[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

12 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@EmbersArc was it bad having to wrestle with the wheel system again? :P

Was positively surprised that it only took a couple of minutes of tweaking values in the config file. The reason it took a bit longer was that I had to wait for SpaceDock to accept versions for 1.4.4.

• 4 weeks later...

Question about this mod. I see landing legs in the list but are there any fixed legs that are just standard legs that will fit on anything? I do not like the stock LT-1 and LT-2 legs that come with this game. I'm burned out on the pogo stick effect going on with these legs. The only other legs to date that I have found that I actually like landing with are the fixed LEM legs from the FASA mod. I try to attach them on every craft I build if I can get them to fit just because they land with no bounce. I'm looking for some other landing leg alternatives from pogo stick.

Edited by MikeO89

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Starman17 said:

I've followed the installation instructions however the mod does not appear in the VAB.

You haven't really provided a lot to go on.  Which version of KSP and this mod are you using?  What are you expecting to see?

Are you playing a new career game?  If so, the parts are further up the tech tree.  Try starting a sandbox game and see if the parts are visible.

How did you install the mod; manually or through CKAN?

Read this thread for future reference.

1 minute ago, Brigadier said:

You haven't really provided a lot to go on.  Which version of KSP and this mod are you using?  What are you expecting to see?

Are you playing a new career game?  If so, the parts are further up the tech tree.  Try starting a sandbox game and see if the parts are visible.

How did you install the mod; manually or through CKAN?

Read this thread for future reference.

I'm currently running KSP version 1.4.5 as well as the most recent version of this mod. I installed the mod manually by placing the Kerbal Reusability Expansion folder inside of the Kerbal Space Program Game Data folder. I am playing in sandbox mode however in the VAB none of the parts are visible.

1 hour ago, Starman17 said:

I'm currently running KSP version 1.4.5 as well as the most recent version of this mod. I installed the mod manually by placing the Kerbal Reusability Expansion folder inside of the Kerbal Space Program Game Data folder. I am playing in sandbox mode however in the VAB none of the parts are visible.

It sounds like an installation issue.  Please post a link to your output_log.txt file in which you run the game and exhibit the problem, as well as a screen shot of your GameData directory.  Instructions on how to do that are contained in the post I referenced above.

If you filter your VAB parts list by manufacturer, do you see "KerbalReusabilityExpansion" as one of the manufacturers?

15 hours ago, Starman17 said:

Make sure you have the correct folder inside GameData. Many mods are in the form ModNameXY/GameData/ModName/... You need the part BELOW GameData.

Tried this mod. Question about the legs. I tried one of the legs and it moves quite a bit at landing. How do you stop the movement of the legs at landing? I want them to be rigid and not move at all. There are two adjustments on right click in VAB to adjust damper strength and spring strength from 0 to 2. Setting them to 2 actually makes them move at landing more than 0 does. I would like to take out all damper and spring and have the legs behave like they were pieces of metal bolted to the spacecraft.

Edited by MikeO89

In VAB, do the legs provide you with some options when you right click on them? On stock legs/wheels you've got options for bumper strength or rigidity. Sorry didn't read the entire message before posting.

Let's say that leg demper and spring mechanics have been revised a lot so maybe the mod's legs should be modified consequently?

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

• 2 weeks later...

the heat shield toggle staging option doesn't seem to actually toggle staging for the decoupler

Actually, the staging for the decoupler function of the heat shield doesn't work at all, it has to be manually triggered using the part menu in flight. 

Edited by eberkain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2018 at 11:47 PM, MikeO89 said:

Tried this mod. Question about the legs. I tried one of the legs and it moves quite a bit at landing. How do you stop the movement of the legs at landing? I want them to be rigid and not move at all. There are two adjustments on right click in VAB to adjust damper strength and spring strength from 0 to 2. Setting them to 2 actually makes them move at landing more than 0 does. I would like to take out all damper and spring and have the legs behave like they were pieces of metal bolted to the spacecraft.

The same problem when planting Falcon begins to jump. I tried to adjust the spring force and elasticity, but it did not work, someone knows how to solve this problem ?

All the legs in this mod use the same characteristics as the stock LT-1, LT-2 legs in that they all have the hydraulic bounce at landing. This has been a frustration of mine since I've been playing this game. I want a hard rigid stick landing without bounce of any kind. Funny thing. If you attach just plain girders to the spacecraft in place of the landing legs, even though it would be butt ugly, it will land perfectly with no bounce. Yet landing legs that are supposed to be for landing bounce like pogo sticks. Never understood why Squad insists on this effect. To date for me, the ONLY landing legs I've used that do not produce the hydraulic retraction and spring back effect are the Apollo LEM landing legs from the FASA mod. Dunno why those legs have a different landing characteristic than all others I've tried but they do. There are cfg files for the stock landing legs but I've not found they do anything to prevent the bounce.

Edited by MikeO89

1 hour ago, MikeO89 said:

All the legs in this mod use the same characteristics as the stock LT-1, LT-2 legs in that they all have the hydraulic bounce at landing. This has been a frustration of mine since I've been playing this game. I want a hard rigid stick landing without bounce of any kind. Funny thing. If you attach just plain girders to the spacecraft in place of the landing legs, even though it would be butt ugly, it will land perfectly with no bounce. Yet landing legs that are supposed to be for landing bounce like pogo sticks. Never understood why Squad insists on this effect. To date for me, the ONLY landing legs I've used that do not produce the hydraulic retraction and spring back effect are the Apollo LEM landing legs from the FASA mod. Dunno why those legs have a different landing characteristic than all others I've tried but they do. There are cfg files for the stock landing legs but I've not found they do anything to prevent the bounce.

I see that you've struggled with this in general for quite awhile so I'm not sure what tweaks I could suggest that you haven't already tried.... the stock leg modules (really just using the wheel module) are just bouncy and unrealistic as hell

The only thing I've tried that gave much relief was high damper ratios and low spring ratios but that doesn't always work especially with massive vehicles.... right now I'm experimenting with the following:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleWheelSuspension]]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleWheelSuspension]
	{
		%useAutoBoost = false
		%boostRatio = 0
	}
}

Also.... spring ratings higher than 7 might be a problem...

One other thing you may or may not be aware of is that the tweakables for spring and damper scale whatever is in the config; they are not themselves absolute values for spring and damper.

Edited by Starwaster

Just now, infinite_monkey said:

My BFR once even bounced itself from Minmus halfway into orbit... Totally unrealistic for springs to increase energy. I'm still on 1.4.5, though. Does anyone know if it's any better in 1.5?

I'm on 1.5 - I still get all the bounce. Landing on Minmus, or any very low-gravity location, is really tricky now. I need to add RCS just to hold my landers down initially

31 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

My BFR once even bounced itself from Minmus halfway into orbit... Totally unrealistic for springs to increase energy. I'm still on 1.4.5, though. Does anyone know if it's any better in 1.5?

Questionable... I'm actually testing in 1.5.1 right now... maybe in some ways it's better but that might be my imagination.

As to your statement about springs increasing energy - I hope I'm wrong about this but I think it's even worse than that... it really feels like increasing vehicle mass increases spring energy.

I was testing some ways to make suspension behave itself (see above re:  boostRatio and  useAutoBoost) and it seemed like everything was working ok and then I tried with a LARGER ship because I was worried some of my changes might make the suspension bottom out too hard... and the rocket started jumping and dancing on the pad in a way it had not been before. That just doesn't make sense.

So... things SEEMED like they were ok until my rocket got too massive... the sort of massive that most of our rockets are when using these parts.

Just to test things, I started a fresh 1.5.1 sandbox game and experimented:

first up I took a mk1 lander can, and 4 LT-2 struts around it - launching that, there was no noticable bounce on the launc pad.

Then I added a big ol' S3-14400 (the biggest 3m fuel tank) on top  - launched that, and that setup bounced for a good 5-6 seconds on the launch pad before it came to a halt. There is 100% something wrong here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.