Ksp Price increase?

Should KSP Stay Free?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Should ksp continue to update for free?

• Yes
    • No

I'd say the current price is a fair price for how big of a game it is. IMO updates should be included, as they are intended to "polish" the released game. However, I imagine when they call the game "finished" they will do DLC packages for a fee.

In my opinion, they should fix all the bugs and polish the game before they do paid DLC or expansions. The problem is, they keep throwing in new features in each update. Honestly, I'd be completely happy if they fixed bugs and polished existing features and call that complete.

But in the current state, it should continue to be the same price.

Charging people for updates will destroy a lot of goodwill. Each and every update solves a few bugs but introduces several new ones. And on occasion a few old ones as well. People will not accept paying for buggy software over and over again.
If an update would absolutely guaranteed fix ALL bugs and ALL memory issues I might be willing to pay a few bucks for it. And I emphasize 'a few', not nearly close to the current full prize. If I would have to pay full prize again I'd rather go pirate.

Edited by Tex_NL

If the game was finished, like something you could buy complete with polish, I would be okay buying "Monsters of Eve" expansion pack. But until career, tech, and clouds are complete, the answer is definitely no. Life support, no. Any "basic" things... Things that a Kerbal should be able to do (like run a hose between craft) should be considered part of the original "contract" if you will. "Mysteries of the Mohovian Robots" I will gladly pay for.

Edited by Pax Kerbana

Updates are stated to be free for all users who ever bought the game. Possible expansion packs will be free to anyone who bought the game before end April 2013.

This post explains the things about expansion packs. And I'm sure there is something in the EULA/ToS that explicitely states that updates are free, but I don't speak Legalese so I can't decypher these.

If I did not already own KSP, I'd be more than happy to pay $20 more than what the game currently costs. I really appreciate the free updates, and of course I prefer the updates to be free, but I would not hesitate for a second to pay for an update if Squad decided to do a giant update (basically a KSP 2.0).

Well Squad needs money. It is a business after all. If it gets to the point where cost of producing updates is more than the income produced by new games being purchased then they will have two options. Stop making updates or charge for them. And if it comes to that point I will gladly pay for updates.

First of all KSP still has a lot of work to be a nice polished game, as far as I'm concerned it is still in beta.  Even if that is just fixing the problems and adding no new features, though I really thing the visual polish (clouds etc) should have been in the game before release too.

Second, I'm not a fan of DLC.  Little bite sized pieces of game that don't really add all that much for $3 is just a way to nickel and dime consumers into thinking they are getting something, when they really aren't.  Traditional expansion packs are fine as they add much more content, sequels are fine, but DLC, no.   I tend to not buy games that have DLC, or in some cases I just don't buy the DLC (in cases where it is truly irrelevant) or I wait for a all inclusive pack (like the Batman series).  However waiting hurts the bottom line.  If enough people do that, they are getting cheaper versions of an older game rather than buying on release day.  That isn't ideal for the company.  At the end of the day, game companies need to realize DLC is not their friend.

Edited by Alshain

Right now the game is still missing a lot of features.  Modding is great, but the game shouldn't be so heavily reliant on mods for basic features.

Once the game is in a more complete state I think most people would be happy to pay for a decently sized expansion pack.

Hopefully the next update will include some of those missing features, now that the big engine overhaul is done.

1 hour ago, Jhawk1099 said:

Well Squad needs money. It is a business after all. If it gets to the point where cost of producing updates is more than the income produced by new games being purchased then they will have two options. Stop making updates or charge for them. And if it comes to that point I will gladly pay for updates.

The future. You build. Load out to the Launch Pad. Get set. Hit 'Space bar'. and....

You gotta watch a 30 second ad.

2 minutes ago, NikkyD said:

Nobody wonders when someone with 3 posts asks such an odd question ?!

It strikes me as odd...very, very odd.

Especially since he's been curiously silent thus far in the thread and has also not stated an opinion of his own.

Squad member in disguise?

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

I have used some moderation tools to check into it, that is not a Squad member in disguise. (Why would they even do such a thing? Don't answer that, it's rhetorical.) In the past when they wanted to raise the price they just raised the price.

1 hour ago, Brofessional said:

Right now the game is still missing a lot of features.  Modding is great, but the game shouldn't be so heavily reliant on mods for basic features.

Once the game is in a more complete state I think most people would be happy to pay for a decently sized expansion pack.

Hopefully the next update will include some of those missing features, now that the big engine overhaul is done.

Er, what?  The only major "feature" that is obviously missing is the ability to create maneuver nodes from the launchpad.  I haven't played with the "rocket building" UI to find out if that was sufficiently re-vamped (it is probably the biggest reason for rage-quitting in the game) along with the rest of the UI (while I admit that not having to hit a spinning UI clickie is huge, the spacecraft assembly is my biggest UI peeve).

Even if they changed the game however it would take to allow maneuver nodes from the launchpad, I wouldn't expect it to really be in the game, more likely a dev-designed mod.  Squad's vision of KSP tends to be one of "trial and explosion" instead of the  more engineering style who like knowing their delta-v in advance.  With a maneuver node tied to a countdown (big UI change to do that, especially to change the T=0 time) you could plan the entire mission in advance, presumably making mechjeb following a pre-programmed flight, and eventually taking the player completely out of the pilot's chair.  It might be NASA, but it wouldn't be [Squad's vision of] kerbal.

But I would download and play that way (possibly without mechjeb, but with the pre-planned burns).

17 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I've got an even better idea!

Let's go Free2Play and have micro transactions.

"Do you want to time warp? Only 99 cents per minute!"

You monster.......

I love the idea behind the 1.1 update.  Improve the base engine and fix all the bugs.  I think squad should leave additional content to the modders.  I kind of disagree with how squad is hiring modders as I would prefer that they simply give modders a "cut" or contract them to continue to update their mods as versions update thus officially supporting great mods.  I would like to see more squad support for great mods but I am not sure the best way to go around with this.

37 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I've got an even better idea!

Let's go Free2Play and have micro transactions.

"Do you want to time warp? Only 99 cents per minute!"

Abandon KSP and introduce KSP 2 - the mobile version, filled with day one DLCs and microtransactions.

Oh god please no

"Advanced Engines Pack: Instantly unlock the new N07-0P Engine, the adjustable size engine! At 1.25M, it has 2000KN thrust and uses 0.001 per second of the new OPropellant resource, which comes in a convenient container which weighs 0.0001 milligrams (including fuel) and contains 999999 OPropellant!"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.