[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

Hi there!

First of all this mod is fantastic. It's on my essentials list now.

It seems that the deployable wings aren't working. They would not connect to the wing base, neither to anything else like the Radial Attachment Point. I made a gif:

https://gfycat.com/TepidAccurateAmericanshorthair

I've tried KSP 1.4.2 with mod version 2.6.2 as well as 1.4.3 with mod version 2.8.3

I don't know if it could be a mod conflict, I'm running dozens of others.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Edited by mimblgrimpf

I've been finding the hole in the center of the Dragon fuel tank really useful for tucking an LV-909 engine into on kicker stages...

LY0cz8t.png

Have you considered including a variant of the Dragon heat shield with a matching hole in the center?  It could be really useful for some lander designs.

Edited by RoboRay

On 6/8/2018 at 12:26 AM, Barzon Kerman said:

Will you revamp the Cold gas thrusters?

Are they still that ugly? ;.; Let's remember that they used to look worse:

9g11qL9.png

But probably yes. Don't know when the remaining parts will get an update though.

16 hours ago, mimblgrimpf said:

Hi there!

First of all this mod is fantastic. It's on my essentials list now.

It seems that the deployable wings aren't working. They would not connect to the wing base, neither to anything else like the Radial Attachment Point. I made a gif:

https://gfycat.com/TepidAccurateAmericanshorthair

I've tried KSP 1.4.2 with mod version 2.6.2 as well as 1.4.3 with mod version 2.8.3

I don't know if it could be a mod conflict, I'm running dozens of others.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Glad you like it! They work just fine. It's somewhat counterintuitive but they attach in the deployed position.

5 hours ago, RoboRay said:

I've been finding the hole in the center of the Dragon fuel tank really useful for tucking an LV-909 engine into on kicker stages...

Have you considered including a variant of the Dragon heat shield with a matching hole in the center?  It could be really useful for some lander designs.

That's a creative application!  But unfortunately I have no plans to make one with a hole in it. The whole point of having a heat shield is that there isn't a hole in it right? ;)

1 hour ago, EmbersArc said:

That's a creative application!  But unfortunately I have no plans to make one with a hole in it. The whole point of having a heat shield is that there isn't a hole in it right? ;)

Usually, yes.  :) 

Gemini MOL was an exception, though that was an off-center hatch that would be closed for reentry.

MOL+3+Fig+2.jpg

Edited by RoboRay

8 hours ago, RoboRay said:

Gemini MOL was an exception, though that was an off-center hatch that would be closed for reentry.

Also:

Too bad I can't get anyone interested in modelling this: Inflatable shield with hard cap which has hatches for landing gear AND landing thrusters... (decelerator retracts after landing thus getting around the problem of how to safely separate from it before landing)

HIAD-FS.jpg

6 hours ago, Xd the great said:

For me, i seem to be able to build an ugly looking dragon capsule. Looks really ugly, but lands well.

You know what would be really great, either in the stock game or in a mod? I’d probably say a 6- or 7- seater command pod. Currently using this mod we can create a Dragon v2 using a Mk1-2/1-3 pod, but the real spacecraft will have a capacity of 7 crew.

21 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@EmbersArc Any plans to update your Dragon-style parts around the new Mk1-3 command pod?? Or do they integrate well already?

This mod looks AMAZING, by the way. Can't wait to play with it!!!

(I may have an addiction to part mods. Won't be long before I run out of RAM :P)

I think they integrate really nicely, honestly - the ladder on the fuel tank has been rotated to match the new position, and the surface-attachable Dracos fit just fine. The only thing I'd advise you do is to disable the integrate RCS thrusters on the Mk1-3 if you've attached Dracos on top of them, just because the clipping Fx looks a little strange.

Just now, Sufficient Anonymity said:

I think they integrate really nicely, honestly - the ladder on the fuel tank has been rotated to match the new position, and the surface-attachable Dracos fit just fine. The only thing I'd advise you do is to disable the integrate RCS thrusters on the Mk1-3 if you've attached Dracos on top of them, just because the clipping Fx looks a little strange.

Yeah, seems like it.

Interesting thing about those Draco engines--- look at this pic of the Crew Dragon:

Image result for spacex crew dragonThere are actually four Draco engines (two on each side), rather than the three people have been using for Dragons with this mod.

On 6/9/2018 at 8:03 PM, RoboRay said:

Oh I didn't think of one that could be closed. :rolleyes: Nice idea indeed. Will keep that in mind for when I update the heatshield.

21 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Any plans to update your Dragon-style parts around the new Mk1-3 command pod?? Or do they integrate well already?

They should integrate fine as they got updated recently. Attach the Dracos on top of the pod's RCS thrusters and disable them as described by @Sufficient Anonymity. You can still use the RCS variant of the Dracos so you won't lose any functionality.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, EmbersArc said:

Everyone look! From the 1.4.4 changelog:

+++ Improvements
* Improve wheel suspension micro-oscillation and sliding.

Huzzah! Praise the kraken!!

Noob question incoming...

@EmbersArc how exactly do I place the deployable wings? When I try to use symmetry on the wing surfaces it doesn't work. I can only place one wing to the base. :huh:

EDIT: figured it out. Don't worry.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

On 6/11/2018 at 7:36 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

You know what would be really great, either in the stock game or in a mod? I’d probably say a 6- or 7- seater command pod. Currently using this mod we can create a Dragon v2 using a Mk1-2/1-3 pod, but the real spacecraft will have a capacity of 7 crew.

The Mk4-9 command pod from NF Space Craft has 7 seats... Or you can look at the Estonian pod from DSEV...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.