1.1.2 even less stable than prerelease

nosirrbro

Playing stock, I've had no issues with 1.1.2, none whatsoever, Even when adding mods, the game has been quite stable. It was not until I started adding in big, complex, parts mods, like Interstellar, and BlueDog, that the random VAB crashes started occurring. I think it has to do with the architecture of Unity in 64 bit..I don't think there is much Squad can do about it, unfortunately.

For those having issues with crashes, I recommend suffering through it for a while. Just do random stuff to put the game through the paces, and if it crashes, restart and keep going. 

I initially was put off playing because of 1.1.2 crashing on me constantly for no reason, but today I decided to just play it anyway, and the more I played it the more the crashes stopped, where now I'm able to play for up to several hours at a time rather than only a few minutes. 

Why this is I can't say, but its worth a shot. Another thing to do is to try and avoid the potential causes of the crashes already indicated in this thread, such as having floating parts in the Editor and then grabbing new parts. Another thing I recommend is to not go too fast in the editor as well. I noticed more game time becoming available when I slowed down a bit and didn't push the game too hard while in the VAB. 

modded like crazy no crashes here only strangeness is in craft files I've downloaded that are massively clipped or using modified stock parts. An old craft file of my own was causing the loss of the cameras lock on the  center of mass until I found the bugged part and replaced it in the vab. ie all the bugs I've experienced so far have been more or less user error.

It's strange, but I was getting non-stop CTDs in 1.1 (like every 5 minutes, the game was unplayable!), but since 1.1.1 I haven't crashed once, yet everyone seems to have the opposite observation.  In my experience 1.1.2 is the most stable yet.

Edited by Alshain

I've had one single CTD since 1.1 was released (Probably since 1.0 or before) and it was this past weekend. It was when I staged engines and a confetti fairing in the same stage. I had over a dozen mods installed, so loaded up the stock game and tried to recreate it to no avail. And other than that one issue, pretty much everything about 1.1.2 is better than every other version before it, hands down.

I never seem to be in the "majority," and so this is no different. Put me in the "minority" of KSP players who seem to be having far less problems now than before.

1 hour ago, KerBlammo said:

I installed 1.1.2 yesterday evening.  It crashed when I yet again encountered from the docking-causes-your-space-station-to-fall-out-of-the-sky bug.  

I've been getting that alot, especially when KJR is installed. Happens less without it but still a problem. Just leave as fast as possible then hyperedit

Edited by nosirrbro

4 hours ago, G'th said:

For those having issues with crashes, I recommend suffering through it for a while. Just do random stuff to put the game through the paces, and if it crashes, restart and keep going. 

I initially was put off playing because of 1.1.2 crashing on me constantly for no reason, but today I decided to just play it anyway, and the more I played it the more the crashes stopped, where now I'm able to play for up to several hours at a time rather than only a few minutes. 

Why this is I can't say, but its worth a shot. Another thing to do is to try and avoid the potential causes of the crashes already indicated in this thread, such as having floating parts in the Editor and then grabbing new parts. Another thing I recommend is to not go too fast in the editor as well. I noticed more game time becoming available when I slowed down a bit and didn't push the game too hard while in the VAB. 

Still looking for some suggestions on what to avoid for staging crashes. I can't seem to find any common thread. It's happened on some really simple rockets, too. But then some 300 part behemoth will claw its way into Kerbol orbit through five stages and not have any issues at all.

21m11.20s thats how long i got to play this time. KAS/KIS updated. MechJeb current, Proc Fairings? Current as well. Novapunch? Tiberion is still working on the mod for its update, but has been relatively stable since KSP 1.0.2. What was I doing? Why working in the VAB of course! Attaching sepratrons to a lifter in fact. Repeatable steps? heck if I know, this crashing bs is beyond random. Sometimes I get 5 minutes of game time while others more than 2 hours, but the consistent constant? Its updated to 1.1.X KSP. Sorry, not stable. Nearly Unplayable. Impressed? Why yes! By the HUGE downturn in stability. Output log? Sure! Right here: http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog_10

If this was not so bloody ridiculous id be laughing. This time? 6m32.74s!!!! That my friends, is not time in game, that is time from double click the short cut to crash. Ignore the above link, as this replaces it: http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog_11 And I was trying to recover the lost work from the prior crash... Here goes again!

Edited by AlamoVampire
Another crash, less than 10 minutes after the first post! look out, more coming!

Yo, people! Perhaps I found something. I have an NVIDIA card and I started playing with the settings. First, I set the KSP settings to optimum in the "Games" section of the card controls. Then, I altered the 3D settings for all functions so the PhysX goes to the video card and not "Auto." Then, I went back to KSP and toned down the settings so I got decent performance with OK frame rates and no "time dilation" (clock runs slow).

No more crash to desktop. The problem may have to do with the the way PhysX is handled in Unity 5 rather than anything in KSP per se. BUT I AM GUESSING. I am sure there are people with far more knowledge than me. I am just an old-time computer guy who knows how to goose things until they seem to work.

2 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

21m11.20s thats how long i got to play this time. KAS/KIS updated. MechJeb current, Proc Fairings? Current as well. Novapunch? Tiberion is still working on the mod for its update, but has been relatively stable since KSP 1.0.2. What was I doing? Why working in the VAB of course! Attaching sepratrons to a lifter in fact. Repeatable steps? heck if I know, this crashing bs is beyond random. Sometimes I get 5 minutes of game time while others more than 2 hours, but the consistent constant? Its updated to 1.1.X KSP. Sorry, not stable. Nearly Unplayable. Impressed? Why yes! By the HUGE downturn in stability. Output log? Sure! Right here: http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog_10

If this was not so bloody ridiculous id be laughing. This time? 6m32.74s!!!! That my friends, is not time in game, that is time from double click the short cut to crash. Ignore the above link, as this replaces it: http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog_11 And I was trying to recover the lost work from the prior crash... Here goes again!

I know it sounds like I'm trying to defer responsibility, but from your log file:

Environment Info
Win32NT 7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF  Args: KSP_x64.exe 

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
Modulefixer v1.0.0.0
KAS v0.5.7.0 / v0.5.7 for KSP 1.1
MiniAVC v1.0.3.1
KSPDev_Utils v0.10.3.0 / v0.10.3 for KSP v1.1
KIS v1.2.8.0 / v1.2.8 for KSP 1.1
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
MechJeb2 v2.5.1.0 / v / v2.5.7.0
ProceduralFairings v0.0.0.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.33
Stock assembly: SaveUpgradePipeline.Scripts v1.0.0.2 / v1.0.0.21
Stock assembly: Steamworks.NET v8.0.0.0 / v8.0.0

Folders and files in GameData:
AsteroidDay
GameData
KAS
KIS
MechJeb2
NovaPunch2
ProceduralFairings
Stock folder: Squad

Modulefixer.dll
readme.txt
toolbar-settings.dat

Please run KSP without any mods whatsoever to confirm the issue. I know for a fact that for example Asteroid Day hasn't been updated for 1.1 yet. Running mods, especially outdated ones, can cause crashes and we need to exclude that possible cause. The type of crash at the end of the log indicates that another program is interfering with KSP. We've seen a lot of these error messages due to for example antivirus software. Do the crashes also remain when you close all other programs on your computer? Do they occur when you run the 32 bit version of KSP?

I'm sorry you're experiencing issues, but if you want them resolved please post in the support forum or send an email to [email protected] - this is not the place.

once windows gained 64 bit support and i figured out that i needed to place the 64 bit shortcut out, ive only run that. but, yes, the 32 bit crashed on me as well, but that log is lost to time. as for other programs running, none are active openly that i am aware of at least. sometimes malware bytes crops up yelling at me to update its database, but, that USUALLY happens right after turning the machine on prior to game launch. Oh and @KasperVld i have exactly 5 minutes of coding education when my ex gf who has her bachelors in programming thought it would be cute to try teach me to code, so, that log file may well be written in sandscrit as it makes exactly as much sense to me as english does to a gerbil. All i DO know of coding is this: code is a touchy thing, one change to a single character can have major effects. thats my extent :( 

Edited by AlamoVampire

2 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

once windows gained 64 bit support and i figured out that i needed to place the 64 bit shortcut out, ive only run that. but, yes, the 32 bit crashed on me as well, but that log is lost to time. as for other programs running, none are active openly that i am aware of at least. sometimes malware bytes crops up yelling at me to update its database, but, that USUALLY happens right after turning the machine on prior to game launch. 

Antivirus and antimalware software can be very intrusive on programs they don't trust, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend turning them off while connected to the internet I'd say try disconnecting from the internet and turning them off, then run KSP again. Does removing the mods help in any way?

Edit: this is the last post on this topic that I'll write here, as this is not a support thread.

On 30 April 2016 at 8:16 PM, 5thHorseman said:

This is why I copy everything from the Steam directory to another directory with every update. I do it first, before playing.

I've got copies from before 1.0 that I've not loaded in a year or more.

That's a good reason for buying  directly from squad and not from Steam...

I have several versions installed on my PC and I am still playing on 1.0.4 since 1.0.5 had speed problems with my computers and both 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 are broken as it regards rovers. Maybe I can fix it when Hyperedit is compatible with these versions, until then 1.0.4...

3 hours ago, KasperVld said:

Antivirus and antimalware software can be very intrusive on programs they don't trust, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend turning them off while connected to the internet I'd say try disconnecting from the internet and turning them off, then run KSP again. Does removing the mods help in any way?

In my experience there's some kinds of software that often cause 'strange' malfunctions in other programs.

• Antivirus/antimalware that features 'live monitoring'.
  • GPU optimizers, both official and 3:rd-party, that monitors performance and adjust settings on the fly.
  • Memory/CPU optimizers (if that's even still a thing).
  • Download/network managers/optimizers (including <expletive> browser toolbars/helpers.
  • VPN/Tunneling (like Hamachi) or unused but not inactivated network adapters (firewire/wifi/vlan).

Back in years long yonder when I did (volunteer) tech support this was the first things I looked for when trying to solve/trace bugs/crashes that wasn't easy to reproduce.

I find the PhysX solution quite feasible. I mean, these crashes never happen randomly as such. They happen when performing a random action such as attaching a part or docking a craft. There's got to be an action or actions that are triggering this, and probably they were added in 1.1.2

19 hours ago, KasperVld said:

Edit: this is the last post on this topic that I'll write here, as this is not a support thread.

I still have no CTD after playing for a couple of hours and tweaking the video card and PhysX setting. I appreciate staff at least hanging out and listening as it might provide clues to solutions.

On 5/4/2016 at 8:39 PM, ansaman said:

I still have no CTD after playing for a couple of hours and tweaking the video card and PhysX setting. I appreciate staff at least hanging out and listening as it might provide clues to solutions.

What exactly did you do with the video settings? I tried changing the PhysX setting... no dice, still regular CTDs. What mods are you running?

14 hours ago, Bloodbunny said:

What exactly did you do with the video settings? I tried changing the PhysX setting... no dice, still regular CTDs. What mods are you running?

I may have spoken too soon. I still got CTDs. If you read news online (Google News search for Kerbal Space Program) I am not sure there are not bigger problems coming.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.