Kerbin Geographical society

Rath

Got a quick video up, this time I'm exploring an anomaly I found in the forzen north, it has some pretty cool features around it, including a lake that my kerbals sink in (?) and fairly aircraft friendly terrain. The vid itself is glitchy as all heck, editing/recording software is just free crud, but I didn't get any of that in game and have no clue what it's about. I guess screenshots have their upsides :P

• 4 weeks later...

To the most honorable Kerbin Geographic Society.

My intrepid Kerbals have been investigating the coasts of Kerbin as they design water-craft with increasing range. As we approach no-refueling distances of 75% circumnavigation of the planet, we yearn for mission ideas. Past missions here:

Anyone have objective ideas? The current craft design has a stock submarine onboard that lets me place flags under water.

Edited by seanth

9 hours ago, seanth said:

Anyone have objective ideas?

Perhaps a detailed exploration of the edge of the ice caps? The sheer drop (while unrealistic) should make for some interesting scenery.

I'm currently trying to make an efficient VTOL for exploring remote locations in mountains and badlands, but it's proving difficult to lift anything bigger than a mk1 aircraft with any form of reasonable fuel efficiency.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a flag. It is based off the National Geographic Society flag. Anybody who wants can use this, add to signature, whatever, its free!

Oh? It was displaying, now it quit. How do you do it?

Got it now?

IEvb7jd.png

Edited by Brent Kerman
Got picture to work. OR NOT? Again?

I built three rovers to do land exploration. (I might Elcano as well.) I will make a thread in Mission Reports documenting it. If any of you have sites you especially want me to visit, let me know. I have all types of ground science experiments, both Stock and DMagic. So if you want a location explored, give me the coordinates.

Here are the rovers:

Ready to go,

Hanzwcb.png

On our way!

asJaoCq.png

I am using Burn Together, TAC Life Support, Planetary Base Systems, Mechjeb, Kerbal Konstructs, and several others. #ModItTillItBreaks.

EDIT: Burn together doesn't work good enough, building one big rover with @Angel-125's Pathfinder and Buffalo Mod.

Link to report here: Road of Exploration

Edited by Brent Kerman
Added link.

I like the idea of the Kerbin Geographic Society. :) Interestingly enough, my grandfather was editor and chief of National Geographic Magazine for many years, having worked his way up from being a photographer for the magazine. Seeing people on this thread discussing various geographical features around Kerbin reminds me of a time when I visited my grandfather's office as a kid, and it was stuffed with books maps, and the like. Anyway, once I get a couple of mod releases done, hopefully I'll be able to go explore and report my findings as well. :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/03/2017 at 10:14 AM, Rath said:

I'm wondering whats going on here:

http://imgur.com/a/WJIeZ

Looks to me like a geologically active area, with volcanic mountain ranges and valleys, possibly a fault line where that crack at the bottom is.

I'm interested in what process could make a lone mountain in the middle of a continent like this one I came across, I checked and it is completely independent of the range in the background, and it didn't have a caldera of obvious volcanic feature.

miOdCoB.jpg

Edited by Caelus5
wording

On 3/12/2017 at 4:05 PM, Caelus5 said:

Looks to me like a geologically active area, with volcanic mountain ranges and valleys, possibly a fault line where that crack at the bottom is.

I'm interested in what process could make a lone mountain in the middle of a continent like this one I came across, I checked and it is completely independent of the range in the background, and it didn't have a caldera of obvious volcanic feature.

miOdCoB.jpg

What mod is that jet from?  It doesn't look B9.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:05 AM, Caelus5 said:

miOdCoB.jpg

Where is this? I'm going to investigate further.

On 14/03/2017 at 8:55 PM, Rath said:

What mod is that jet from?  It doesn't look B9.

It's from the Airplane Plus parts pack, it's a really good mini-goliath type engine with adorable thrust reversal flaps but the noise it makes is pure high-pitch auditory cancer.

I have recently gone on another expedition to the lone mountain, and recorded a bit of very framey video while I was there, near the beginning in map mode you can see the approximate location of the mountain

I think that this mountain is very likely volcanic in origin, especially judging by the caldera/crater visible at 1:00 in.

Edited by Caelus5
Youtube is finally back!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing some speculating, and came up with this in Blender:

The Unobtanium conducts electricity, and therefore via geodynamo theory, creates a magnetic field, protecting Kerbals. Its ultra high density results in it sinking to the core. The Mantle of Explodium helps explain the abundance of rocket fuel on Kerbin, and possibly the theorized vulcanism! The Ore Crust is a result of an earlier impact, early when Kerbin resembled Dres, and was seismically inactive, when an asteroid impacted Kerbin, disturbing a large mass east of the 'Keurasia' continent, antipodal to the new huge crater, which formed into a new body, Mun. The debris cloud formed a lithobraking medium to slow down a passing comet, hence known as 'Minmus'. The asteroid liquefied instantly, and was spread in the upper mantle, and lower crust. The seismic consequences of this impact disturbed the inert interior, kick-starting seismic activity.

(Yes, that is Kerbin, you can see the KSC continent and the spain analog on the right. If anyone wants the blend file, or the original image at a different res, just ask.)

uc?export=view&id=0Bzr683cBbGPTemFrX1Vic

Edited by Seabo14
More on the Impact

I've got a 1 Kerbal sub from 1.1.3 that simply needs some patch work and can be used in 1.2 for those who want to explore the sea.

I'd like to see it used to map the topography of Kerbin's, Eve's and even Laythe's shores. I've used hyperedit to get it to Laythe and it works perfectly. Eve will be a challenge as it'll have to be based off of some source other than jet engines. I'm looking into a xenon or rocket powered alternative. Won't have the duration but ought to be fine.

• 1 month later...

I wanna get this thread doing something again so here we go (you can find a kerbalmaps replacement here)

What could have formed this?  Looks like it could be a caldera or something.  It's down near the tip of the KSC continent if anybody want's to go check it out in game.

Oooh, I found another dry riverbed, it looks like the whole desert was its drainage basin.  That's the desert with the temple, perhaps it was a massive nile-style delta previously.

The Kerbistan navy has completed a basic survey of the possible Caldera (Unless triplecanoes exist, it's probably not a caldera) Please also notice the small hole near the shore on the "Caldera" image. (Pardon the unrelated images, I edited them out in imgur but they didn't disappear in this for some reason)

Edited by samuel9900

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.