how do you make engines in ksp using unity and blender

so i have been modding kerbalspaceprogram for a while now but one thing i don't understand  is how you make engines.

when i try i make the model and texture it in blender and then i go to unity and add the collision mesh then i make the part-config

when i test it in ksp the model,  texture and collision mesh work but the engine doesnt when i throttel up nothing happens.

anyone know why.

It's fairly simple. Maybe I should make a simple tutorial on making engines. Lots of stuff in mod development links but sometimes it makes it hard for beginners.

What you need are:

Holder (for exporting it to .mu, just an empty gameobject you can insert from unity)
 -3D engine modle in unity
 -node_collider (I don't think it should be named this way but...)
 -thrustTransform (which is an empty GameObject in Unity, you can add it) note: z-axis is where thrust goes, so you point it opposite where you want your craft to go

thrustTransform is what makes the engine an engine so that's what you're missing.

Edit: I wasn't finished yet. Misentered :P

Now I'll edit for some more things to add in unity:

You can add your nozzle or anything that you want to move when you gimbal the engine under thrustTransform in the unity tree.
Example: 
Holder
>3dmodel
>node_collider
>thrustTransform
>>nozzle

you can have more than one thrustTransforms; you can also add multiple transforms you just need to indicate the Transform name in the config.

Edited by blackheart612

21 hours ago, fusedbean89 said:

so i have been modding kerbalspaceprogram for a while now but one thing i don't understand  is how you make engines.

when i try i make the model and texture it in blender and then i go to unity and add the collision mesh then i make the part-config

when i test it in ksp the model,  texture and collision mesh work but the engine doesnt when i throttel up nothing happens.

anyone know why.

@fusedbean89to be simple and concisely answer your question, you need to make an an empty game object in unity as a child of the part-tools object. For simplicities sake name it "thrustTranform".  Rotate it so that the Z-Axis (blue one) points in the intended direction of thrust and position it so that it is at the intended position of said thrust. Then in your .cfg file in the moduleEnginesFX module set:

thrustVectorTransformName = thrustTransform

if u need anything explained in further detail don't hesitate to at mention me

EDIT:

If you want part of your engine to rotate with the thrust when the engine gimballs, then set the object as a child of the thrustTransform object.

Edited by robot_rover

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.