[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

Quick update. Total mess over here. I seem to have forgotten how the whole landing gear system works. Or it changed somehow. The new leg's setup is virtually the same as that of the old one but somehow behaves differently. Each time I load the craft it launches itself up in the air for no reason. Or it slowly starts an oscillation and destroys itself.

I'm growing tired of the landing gear system's quirks and riddles. For now I'm experimenting with KSPWheel but still the same issues so far. The other landing legs seem to have developed some issues as well right? Randomly destroying the launchpad or moving when they shouldn't.

Anyway I've changed the version on SpaceDock to 1.4.2 without adding the new legs.

I'll have to do something else for now before going completely crazy. In the meantime you can let me know which part you want me to rework next.

1 hour ago, EmbersArc said:

Quick update. Total mess over here. I seem to have forgotten how the whole landing gear system works.

I believe there are a few issues with legs in 1.4.2 and they're getting fixed in 1.4.3 next week, so that could be a cause.

1 hour ago, BananaTime101 said:

I believe there are a few issues with legs in 1.4.2 and they're getting fixed in 1.4.3 next week, so that could be a cause.

Dude. Just tried it in 1.3.1 and it works flawlessly. No weird oscillation nor a free launch to space.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/18289?next_issue_id=18288&prev_issue_id=18290

Weird mix of relief/anger/insanity. Please excuse me while I'm going to cry now.

On 4/3/2018 at 4:53 PM, EmbersArc said:

You mean those? I'm not sure SpaceX even know what those legs are going to look like. The ones in the render just look like placeholders to me.

Perhaps it is of interest to you, but in a recent talk (video, starts at 18:05) they showed similar looking legs. They kind of look like the legs on New Shepard, although I have a bit of trouble landing with those!

Thank you for the amazing mod! :-) 

Edited by user8248932

5 hours ago, user8248932 said:

Perhaps it is of interest to you, but in a recent talk (video, starts at 18:05) they showed similar looking legs. They kind of look like the legs on New Shepard, although I have a bit of trouble landing with those!

Thank you for the amazing mod! :-) 

Completely missed those, thanks for the hint! I probably won't make those though. Looks like it's just a piston that extends out. Those would not increase the area you're standing on and therefore not add any stability. Landing is hard enough already :wink:.

Good news though, I'll update the New Shepard legs next and will try to make them more stable.

14 minutes ago, EmbersArc said:

Completely missed those, thanks for the hint! I probably won't make those though. Looks like it's just a piston that extends out. Those would not increase the area you're standing on and therefore not add any stability. Landing is hard enough already :wink:.

Good news though, I'll update the New Shepard legs next and will try to make them more stable.

Awesome! I'll keep an eye on the developments here. Regarding stability, that's exactly why I currently like to use the wider legs you made! Having your rocket tip over and body slam Duna after the long trip is frustrating to say the least. :D

Have a great evening.

1.4.3 seems to have fixed the issues. It all works very smoothly now. One more thing that I discovered is that it's completely fine to have a wheel collider that is pointing inwards at an angle of about 25° like this:

xqrb51q.png

That both makes physical sense for this setup and really highlights its suspension mechanism. But most importantly it provides a stabilizing torque that makes for a great landing experience.

GIF link if it doesn't show: https://gfycat.com/DelectableLateBeetle

The fact that SpaceDock and Curse still don't support 1.4.3 version updates is delaying the update. In the meantime I've been working on some New New Shepard legs. Nothing too exciting so far.

rqX5yF8.png

Edited by EmbersArc

Awesome. I am loving the details and animations on those legs! :-)

Regarding 1.4.3, I don't think so. I can't see that version listed, but decided to quickly shoot Curseforge an e-mail. I wish I could try out those new legs!

Edit: Okay, wow,  @EmbersArc they immediately added it on CurseForge. They're quick.

Edited by user8248932

3 hours ago, user8248932 said:

I can't see that version listed, but decided to quickly shoot Curseforge an e-mail. I wish I could try out those new legs!

Edit: Okay, wow,  @EmbersArc they immediately added it on CurseForge. They're quick.

Haha nice, thanks! So I'll include the new New Shepard legs in this update as well. Will finish and upload that tomorrow.

I read through this whole thread and I don't see anyone else commenting on the issue I have:  I'm not able to assign the vanes to an action group.  Did I miss something where this is not possible?  (Apologies if this is the case.)

Edit:  I mean, I can assign them, but no matter which option I pick, extend, retract, etc, they do nothing.  I have to toggle them manually.

Edited by Syst3m

I made a semi reusable solid booster. I say semi bc i have not tested it without chutes. Thats the final design I would like to have. the vid is pretty short, Im not very good with that stuff yet.

Edit: How do I make the video window smaller in the forums?

This is a Liquid fuel booster Im trying. My record button uses the same key KSP uses for throttle, thats the only reason the engine burns a little at the beginning. The other 20 times I tested without recording it worked the same way. I also forgot to change the landing tolerance, its way to soft for a booster landing. Its alot easier to land a LF booster.

Edited by viperwolf

2 hours ago, viperwolf said:

I made a semi reusable solid booster. I say semi bc i have not tested it without chutes. Thats the final design I would like to have. the vid is pretty short, Im not very good with that stuff yet.

Edit: How do I make the video window smaller in the forums?

-video-

You, my friend, are awesome! People can learn from this @JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, damonvv said:

You, my friend, are awesome! People can learn from this @JadeOfMaar

Thank you, I appreciate that.  The problem is cost of boosters go up with the initial build, but I recover and reuse almost everything. So I guess it works out in the end, the other is part count. Each booster ends up with 22-26 parts. no matter what version I use. I have 3 different types that work.

18 hours ago, Syst3m said:

I read through this whole thread and I don't see anyone else commenting on the issue I have:  I'm not able to assign the vanes to an action group.  Did I miss something where this is not possible?  (Apologies if this is the case.)

Edit:  I mean, I can assign them, but no matter which option I pick, extend, retract, etc, they do nothing.  I have to toggle them manually.

Welcome to the forum! "Toggle Fins" is the one to deploy/retract the fins. That works for me in 1.4.3. This action gets automatically assigned to the "Brakes" action group anyway, so you don't have to set that up yourself.

Small texture update for the soon-to-be old Falcon landing legs.

3OkaKNq.png

I probably won't be able to resist making the new ones as well:

aEuuGFi.jpg

Edited by EmbersArc

18 hours ago, woeller said:

I really like the new stuff, but how about some really new stuff? Something like the Energia landing legs? Ok it's old stuff but I would love to land @Beale's Energia Booster. :D

Looks like Beale already has plans for that:

1 hour ago, infinite_monkey said:

Has anyone tried the booster wings yet? I would love to see a video of them in action :)

I've tested them with AB Launchers' Energia boosters (Zenit 1st stage). Will try to find the screenshots. But if you want to try i something simmilar I would recommend using the new ones from Tantares. 

EDIT: The original reply is here but since then the screenshots were removed (probably timed out on imgur since they were just uploaded not actually posted) and I'm no longer hosting the Dropbox download link. But recreating a Baikal booster shouldn't be too hard...

Edited by notJebKerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.