[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

Bta7VU6.png

I've been experimenting with a reusable fairing that essentially works like a cargo bay. Not sure how reentry is going to work with this thing though. The problem is that it moves the center of drag to the front so that the second stage has to reenter engine first.

The model for the trunk is finished and I'm now trying to give it a stockalike texture.

Edited by svendii

@svendii

re: fairing - You could check out the Petal Adapters that SpaceY or KW Rocketry has. Not quite the same, as I don't think they use the cargo bay module, but it might help.

Also, your gridfins are really cool. I like the plugin/dragcube solution, which works as advertised (very clever!).

However, when comparing the values for the ModuleControlSurface to RoverDude's gridfins from the sounding rockets...you effectively changed every value every time you changed size, as opposed to just changing the surface area. All the same, your dragCoeff go, in order of small/medium/large: 3, 5, 2.

Also, RoverDude's use an aerodynamic model of "none" whereas your's are "default" - not sure what that means, but most aerodynamic parts use a "none."

Not saying  you have to follow his lead, just letting you know what other grid fins do.:)

Cheers.

Quick WIP of the trunk:

pD8YgTG.png

Still needs some more adjustments and detailing. The fins are currently stock but I'll make some more SpaceX-y ones soon. Also I've redesigned the heat shield shroud so that it matches the trunk.

@Deimos Rast thanks for pointing that out. The fins definitely need some adjustments. I'll have another look at the variables soon. Also not sure what the difference between none and default is but as long as it works I'm fine with it.

Love the new way this mod is going Svendii. I have found a bug with the landing legs. Don't know if this is just me or if no one else has noticed it. Once the legs have been extended, they wont retract fully. Thanks. 5ccee57714b79e6c6a0068c83d98be58.gif 

Edited by BananaIsAFruit

12 minutes ago, BananaIsAFruit said:

Love the new way this mod is going Svendii. I have found a bug with the landing legs. Don't know if this is just me or if no one else has noticed it. Once the legs have been extended, they wont retract fully. Thanks. 5ccee57714b79e6c6a0068c83d98be58.gif 

Yes I'm aware of that. Although I've sworn to myself to not touch the wheel system anymore till it's fixed in 1.2. So many hours have been wasted already trying to get the legs to work correctly. As soon as the retraction problem is fixed another problem pops us somewhere else. As much as I'd like to fix it, I can't.

28 minutes ago, svendii said:

Yes I'm aware of that. Although I've sworn to myself to not touch the wheel system anymore till it's fixed in 1.2. So many hours have been wasted already trying to get the legs to work correctly. As soon as the retraction problem is fixed another problem pops us somewhere else. As much as I'd like to fix it, I can't.

Thanks anyway :)

2 hours ago, svendii said:

to be fair, aren't you supposed to start with them retracted? They lock in once you extend them. Can they be set to only deploy once? That way you kill two birds with one stone.

I love this mod. I didn't realize that this mod could allow a Mark 1-2 capsule to land without, of necessity, deploying the 'chutes, until I tried using Mechjeb's landing guidance to bring it in over the KSC.

It took three more tries before I could successfully duplicate that feat intentionally. :wink:

I do have one question: can anyone instruct me on how to model the Falcon booster? I have a general sense of how to put one together, but I may have missed something obvious. Designs that use stock parts make for a good point of departure, but ones requiring specific mods aren't unwelcome, either.

16 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

to be fair, aren't you supposed to start with them retracted? They lock in once you extend them. Can they be set to only deploy once? That way you kill two birds with one stone.

Haven't found a way to do that unfortunately. IsOneShot only exists in ModuleAnimateGeneric and doesn't work in the new wheel system. I've checked the variables in the API documentation and there doesn't seem to be an equivalent for IsOneShot.

Just now, svendii said:

Haven't found a way to do that unfortunately. IsOneShot only exists in ModuleAnimateGeneric and doesn't work in the new wheel system. I've checked the variables in the API documentation and there doesn't seem to be an equivalent for IsOneShot.

Ach. I wasn't sure, 'swhy I asked. Do they still function apart from not retracting properly? I'd say leave it :P

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Ach. I wasn't sure, 'swhy I asked. Do they still function apart from not retracting properly? I'd say leave it :P

Very much intend to leave it till 1.2 is out :P Apart from that the legs work fine. The animation doesn't quite line up with the suspension but I've come to assume that this is also because of the broken wheel system. There just doesn't seem to be a way to make it line up. @nli2work and I have tried for many hours.

Some more shots of the Dragon with trunk and fins. Pretty much finished now.

3yGmUJN.png

I've added a "shroud" to the trunk too, just as an adapter (bottom left). The fins are configured for FAR (not that it was really necessary :P). Let me know what you think. Now trying to tweak the variables on the grid fins.

On 7/22/2016 at 7:27 PM, SSgt Baloo said:

I love this mod. I didn't realize that this mod could allow a Mark 1-2 capsule to land without, of necessity, deploying the 'chutes, until I tried using Mechjeb's landing guidance to bring it in over the KSC.

It took three more tries before I could successfully duplicate that feat intentionally. :wink:

I do have one question: can anyone instruct me on how to model the Falcon booster? I have a general sense of how to put one together, but I may have missed something obvious. Designs that use stock parts make for a good point of departure, but ones requiring specific mods aren't unwelcome, either.

Almost missed your comment there :wink:. I'm probably going to do a tutorial about how to build and fly Falcon and Dragon. Most likely in the form of an imgur album and not a commented video. My accent would probably make people throw up a bit. Just kidding. But seriously.

1 hour ago, svendii said:

Almost missed your comment there :wink:. I'm probably going to do a tutorial about how to build and fly Falcon and Dragon. Most likely in the form of an imgur album and not a commented video. My accent would probably make people throw up a bit. Just kidding. But seriously.

now we need to have you do it.

4 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Just as a fair warning, this does not work well together with Vens Stock Revamp. You'd have to cover up RCS ports and manually rotate the fuel tanks. Other than that no ill effects! Great mod!

Thanks! You're right. Another problem with Vens is the offset CoM of the capsule. The only way is to only use two SuperDracos - which still is enough for a landing. The tanks rotation isn't a big problem though.

12 hours ago, svendii said:

Thanks! You're right. Another problem with Vens is the offset CoM of the capsule. The only way is to only use two SuperDracos - which still is enough for a landing. The tanks rotation isn't a big problem though.

I have been using this mod and Vens, the rcs ports are blocked, but they still work. I haven't had any problems landing though. 

On 7/24/2016 at 4:53 AM, DavidHunter said:

Haha. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist my earlier suggestion. :P:wink: 

Can't. Resist. Must. Make. Fairing.
So actually it's not that impossible to do. If the fairing doesn't have to be procedural there are two ways to do it:

1. In one part: The two halves separate, rotate back and close to protect the engine. I've done some testing and it works quite well. Looks like this: 

bFu4u2S.png

2. Have multiple parts: A fairing base and the two halves as separate objects. RCS, batteries, probe core and parachutes can be attached to it. Not sure who has the patience to land two fairing parts but why not.

Which one do you prefer?

In other news I redid the texture for the legs (yes, again). Just didn't like it as it was. Looks better now I think.

5 hours ago, svendii said:

Can't. Resist. Must. Make. Fairing.
So actually it's not that impossible to do. If the fairing doesn't have to be procedural there are two ways to do it:

1. In one part: The two halves separate, rotate back and close to protect the engine. I've done some testing and it works quite well. Looks like this: 

bFu4u2S.png

2. Have multiple parts: A fairing base and the two halves as separate objects. RCS, batteries, probe core and parachutes can be attached to it. Not sure who has the patience to land two fairing parts but why not.

Which one do you prefer?

In other news I redid the texture for the legs (yes, again). Just didn't like it as it was. Looks better now I think.

"1. In one part: The two halves separate, rotate back and close to protect the engine."

Sorry, I'm confused. What engines would be within a fairing?

Do you mean the fairing base and two fairing halves would be one part, with the fairing halves splitting and opening like doors with a hinge near the fairing base, and then closing up again like doors after payload deploy?

"2. Have multiple parts: A fairing base and the two halves as separate objects. RCS, batteries, probe core and parachutes can be attached to it. Not sure who has the patience to land two fairing parts but why not."

This is more in line with what I was thinking...

Although personally I'd prefer to see all the parts needed for recovery being part of the single fairing part. i.e. have the fairing part have a probe core, batteries, parachute, and RemoteTech antenna ( :P ) coded into the part. Ditto RCS tanks and thrusters. You don't necessarily need to make a special texture for it (although it would be better...).

By having the needed parts all in the one fairing part, you may be able to make the fairings procedural...

"Not sure who has the patience to land two fairing parts but why not."

Hey, I'm landing used boosters... why not fairings? :P

Oh, here's a thought. I could attach one of your grid-fins to the inside of the fairing shells and see if they can be steered all the way back to KSC.... haha. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.