[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

KRE has a new maintainer! See the new forum post:

9crVhKV.png

Tired of throwing away your rocket every time you launch? Look no further! This collection of parts will help you build reusable rockets, SpaceX-style.

Includes:

• Falcon 9 Landing Legs in three different sizes. Firespitter required for black variant.
  • New Glenn Landing Legs in two different sizes.
  • ITS Landing Legs in two different sizes.
  • New Shepard Landing Legs in two different sizes.
  • Grid Fins for control and additional drag on descent.
  • Deployable Wings to fly back stages.
  • SuperDraco Engines to land your capsules and provide in-flight abort capability
  • Fuel Tank with ladder extension
  • Heat Shield with integrated shroud, decoupler and deployable landing gear
  • Docking Port compatible with stock docking ports

Recommended mods:

Compatible with:

Installation:

Move the "KerbalReusabilityExpansion" folder to KerbalSpaceProgram/GameData/ and you're good to go.
With CKAN CLI:  ckan.exe install SpaceXLegs

License:

MIT License

How to:

Special thanks to:

• @nli2work for making the legs work initially for 1.1. The setup has since been redone but it would have been much harder without that help.
  • @DerpyFirework for contributing the "DeployableAeroSurfaces" plug-in for the grid fins. It is in the public domain and the source code can be found here.

Good luck landing stages!

Edited by EmbersArc
OP/Download missing license, no source link for dll

2 minutes ago, nli2work said:

I can set it up for 1.1+ with the new wheel stuff if you don't mind it being used as a sample lander leg for tutorial

Pretty please. That would be very helpful for me since I will eventually need to do some!

18 minutes ago, nli2work said:

I can set it up for 1.1+ with the new wheel stuff if you don't mind it being used as a sample lander leg for tutorial

Sounds great! Would be cool to see a tutorial about how it's done right :)

Will send you a Dropbox link with all the files if that's alright.

Quick update

@nli2work has done an amazing job setting the legs up for 1.1. I've spent the last few days understanding and tweaking the system.
The one remaining problem is that the animation for the suspension isn't scaling properly yet and only works with the unscaled version. I have some ideas how to fix this and the new version should be released soon.

3 hours ago, svendii said:

Quick update

@nli2work has done an amazing job setting the legs up for 1.1. I've spent the last few days understanding and tweaking the system.
The one remaining problem is that the animation for the suspension isn't scaling properly yet and only works with the unscaled version. I have some ideas how to fix this and the new version should be released soon.

So I downloaded this to test it out yesterday (running v1.12) and it seems to be working perfectly fine for me. I'm not sure what issues you're fixing, but anyway, your continued work is much appreciated! Today I launched (and landed, and then relaunched for the fun of it) my first reusable booster. Fun times were had, thanks to your (landing) legs!

I did notice one slight issue, though, and it hasn't actually effected me, so it's not a problem as far as I'm concerned: I notice the crash tolerance for the legs is set to 300m/s. That's some hardy legs! :wink:

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say thanks for the great work. :)

14 minutes ago, DavidHunter said:

So I downloaded this to test it out yesterday (running v1.12) and it seems to be working perfectly fine for me. 

No phantom forces or legs walking around after landing? I'm not going to complain! :wink:

15 minutes ago, DavidHunter said:

I notice the crash tolerance for the legs is set to 300m/s. That's some hardy legs! :wink:

Thanks, I should probably change this...:P

45 minutes ago, svendii said:

No phantom forces or legs walking around after landing? I'm not going to complain! :wink:

Thanks, I should probably change this...:P

What phantom forces or legs walking around?? :P

Seriously, working perfectly fine here (other than the 300m/s crash tolerance, haha!).

Update!

@nli2work and I have spent hours trying to figure out how to make the suspension scale correctly, with moderate success. It's much better than before though with many other improvements.

I don't want to let anyone wait so here it is.

Download from SpaceDock

Attention: The legs will extend further in flight than in the VAB, so don't worry if they don't reach past the engines.

On 22 May 2016 at 9:31 PM, svendii said:

Update!

@nli2work and I have spent hours trying to figure out how to make the suspension scale correctly, with moderate success. It's much better than before though with many other improvements.

I don't want to let anyone wait so here it is.

Download from SpaceDock

Attention: The legs will extend further in flight than in the VAB, so don't worry if they don't reach past the engines.

Thanks, will hopefully test it on the weekend (busier than usual work week this week sadly). :)

11 hours ago, Hysterrics said:

Will these look nice on the Launcher's Pack Falcon 9? If so that's a download from me.

Damned legs. I can never stay on the barge.

They come in three different sizes for the diameters of the stock tanks. Not sure whether they will fit the Falcon 9 though.

2 hours ago, BananaIsAFruit said:

Hi, I use your mod on my Falcon 9 and i love it. One thing though, could you possibly make the legs in white too like the real thing? Thanks alot.

Definitely on my to-do list!

Just now, akron said:

@nli2work, @svendii: Did you guys ever get that landing leg tutorial done? or is it still on the works?

The wheel system in its current state is pretty much work in progress as confirmed in the latest devnotes:

Next on the list is planning for update 1.2: this update will most likely contain a minor update of the Unity game engine which should fix various outstanding issues, more updates to the wheels, the implementation of some already announced features which didn’t make the 1.1 patch and various further items we’re looking into.

@nli2work said he would rather wait with the tutorial for this reason and also because we both aren't much closer to actually understanding the system.

On 24.05.2016 at 2:21 PM, svendii said:

They come in three different sizes for the diameters of the stock tanks. Not sure whether they will fit the Falcon 9 though.

Would you be able to make them more suitable for Realism Overhaul for real-life sized Falcon 9 (3.66 meters diameter)? I built a Falcon 9 with accurate dimensions and everything and the 3.75m legs look a bit too big and they stick out a little bit from the rocket (as in there is a little bit of empty space between the rocket and the legs) so I need to move it manually.

Other than that, the mod is awesome!

BTW. Having them in white would be great as well :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.