usually I have not less than three installs on my pc, for testing purpose and other things.

3 hours ago, winproof said:

nice!

if i understand correctly, SSRSS only change planets/textures for matching solar system, right?

no change in biomes/ body names?

no problem with contract style "go to duna"?

There are changes in biome names. And contracts, example. Go to Duna, would be in kerbol system, but it will actually say goto Mars or flyby Mars etc.

10 hours ago, Duski said:

There are changes in biome names. And contracts, example. Go to Duna, would be in kerbol system, but it will actually say goto Mars or flyby Mars etc.

Oh hold on now . . . Is this mod different from "Real Solar System?"

I was under the impression RSS basically took the content in KSP and: 1. turned it all into its real solar system equivalents, AND 2. increased the scales/changed thus placing the required delta-Vs, velocities etc., close to real life equivalents?

Just now, Diche Bach said:

I was under the impression RSS basically took the content in KSP and: 1. turned it all into its real solar system equivalents, AND 2. increased the scales/changed thus placing the required delta-Vs, velocities etc., close to real life equivalents?

It's a much better looking rss that is scaled back down to stock sizes

1 minute ago, Diche Bach said:

It's a much better looking rss that is scaled back down to stock size

2 minutes ago, _Krieger_ said:

Are the different sizes still planned or have they been dropped?

The Half size RSS has already been made and the full size visuals for rss are at a stand still atm. I am doing a lot at the moment with other projects and can't seem to allocate time to it recently

Just now, Galileo said:

The Half size RSS has already been made and the full size visuals for rss are at a stand still atm. I am doing a lot at the moment with other projects and can't seem to allocate time to it recently

Cool, take your time, I know how it is when you have a lot going on, keep up the great work!

Cheers

2 hours ago, Diche Bach said:

Yes it does turn all of it into the RSS equivalents. Delta-V size and all that. Contracts get effected too by saying the RSS planets when playing on RSS. And yes this mod is different from RSS, this is RSS turned down into kerbin scale.

1 hour ago, Sakima said:

Any suggestions on a mod that is compatible to have different launch sites? I would like one that is more similar to the KSP launch location but on the Earth.  :P

KSC Switcher 

Thanks guys! In summary:

1. SSRSS (Stock Sized Real Solar System) = real "Sol" solar system "content" (Earth instead of Kerbin, Venus instead of Eve, etc.), but with everything retaining the scaling from the vanilla game, i.e., Earth scaled the same size as Kerbin (600km radius), Sol scaled the same size as Kerbol, Venus scaled the same size as Eve, etc.

Thus,

2. SSRSS = playing SSRSS is pretty much just like playing vanilla KSP (from the standpoint of ship designs, required dVs, transfer schedulces, travel times, logistics, communications-ranges, etc.) except that everything is renamed to realworld equivalents and looks good.

3. RSS = same as above _except_

a. Doesn't look as good, and 

b. All the scales of everything are increased to reflect realworld volumes, masses, energy and distances? The result being: the Karman Line is at  . . . 100km instead of 70km, Earth has a radius of ~6,300km instead of 600km (Kerbin-sized), escape velocity is 11.86kms instead of 2.74km/s (Kerbin requirement), etc.?

So, does RSS actually "work?" It would seem like upping all the celestial objects in the game to realworld sizes (generally about a whole order of magnitude?) would be an incredibly complicated task from the standpoint of changing all the parts (engine thrust, tank volumes, etc., etc), and I was surprised to hear that such a mod (supposedly) existed at all. 

Yeah, that is what the name implies :wink:

Btw: I play RSS sometimes and have made my own patch to change thrust and ISP on engines so it is possible to use stock parts in a real scaled system. You don't need to use RO to play RSS.

Edited by Jimbodiah

10 hours ago, Diche Bach said:

Thanks guys! In summary:

1. SSRSS (Stock Sized Real Solar System) = real "Sol" solar system "content" (Earth instead of Kerbin, Venus instead of Eve, etc.), but with everything retaining the scaling from the vanilla game, i.e., Earth scaled the same size as Kerbin (600km radius), Sol scaled the same size as Kerbol, Venus scaled the same size as Eve, etc.

Thus,

2. SSRSS = playing SSRSS is pretty much just like playing vanilla KSP (from the standpoint of ship designs, required dVs, transfer schedulces, travel times, logistics, communications-ranges, etc.) except that everything is renamed to realworld equivalents and looks good.

3. RSS = same as above _except_

a. Doesn't look as good, and 

b. All the scales of everything are increased to reflect realworld volumes, masses, energy and distances? The result being: the Karman Line is at  . . . 100km instead of 70km, Earth has a radius of ~6,300km instead of 600km (Kerbin-sized), escape velocity is 11.86kms instead of 2.74km/s (Kerbin requirement), etc.?

So, does RSS actually "work?" It would seem like upping all the celestial objects in the game to realworld sizes (generally about a whole order of magnitude?) would be an incredibly complicated task from the standpoint of changing all the parts (engine thrust, tank volumes, etc., etc), and I was surprised to hear that such a mod (supposedly) existed at all. 

Well yea it does work, but as you said engine thrust and tank volumes and all that, there's a mod called RO (Realism Overhaul) which have the raw power to get your things into a low orbit or wherever. I personally like RSS when in low orbit of a body because I just like the view. Not that I have played RSS but I see this kind of perspective from the ISS live feeds across youtube. :) 

Yeah, the scale of earth is really nice compared to Kerbin that looks like a small moon already at 300km, this is my biggest gripe with the small scale systems. Maybe a full scale earth with 1/10 gravity would be a solution :) Also the rockets look better as they don't look like short cartoon versions, but actual real-life proportioned rockets because of the increased need for fuel. I'm actually thinking about making a patch to nerf ISP so I need bigger tanks in SSRSS :)

NB: RO is a whole bunch of mods that each change and aspect of KSP to make it behave like the real world. It's quite complicated and more meant to turn KSP into an actual space craft simulator. Personally I like the SSRSS setup with planets in the same plane, as this keeps the simple KSP game design but still let's you explore the real solar system. I like launching ships, but don't have the patience to figure out when I can launch so it will not take me 300% extra fuel to rendezvous. :cool:

Okay so I have tried t install it multiple times but, keep getting a black screen with nothing on it after the startup loading. Here is my Log & GameData .

Please inform me if I installed it wrong somehow, and yes I have read the instructions lol. :(

i need help for correct install :

Keep opening the subfolders until you are inside the GameData folder where you see all the actual pices of the mod DistanObject, Koprnicus, etc...
Copy all those files and folders into your KSP GameData folder (the place you installed the game to) except PICK WHAT SVE YOU WANT IN HERE, Better Rss Textures and RSS-Textures, you come back to those later.

no "DistantObject" folder and no "Better Rss Texture" folder???

"PICK WHAT SVE YOU WANT IN HERE" folder not in gamedata folder but in parent folder....

can someone provide me a correct step by step install instruction?

2 hours ago, Happy said:

Hey sDaZe  

My atmosphere is 85km kerbin has some value in Sigma Dimensions should I put ?? ps : the size of the planets is right

if you just use the settings.cfg it should change everything you need..

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 10:22 AM, Diche Bach said:

You don't have to go the full blown RO (Realism Overhaul) route to make RSS playable.  There's a mod (just a single file really) called ROMini.cfg that factors all the stock parts (as well as any part mods that you have installed) to give them realistic dimensions, masses, mass ratios, etc.  For instance, the propellant mass fraction of fuel tanks is greatly improved over the 8/9 ratio used in stock.  This allows you to get the higher delta-v needed to play RSS while using stock parts.  There's also another mod called SMURFF that does something similar, though I haven't used it.

If you want to try out RSS, I'd recommend that you first try it with ROMini or SMURFF before you heavily mod your installation with all the RO stuff.  That will give you a chance to figure if you like it or not before moving on to the next step.