You`re Solar System/Galaxies Ideas

Planetace

You ever have that feeling, when you want to create a world or two... or three... or two hundred... And you  want to share it to everyone. Well now you can! In this Discussion, you can share you`re ideas for a solar system, or two, or even a galaxy! Even if its VERY unlikely or crazy! So just go wild and create a massive system and name it, add descriptions, add history, heck even create an entire ecosystem for you`re planets, its you`re choice. No matter how crazy it is, we will be stunned by you`re creativity (in a good way as well.) Any previously created planets/systems/galaxies are also welcome. As long as you credit who made it or its from you`re heart.    

So have fun creating you`re universes :wink:

Edited by Planetace

From an old roleplaying group I was in, a few of us worked together on the system with myself leading.

http://facebooknations.wikia.com/wiki/Rocan%C3%A1-%C4%81-Megha

And we have a few planet renders.

Wesson: http://fineartamerica.com/featured/2-artists-concept-of-an-extraterrestrial-frieso-hoevelkamp.html

Abdimant (storm-clouded) was my work. Habitable world with distinctive red vegetation, as has been hypothesised for worlds orbiting blue stars. The continuous equatorial ocean generates strong storm, though I don't know if this is realistic. It rotates just over twice as fast as Earth, and I devised a suitable civil time system for Earthling colonists, in which each civil day takes in two local solar days.

Spoiler

Abdimant Civil Time is a time system intended for general and business purposes in the tropical and temperature regions of Abdimant, designed to preserve elements of Earth's time system while following Abdimant's day-night cycle. (Polar regions of Abdimant of course will not have a normal day-night cycle, and may wish to simply follow Earth time, though no Nation's territory is solely polar.)

The second, minute, and hour are all as on Earth. The seven-day week is also kept, so businesses can use existing practice.

Adbimant's rotation period of 41510.2 seconds, or 11 hours 31 minutes 50.2 seconds, is clearly too short for species used to Earth's 24-hour day to adapt to. Therefore, the normal civil day is 23 hours, corresponding to two rotations of the planet. In contrast to Earth, days start at mean sunset.

The true duration of two rotations is 3 minutes 40.4 seconds longer. Therefore, leap quarters, extra periods of 15 minutes placed from 23:00 to 23:15, are inserted to keep the clock synchronised with the day-night cycle. Twelve leap quarters are required per 7 weeks, and they are placed as follows:

Week 1: Sunday
Week 2: Sunday, Tuesday
Week 3: Sunday, Tuesday
Week 4: Sunday, Tuesday
Week 5: Sunday
Week 6: Sunday, Tuesday
Week 7: Sunday, Tuesday

The days are kept the same for consistency, and to place the leap quarters where they are expected to be most appreciated (the nights before Monday and Wednesday).

The remaining error is 0.4 seconds per 49 days, or 15 minutes in 300 Earth years.

The render isn't great, I just put a different colourscheme on the heightmap and then used that as the planet texture in Celestia. But it does the job.

Abdimant

Map: https://flic.kr/p/GJMfgZ

Monier. https://flic.kr/p/GJM2gR

I don't know the source of the Monier image, it was found lying by the side of the internet.

I'll belt out some worldbuilding threads that I'm not particularly attached to:

1. Inhabited planet/large moon that becomes captured into the liquid-water zone of a brown dwarf passing through the solar system, by extraordinary fortune. It's far enough away from its new sun that much of its surface freezes, save for a band roughly across the tropics and equator. Large-scale extinction/environmental disruption occurs additionally due to redness of the new light source.

2. A rogue planetary body with large concentrations of uranium salts readily accessible in the crust. Without visible-UV spectrum light from a sun to power photosynthesis, life arises in the sea in the form of chemosynthetic and thermosynthetic organisms and eventually finds its way to uranium (or maybe it starts here). Lifeforms eventually evolve to sequester uranium into a shielded chamber and apparatus constructed via gradual deposits, a sort of "coral reef" reactor. Heat generated in this way fosters a variety of thermosynthetic organisms who dig into the outer walls of the nuclear reef, taking advantage of the thermal gradient between the reef and the flowing water around it. I assume this is a super-Earth.

3. Life arises from self-organizing dust structures in plasma in space orbiting a rogue planet, forming an ecosystem-belt (maybe sphere?) that encircles the world below. I assume a rogue planet here because it seems like a place where dust might be more efficiently collected together, hence possibly a denser and more vibrant ecosystem of inorganic life than in interplanetary/interstellar space; and because I am not sure if a sun would disrupt the disparate lifeforms.

8 hours ago, cantab said:

From an old roleplaying group I was in, a few of us worked together on the system with myself leading.

http://facebooknations.wikia.com/wiki/Rocan%C3%A1-%C4%81-Megha

And we have a few planet renders.

Wesson: http://fineartamerica.com/featured/2-artists-concept-of-an-extraterrestrial-frieso-hoevelkamp.html

Abdimant (storm-clouded) was my work. Habitable world with distinctive red vegetation, as has been hypothesised for worlds orbiting blue stars. The continuous equatorial ocean generates strong storm, though I don't know if this is realistic. It rotates just over twice as fast as Earth, and I devised a suitable civil time system for Earthling colonists, in which each civil day takes in two local solar days.

Reveal hidden contents

Abdimant Civil Time is a time system intended for general and business purposes in the tropical and temperature regions of Abdimant, designed to preserve elements of Earth's time system while following Abdimant's day-night cycle. (Polar regions of Abdimant of course will not have a normal day-night cycle, and may wish to simply follow Earth time, though no Nation's territory is solely polar.)

The second, minute, and hour are all as on Earth. The seven-day week is also kept, so businesses can use existing practice.

Adbimant's rotation period of 41510.2 seconds, or 11 hours 31 minutes 50.2 seconds, is clearly too short for species used to Earth's 24-hour day to adapt to. Therefore, the normal civil day is 23 hours, corresponding to two rotations of the planet. In contrast to Earth, days start at mean sunset.

The true duration of two rotations is 3 minutes 40.4 seconds longer. Therefore, leap quarters, extra periods of 15 minutes placed from 23:00 to 23:15, are inserted to keep the clock synchronised with the day-night cycle. Twelve leap quarters are required per 7 weeks, and they are placed as follows:

Week 1: Sunday
Week 2: Sunday, Tuesday
Week 3: Sunday, Tuesday
Week 4: Sunday, Tuesday
Week 5: Sunday
Week 6: Sunday, Tuesday
Week 7: Sunday, Tuesday

The days are kept the same for consistency, and to place the leap quarters where they are expected to be most appreciated (the nights before Monday and Wednesday).

The remaining error is 0.4 seconds per 49 days, or 15 minutes in 300 Earth years.

The render isn't great, I just put a different colourscheme on the heightmap and then used that as the planet texture in Celestia. But it does the job.

Abdimant

Map: https://flic.kr/p/GJMfgZ

Monier. https://flic.kr/p/GJM2gR

I don't know the source of the Monier image, it was found lying by the side of the internet.

7 hours ago, Accelerando said:

I'll belt out some worldbuilding threads that I'm not particularly attached to:

1. Inhabited planet/large moon that becomes captured into the liquid-water zone of a brown dwarf passing through the solar system, by extraordinary fortune. It's far enough away from its new sun that much of its surface freezes, save for a band roughly across the tropics and equator. Large-scale extinction/environmental disruption occurs additionally due to redness of the new light source.

2. A rogue planetary body with large concentrations of uranium salts readily accessible in the crust. Without visible-UV spectrum light from a sun to power photosynthesis, life arises in the sea in the form of chemosynthetic and thermosynthetic organisms and eventually finds its way to uranium (or maybe it starts here). Lifeforms eventually evolve to sequester uranium into a shielded chamber and apparatus constructed via gradual deposits, a sort of "coral reef" reactor. Heat generated in this way fosters a variety of thermosynthetic organisms who dig into the outer walls of the nuclear reef, taking advantage of the thermal gradient between the reef and the flowing water around it. I assume this is a super-Earth.

3. Life arises from self-organizing dust structures in plasma in space orbiting a rogue planet, forming an ecosystem-belt (maybe sphere?) that encircles the world below. I assume a rogue planet here because it seems like a place where dust might be more efficiently collected together, hence possibly a denser and more vibrant ecosystem of inorganic life than in interplanetary/interstellar space; and because I am not sure if a sun would disrupt the disparate lifeforms.

Amazing ideas! These planet ideazs have some very interesting properties and settings! A world with an orbiting ecosystem, and a world created in the past called Abdimant with history and an entire established ecosystem! brilliant!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.