Incorrect velocity vector shown on map.

So I'm seeing this bug while using an airplane where the vector shown on the map is actually quite different from where I'm actually heading, as shown on the screenshot below.. Haven't noticed it with spaceships so far, but I haven't made many since 1.1 yet. Also doesn't always seem to happen. I suspect something triggers it. I've seen the actual vector off by as much as 90 degrees.

PXxKujU.jpg

Mods used:

• Crowd Sourced Science
  • Engine Lighting
  • Kopernicus Planetery System Modifier
  • Module Manager
  • Planetshine
  • Real Plume
  • Stock Visual Enhancements
  • Mouse Aim Flight

Currently running the 1.1.2 stable build.

I think the last mod is closest to be the culprit since it actually does things with your controls, but I have no conslusive reason why it would mess with the map view. I'll leave a copy of this post in his mod thread, just to be sure. Mod author mentioned Mouse Aim Flight doesn't really affect anything like that.

Edited by Tricky14

That is not a surface based line, it's an orbital one.  That's why there is a difference in it and the direction you are actually going across the surface.  It doesn't take the rotation of the planet into account.

^ This.

Remember you have a "base" orbital velocity of about XXXm/s (random number here, I don't remember at all). Click on the velocity display on the navball to switch to orbital, and your prograde indicator will show the same thing as the navball.

Just now, Gaarst said:

^ This.

Remember you have a "base" orbital velocity of about XXXm/s (random number here, I don't remember at all). Click on the velocity display on the navball to switch to orbital, and your prograde indicator will show the same thing as the navball.

The base orbital velocity is the rotation of the planet based on where you are, for a ksc launch it is 175m/s on a heading of 90. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.