Kerbin Geographical society

Rath

I finally made it to the mouth of the river and although the area is quite large and hard to really tell if it is an enormous impact site there were some smaller craters to be found.

Refuel and away we go.

B5F8D5E14B31E7DD613D7249370DF934A1E43731

Large area indeed.

C6589B9CC04DF56458AF5B870D4057652DECF57B

6143740790A3EEF91B30EE49258BED46B2777583

BB296BE6C4F7DFF65E40AECD67E00EAF35054964

The other smaller craters, starting with qa small heart shaped one. Its right above my nav ball.

7A40420F59F4102EBE1812E45D5D54457FA40D13.

And this one in the next few pics.

E92A6F1BE552C3064E98C5469586C75C8DA7BCCF

41F19A3ECF27EB178E4802255A3D539470D53416

1 hour ago, WellItExplodedAgain said:

What mods do you use @Bigbootie?

Chatterer

Distant Object Enhancement

EVE

KAS

Kerbal Engineer

KIS

Planetary Base Inc

Planetshine

Real Plume

SCANsat

Scatterer

Smokescreen

SVE

Surface Lights

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Edited by Bigbootie
Didnt finish adding stuff

I wonder how Hawaii ended up near Africa in ksp... (Booster bay islands near the ksc)

Also, not really Kerbin, but I didn't have a better place to put it, so it's here. Has anyone noticed that if you rotate the ksp wiki's picture of Eve 90 degrees clockwise, the big ocean above the huge crater looks like Alaska? Just noticed it.

Continued the island survey as posted earlier by @Snikersnee

I did find proof of a few volcanoes, not on the islands but very near them. I used a modified version of River Runner with a Panther engine for fuel efficiency, man is this thing slow.

rLRAE89.png

Using the above photo as reference I started at the Top Left yellow circle. The island to the right (below pic) is possibly volcano with the land formation on the left is definitely, in my opinion, volcanic.

8EADF9A583778B281147686B6D42317519708D8C

Island pics.

FA7B7C2AEE09991CB5C500782545F9A5333FCFAD

CBECBA72548A2824AEEDB1A378F29C14A6CA69A0

I then flew across to find the islands in the Upper Right yellow circle since I already surveyed the middle ones previously. Darkness fell on the way there so I landed on the mainland and spent the night. With daytime visibility I found two volcanoes on the mainland.

E0175AF662B5DDB13C136D4B5299C012EDDB46E6

If there ever was volcanoes in KSP this would be one if not 2 of them.

722D90C23684104E2DA4C94EFE93CAF909F574D7

2E43BC5E4149505B2103803C5355D375F47EF059

0EFA1E46806402C7A1833EFC7535C4C883CF82C2

When I flew out to the islands, they were unremarkable. Ones a sand island the other a hill.

5EF7B9416EB685B38A3C7084CE26F5D5104C2D52

1DA43E39EA4F59FEF224926A06AB43486446BDA6

E565CADE964751CD94C324C5A84486C4B0D397F5

I'll check out the larger island to the south (bottom right circle) later.

Edited by Bigbootie

On 5/16/2016 at 7:57 PM, nosirrbro said:

Found evidence that could be a tectonic plate ripping away from one of the continents

RGlc93Y.png 

A large amount of a decrease in altitude between two mountain ranges? Seems like a good chance of a peice being ripped away.

Where is this? I'll go check it out if I have time.

• 4 months later...

Not sure this completely fits in here, but over on the Long Distance Naval Challenge thread, I'm expanding the range of my boats and naming navigation aids/geographic locations.

Is there any interest in this? Anyone care to suggest destinations that need to be named/marked as navigation waypoints?

Edited by seanth

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Decided to make an account just for this, as I've always wanted a Guild of Geographers style thing in KSP :D

I decided to get a close look at the island in the center of the coastal crater, and place a monitoring station on it to see what it's like. Enroute I stopped off in the desert to wait out the night, drop my expended tanks and see if it would be any hotter than elsewhere near sea level on Kerbin, judging from the reading, I'd say so! (Measured just over 300K when ASL average is 280-290)

G9DeZlR.jpg

WTuQ22k.jpg

MSYEgwq.jpg

Red = Cliff or Bad Slope, Yellow = Beach, Green = Grassy Area, Blue = Rocky Plateau

Full album (CAUTION: PRETTY BIG ALBUM)

Edited by Caelus5
images

On 5/15/2016 at 7:01 PM, nosirrbro said:

Okay, now your just drawing circles.

I would like to continue my participation in this thread by reminding you all that Kerbin has hundreds of potential craters. As with Earth, a circle is a very unnatural shape, and chances are that anything vaguely circular is a crater, to the point at which you can actually get away with "drawing circles".

I would also like to say that Kerbin was generated via Terragen 0.9.19, which uses Perlin noise to generate fractal terrains. This means that the terrain is extremely realistic (I would know, I use Terragen 4 to make my own planets and take pics of them). It is absolutely safe to treat a geographic feature as what it looks like. If you think a mountain is a volcano, say it is. You can also realistically estimate geological time on this terrain.

Finally, I would like to say that, when looking for an impact crater, after finding a possible candidate, you should also look for features around it. First see where it lies in proximity to lakes, mountains, some specific terrain type, etc. Zoom out and search for disturbances in these features: what do the disturbances look like? How are they facing in relation to the initial location you found? How far away are they? Is there any pattern to their positioning? When making a good, legitimate post on this thread, make sure to point all of that out, and any other details that you believe are necessary.

Glad to be back. Yay.

I doubt it's a crater, simply judging by the lack of any distinct rim, seeing as the central bulge is so prominent a rim just as new and uneroded would also be expected. I do wonder as to its origin though. Maybe it's an ancient volcanic plug, a big one, or Kerbin has supersized Uluru style rocks, i.e. large masses of rock near the middle of continents.

Edited by Caelus5
im a duuf

Another ridiculously huge album, (images are all out of order, dunno y, I'm switching to videyas from now on x.x) I decided to test the range of the Drifter to it's (almost) utmost. I'm confident that this thing could circumnavigate Kerbin if I didn't stop for sight-seeing. But this trip was focused mainly on two missions, one was placing a monitoring station at a dish I missed, and two was to investigate any interesting landfroms surrounding it.

Highlights:

jszDN9A.jpg

The first genuine sandbank I've found as of yet in-game

sF2kSNW.jpg

Possible volcanic depression(?)

CYYAVzl.png

Quite possibly the shallowest river I've ever seen

hgQD20U.png

This is possibly the best mountain-from-base view on all Kerbin, That mountain is the one that is on the antipode of the crater I visited last post. The basin is actually pretty deep, it goes to only 130m above sea level, yet the mountains that surround it easily break 1km.

5n2Uh4k.jpg

This is an interesting basin, perhaps at some point the tides are such that the sandbank on the left is above surface, allowing the waves to build it up.

ZCd1HLD.png

Another of these weird floating ice sheets completely separate from the main mass, this one on the north pole. My personal theory is that under the sea there is a seamount that rises to just below the surface, which 'seeds' the ice and allows it to spread out, while perhaps warm currents stop it joining to the mainland.

Edited by Caelus5

On 6/10/2016 at 5:01 PM, Bigbootie said:

906CCA66F1CF06701E4266CEBD9B4B15CC1CF67A

I would say that these islands were of volcanic origin.

They look a bit like the Carolina Bays, which are thought to be impact craters filled with lakes. However, they also look like they could be hot springs like on my Revamped Laythe. (1) (2) (3)

We should call this site "Mellowstone," because it's probably not currently active.

Is there a topographical map of Kerbin's ocean floor? this will help us find tectonic movement.

On 12/8/2016 at 6:52 PM, Caelus5 said:

I doubt it's a crater, simply judging by the lack of any distinct rim, seeing as the central bulge is so prominent a rim just as new and uneroded would also be expected. I do wonder as to its origin though. Maybe it's an ancient volcanic plug, a big one, or Kerbin has supersized Uluru style rocks, i.e. large masses of rock near the middle of continents.

It seems like that area has eroded, flattening a large part of the mountain range and leaving a few spikes here and there.

EDIT: BTW, here are some great videos that show Earth's tectonic movement:

There is a myriad of similarities to Kerbin here. At one point, you can actually relate Earth to the Kerbal home planet. Observe the first 60 million years of each of these videos, and you can actually see the formation of structures that exist on Kerbin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.