Tracking station vessel renaming gone?

Kaa253

This came up in the Grand 1.1 thread but I cannot locate the answer to the question anywhere. Did the ability to rename vessels in the tracking station get removed? I am unable to find it in 1.1.2. It was possible to do before by clicking on the vessel name in the Info window.

I often made use of this feature to do things like redesignate a probe as a lander after a successful touch down.

A somewhat related question; I cannot find a changes log for KSP version upgrade 1.0.5 to 1.1? Was there one (or more if the pre-release builds had them)?

Its always been done on the actual vessel command part in flight and not the tracking station as far as I know.
Maybe you had a mod?

Tracking station renaming would be super useful though.

21 minutes ago, T.A.P.O.R. said:

Its always been done on the actual vessel command part in flight and not the tracking station as far as I know.
Maybe you had a mod?

Tracking station renaming would be super useful though.

You're late for the party its been there even before 0.90. Looks like the new UI has broken the feature.

I can confirm that it worked in 1.1.1 and stopped working in 1.1.2 for me as well.

2etaJmP.png

Edited by Enceos

1 hour ago, Enceos said:

You're late for the party its been there even before 0.90. Looks like the new UI has broken the feature.

I can confirm that it worked in 1.1.1 and stopped working in 1.1.2 for me as well.

2etaJmP.png

I guess I got used to not having it (.23.5) early on and never noticed the feature becoming enabled/existing.:blush:

Yeah, I raised this in the 1.1 thread when I noticed it didn't work anymore, and as I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere I wondered if it was removed or just broken.  It's one of those small things that's surprisingly useful, it helps a lot with the difficult task of keeping the tracking station organised..  Hopefully it will get resurrected in some form before long.

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

Yeah, I raised this in the 1.1 thread when I noticed it didn't work anymore, and as I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere I wondered if it was removed or just broken.  It's one of those small things that's surprisingly useful, it helps a lot with the difficult task of keeping the tracking station organised..  Hopefully it will get resurrected in some form before long.

Don't worry, I don't think they would intentionally remove it unless they had no other choice.

It's probably related to the change that prevents EVA Kerbals from being renamed.

(Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by BUGS EVERYWHERE;lkdjsafjdsfkajd)

I'd like to see this feature or something similar fixed/added back. I loved the ability to rename/reclass multiple vessels in a quick fashion. This is especially important when launching larger satellite networks (RemoteTech is the most awesome mod). I may need to adjust the naming scheme on 10+ satellites, or decommission an entire ring of satellites and loading each satellite individually is slow,tedious and cumbersome. 

Anybody know of any mods that let you rename/reclass vessels in the mean time?

6 hours ago, Renegrade said:

Don't worry, I don't think they would intentionally remove it unless they had no other choice.

It's probably related to the change that prevents EVA Kerbals from being renamed.

(Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by BUGS EVERYWHERE;lkdjsafjdsfkajd)

I agree there, I really don't think it was removed "just because".  I'm sure it's because it either just didn't work after the U5 change and got overlooked or left out due to bigger issues, or there's a reason why it can't be made to work easily.  Never mind, it's not a huge deal overall, just slightly inconvenient difference between this version and earlier ones. 

When you modify a big chunk of code, the chances of broking something are huge. You have hundreds of variables roaming around and a single typo can have totally unforeseen consequences. The only remedy is a lot of testing. So when you see a feature suddenly broken, there are 99,5% chances it wasn't intentional :wink:

Then it's like cleaning a room : you're more likely to miss the dust that settles in hidden corners, under furnitures and so on... I guess that's what happened there :P

1 hour ago, NathanKell said:

I mentioned in the other thread, yeah, I goofed. == instead of !=

Was this related to the Kerbal naming?  So we can rename Kerbals but ships lol?

No worries, happens to all of us from time to time.  At least it wasn't = instead of ==.

I too can confirm that this was available in 1.1.1 but is not functional in 1.1.2, although with the above dev post it feels a little pointless now...

Here's to the imminent release of 1.1.3! ('Course with my luck it'll come out in six months)

52 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

It was to fix that one could trigger that on Kerbal EVAs and on Flags (both of which would break the game in...interesting ways).

Uhoh..renaming flags is a bad idea?  :S

I tend to call flags "Mun <biome>" instead of "<actual celestial body> <biome>".  Bad habit from when the Mun was the only extra-kerbin place with biomes :)

"Mun Greater Flats"... oops

6 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

The problem is the rename dialog allows you to change vessel type. You could change the flag to be of type ship.

Oh oops, that's a good point.  I do hope renaming flags eventually does come back, as I do make that mistake still and usually fix it via the tracking center..

By the way, kudos on the U4->U5 upgrade.  I know how much work it can be and how many issues can crop up from going from one major API/library/middleware/whatever to another.   There's been some bumps and are still some outstanding issues (argh physx integrator issue!), but it's been much smoother than I expected.