[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

First stage doesn't have legs because it lunch right at on its pad. It kinda " dock" on the platform. I don't think its something we will be able to do in kerbal, it would be pretty cool trough. It a alternative could be to have similar leg than those on the upper stage.

31 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

It is possible to land something on the launch pad assuming you land at a slow enough velocity, no horizontal movement, and a very accurate scope into how you are going to land that stage within a few meters of your target. 

Indeed, but it will still feel like landing on your engines.

9 hours ago, svendii said:

SdCCdQk.png

...and of course it doesn't have any legs. Great. :rolleyes: At least saves me some work.
Not sure if we need another set of grid fins but I wouldn't be against making them.

The legs on the lander look quite interesting though:

r1Usao8.png

Looking forward to making those.

In other news:

This sweet feature has just been added to 1.2:

That means that in version 2.0.2 the grid fins are now in the Brakes action group and the legs on the heat shield are in the Gear action group by default.

I've also uploaded a version 1.99 which is a 1.1.3 compatible release of version 2.0.2 for 1.2. You should be able to update without it breaking anything.

Does that mean we will see those epic gridfins and landing legs? Choo Choo! All aboard the hype train! :D 

6 hours ago, Duski said:

Does that mean we will see those epic gridfins and landing legs? Choo Choo! All aboard the hype train! :D 

Does this mean we'll also see Raptor engines and some sort of tools for H2O and CO2 extraction and conversion to CH4 and O2 for use on Duna? :P 

7 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

I recently did a Mars mission using a Falcon 9 Heavy and it was made a lot easier with your parts svendii, so thank you for making this awesome mod! 

The mission! http://imgur.com/a/jjb9l   

Nicely done.

Might I make a suggestion, though? Use the Trajectories mod to make your boost-back burn more precise. Then instead of using MJ's "land at target" button, use the "land somewhere" button. That way, it'll do a powered landing and it'll be more precise (MJ's landing site predictions aren't as precise as Trajectories' is, sadly). This will help you avoid boosters that should be on land but want to be on the ASDS instead. :wink:

Using Trajectories, I am able to get very precise landings (within 100m). Here is my F9 S1 landing back very close to the launch pad after lobbing the JWST into LKO.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/povuqe1w8tc0zsb/screenshot2932.png?dl=0

I have tried, but can't get it any closer than that using MJ's landing autopilot and Trajectories.

Well... actually, I managed to accidentally land right up against the Astronaut Complex once...: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuvpsr8nfwzdtv3/screenshot2988.png?dl=0

That particular launch was to the west, rather than the east, and I hadn't compensated enough for Kerbin's rotation when doing my boost-back burn. Derp.

By the way, how are you guys getting images inside your posts? I can't find any mechanism in the reply form to allow that...

Edited by DavidHunter

1 hour ago, DavidHunter said:

Nicely done.

Might I make a suggestion, though? Use the Trajectories mod to make your boost-back burn more precise. Then instead of using MJ's "land at target" button, use the "land somewhere" button. That way, it'll do a powered landing and it'll be more precise (MJ's landing site predictions aren't as precise as Trajectories' is, sadly). This will help you avoid boosters that should be on land but want to be on the ASDS instead. :wink:

Using Trajectories, I am able to get very precise landings (within 100m). Here is my F9 S1 landing back very close to the launch pad after lobbing the JWST into LKO.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/povuqe1w8tc0zsb/screenshot2932.png?dl=0

I have tried, but can't get it any closer than that using MJ's landing autopilot and Trajectories.

Well... actually, I managed to accidentally land right up against the Astronaut Complex once...: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuvpsr8nfwzdtv3/screenshot2988.png?dl=0

That particular launch was to the west, rather than the east, and I hadn't compensated enough for Kerbin's rotation when doing my boost-back burn. Derp.

By the way, how are you guys getting images inside your posts? I can't find any mechanism in the reply form to allow that...

Wow didnt know trajectories went that deep thank you for bring that up! Now I dont need to download the ASDS mod!:P

I think there used to be an imgur thing but I dont know what happened to it, thats why I use the imgur links.

5 hours ago, DavidHunter said:

Does this mean we'll also see Raptor engines and some sort of tools for H2O and CO2 extraction and conversion to CH4 and O2 for use on Duna? :P 

Probably in some other mod, this mod is aimed at reusability and not scientific tools and propulsion.

3 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

Wow didnt know trajectories went that deep thank you for bring that up! Now I dont need to download the ASDS mod!:P

I think there used to be an imgur thing but I dont know what happened to it, thats why I use the imgur links.

Ah right, thanks for the info. :)

2 minutes ago, Duski said:

Probably in some other mod, this mod is aimed at reusability and not scientific tools and propulsion.

I know. This was a joke based on earlier conversation (on page 8 of this thread).

On 9/29/2016 at 5:38 PM, Delta_8930 said:

Is it possible to allow the Dragon trunk to generate electricity like the real crew dragon?

So you mean with like ...solar panels?

5 hours ago, milosv123344 said:

Hi, downloaded this mod and whenever it tries to load the mod files , loading stops, but the game doesn't crash, just stops loading anything once it gets to any file related to this mod. Using 1.1.3 

Are you sure that you're using the version for 1.1.3 from SpaceDock? The 1.2 version doesn't work with 1.1.3.

5 hours ago, svendii said:

So you mean with like ...solar panels?

Sort of, yeah. The Dragon V2 trunk has a curved solar panel on the outside of it's trunk. I'm not sure how the solar panel module needs to be set up so it can always generate electricity no matter what side is facing the sun, but something like Nertea's curved panel plugin (from Near Future Solar) would probably work. 

Those who are already using version 1.99 or 2.0: How are the legs working for you? Are they strong enough? I'm always happy about feedback.

On 10/5/2016 at 2:32 PM, Delta_8930 said:

Sort of, yeah. The Dragon V2 trunk has a curved solar panel on the outside of it's trunk. I'm not sure how the solar panel module needs to be set up so it can always generate electricity no matter what side is facing the sun, but something like Nertea's curved panel plugin (from Near Future Solar) would probably work. 

I'm not intending to make solar panels for it. The trunk already isn't directly related to reusability. There are already some great stock solar panels that fit quite well in my opinion.

From the pics I've seen I must admit that I got really excited about this, and have to congratulate you on the great work!

However, I can only do so from what I've seen on this post, as I don't seem to be able to play it ... After installing now when I enter VAB there are NO parts available, as in ZERO, nothing anywhere, not the stock parts, not the KRE ones, there just isn't anything anywhere ...

I'm new to the game and this was the first mod I wanted to try out so it could be I messed up something somewhere, any help would be appreciated in case I don't manage to figure it out myself ...

1 hour ago, Ban3k8 said:

From the pics I've seen I must admit that I got really excited about this, and have to congratulate you on the great work!

However, I can only do so from what I've seen on this post, as I don't seem to be able to play it ... After installing now when I enter VAB there are NO parts available, as in ZERO, nothing anywhere, not the stock parts, not the KRE ones, there just isn't anything anywhere ...

I'm new to the game and this was the first mod I wanted to try out so it could be I messed up something somewhere, any help would be appreciated in case I don't manage to figure it out myself ...

Welcome to KSP!
You're most likely using the version for the 1.2 prerelease but your game version is 1.1.3.
So you can either update your game to the prerelease (will be the official release by Tuesday) or download the 1.1.3 compatible version from here.

Ok, so that's where I did a stupid ... Tnx for that!

Now there's another thing, if anyone has any insight into that ... After the thing didn't work I removed all the folders (FMRS, ModuleManager, and KRE), and still nothing changed in the game ... So I'm wondering if stuff is not as easily uninstalled as just removing it from the folder, or whether there was another issue with my PC (running a pretty archaic laptop, just happy I can play the game on lowest settings lol) ...

I guess I just don't wanna have to uninstall again in case something goes bonkers again lol ...

Anyways, I only discovered the game on accident following the revelation of the Mars colonization plans by SpaceX, so I'm absolutely loving the work u're doing here (Seriously, I felt like crying when it didn't want to work lol xD)

Edited by Ban3k8
typo

2 hours ago, Ban3k8 said:

Now there's another thing, if anyone has any insight into that ... After the thing didn't work I removed all the folders (FMRS, ModuleManager, and KRE), and still nothing changed in the game ... So I'm wondering if stuff is not as easily uninstalled as just removing it from the folder, or whether there was another issue with my PC (running a pretty archaic laptop, just happy I can play the game on lowest settings lol) ...

It should be as easy as that. Make sure you didn't change the Squad folder in GameData. Maybe try reinstalling KSP, just make sure to backup your saves.

Love this mod so far but how does everyone manage the issue of landing the first stage while making your orbital burn and usually having the first stage unload if i switch for the circularisation.??? 

Btw my second stages normally have quite low twr and double as a transfer stage therefore need a long burn at ap

Edited by Palaceviking
Info

19 minutes ago, Palaceviking said:

Love this mod so far but how does everyone manage the issue of landing the first stage while making your orbital burn and usually having the first stage unload if i switch for the circularisation.??? 

Btw my second stages normally have quite low twr and double as a transfer stage therefore need a long burn at ap

Check out Flight Manager for Reusable Stages

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be maintained anymore. The most recent version is an experimental build for 1.1.0 (works fine for 1.1.3 though). The current dev isn't active anymore so if anyone wants to update it to to 1.2 that would be very much appreciated :D.

4 hours ago, Palaceviking said:

Matrorolgnika often streams on Twitch and he seems to use them all the time, at least until recently because he's now playing KSP v1.2Pre.  You could perhaps check some of his saved streams.

Edited by Brigadier

The thrust from the superdraco engines is asymmetric and always want to make the vehicle curve north immediately after launching when placed with 4x symmetry. In orbit, when I try to burn prograde, the ship always wants to curve. Is there a solution to this problem?

2 hours ago, Delta_8930 said:

The thrust from the superdraco engines is asymmetric and always want to make the vehicle curve north immediately after launching when placed with 4x symmetry. In orbit, when I try to burn prograde, the ship always wants to curve. Is there a solution to this problem?

Well it is a LAS...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.