OBS Problems

Sharkman Briton

So I use Open Broadcast Software for videos, and it doesn't work on alot of things. Monitor capture only makes the video move when I have the OBS tab open, Game capture doesn't work for KSP, and I can't use Monitor capture for it, and I'm not entirely sure that Window capture works either. It says high encoding on this stuff. I've tried raising the bitrate by loads but to no avail.

What should I do to record KSP with OBS? Or what do you people use to record KSP?

I use OBS, but not on this computer. Take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'll try and remember. For high encoding, I did a variety of things: I used the x264 encoder that I think comes with OBS. Then, I set the encoder to encode faster at the loss of some quality (I raised it to... ultrafast? I think?) I also went into the Task Manager and raised OBS's processing priority a level or two, so the computer devotes more resources to it. I'm not sure why it won't let you record KSP, it works on mine. OBS also has a live webchat with users and developers here.

I don't have OBS anymore, since I uninstalled everything with Windows 10. In terms of video quality, OBS is mainly oriented toward steaming, and the quality options reflect that. In one of the tabs, there is a dialogue box for special commands, and one of them can be used to get much better picture quality. I think you'll have to good for it, but it was something like mrf=# (any number from 1-20, with 1 being highest quality. To keep videos at a reasonable size, you'll probably want to stay someplace from 12-14).

As far as the actual capture, does it work for any other games? If not, have you tried watching someone on youtube show how to set it up correctly? I ask because if you're just trying to wing it, OBS has a very neat system for selecting what you capture, but it's only obvious if you already know how it works. The capture system is again very much built around streaming, so it has a lot of options for overlays, and setting up multiuple different captures that you prepare ahead of time and switch on the fly.

The other option, if you want to deal with something a bit simpler, is to use ShadownPlay (Nvidia), or Plays.tv (AMD), depending on what graphics card you have (strictly speaking, Plays.tv works on both brands, but it's intended for AMD, and will run worse than ShadowPlay on Nvidia cards). Both programs use the GPU as the encoder, instead of the CPU (GPU's are better structured for this), which could be particularly beneficial for a game like KSP which is very CPU intense (conversely, OBS will probably perform better in a game that taxes the GPU but not your CPU).

Also as a side recomendation, it's a good idea to not record to the same hard drive your games are on. KSP isn't a huge deal, since it loads everything when it starts anyway, but recording should be done to a disk that isn't used by anything else so that you don't have write conflicts, especially with a game that might try to read a large block of data while the hard drive is busy writing your footage (leading to problems with the recording, or very slow loading screens in game).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.