[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

27 minutes ago, SPNRaven said:

How are things coming along? You last post was 6 months ago...

You can't push perfection. It will come when it's ready :wink: 
Also welcome to the forums!

Edited by damonvv

On 12/25/2017 at 4:54 AM, JangoBunBun said:

Have you considered adding SpaceX's reusable second stage concept? It would fit perfectly into both the mod and the "kerbal" theme. I know you said you're working on your thesis, so if you're too busy it's not a problem.

Oh. My. God. How have I not seen that sexy concept? Yeah, I want one.

Though.. how are they planning to land that? It has like, no legs. Also.. SuperDraco engines as your vacuum sustainers? SuperDraco's only have like 2/3 the ISP of Merlin 1D Vacuum engines. I'd think that'd be cutting into efficiency like, a lot.

7 hours ago, Enorats said:

Oh. My. God. How have I not seen that sexy concept? Yeah, I want one.

Though.. how are they planning to land that? It has like, no legs. Also.. SuperDraco engines as your vacuum sustainers? SuperDraco's only have like 2/3 the ISP of Merlin 1D Vacuum engines. I'd think that'd be cutting into efficiency like, a lot.

I dont think that design seems realistic.   Its got to be a fan made thing.

I have 1.2.2 on a RSS/RO/RP0 install, and I can't get most of the parts to show up. A few of them do, such as the small falcon legs and the small new shepard legs, but most of the parts do not show up in my game. I've tried all the 1.2.2 versions I could find but the problem persists no matter what I try. This only happens with this mod, I get all parts from all other mods I have.

45 minutes ago, sjsharks39 said:

I have 1.2.2 on a RSS/RO/RP0 install, and I can't get most of the parts to show up. A few of them do, such as the small falcon legs and the small new shepard legs, but most of the parts do not show up in my game. I've tried all the 1.2.2 versions I could find but the problem persists no matter what I try. This only happens with this mod, I get all parts from all other mods I have.

Sounds like a bad install the path should KSP/GameData/KerbalReusabilityExpansion

17 minutes ago, sjsharks39 said:

Good idea, but I just triple checked the install, its all where it needs to be :(

Better check again I just put in 1.2.2  install I still have after zipping up the dll that comes with it all loads fine can you take a screenshot on your gamedata folder ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of posts on the last couple of ...days. I got sidetracked teaching a rocket to land itself with OpenAI (video of that later).

But look! Shiny!

CreativeConcernedArthropods-max-14mb.gif

Edited by EmbersArc

49 minutes ago, EmbersArc said:

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of posts on the last couple of ...days. I got sidetracked teaching a rocket to land itself with OpenAI (video of that later).

But look! Shiny!

Very nice! Glad you could share us an update :wink: 

22 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@EmbersArc

Name suggestion for the grid fin:

N-333 "Nemesis" Grid Fin

Ooh I like that. It definitely was my nemesis during the whole modeling process.

Maybe 222 instead of 333 because that's the number of days it took to complete :D

10 minutes ago, EmbersArc said:

Ooh I like that. It definitely was my nemesis during the whole modeling process.

Maybe 222 instead of 333 because that's the number of days it took to complete :D

@EmbersArc Yes, the reason I chose 333 was for that extra "evil" effect. If you want, 222 is OK, I think. After all, it's your mod, this is just a suggestion.

49 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@EmbersArc Yes, the reason I chose 333 was for that extra "evil" effect. If you want, 222 is OK, I think. After all, it's your mod, this is just a suggestion.

Well, since the minimum one would need for adequate control authority is three, 222 is the best number!

Update 2.6

• Add new Titanium Grid Fins
  • Lower heat tolerance of Aluminium Grid Fins
  • Reduce control authority of all grid fins

The aluminium grid fins now have a much lower heat tolerance. They will easily overheat without a reentry burn. The new grid fins have a higher tolerance but might not survive a reentry from orbit.

Also I noticed that the grid fin control authority was way too high. So that got reduced as well.

Besides the SpaceX stuff--which is always awesome--are any more landing legs coming? I've been in need of a mod that allows stages to be landed on their side; like a stockalike version of the parts from LCA's Energia boosters. Your Energia 2 wings only fuel that desire more.

@damonvv What's that fancy stuff in your KSC?

16 hours ago, EmbersArc said:

Update 2.6

• Add new Titanium Grid Fins
  • Lower heat tolerance of Aluminium Grid Fins
  • Reduce control authority of all grid fins

The aluminium grid fins now have a much lower heat tolerance. They will easily overheat without a reentry burn. The new grid fins have a higher tolerance but might not survive a reentry from orbit.

Also I noticed that the grid fin control authority was way too high. So that got reduced as well.

Very, very nice...too bad I'm still trying to figure out how to use the blessed things to fully appreciate the exquisite details.

I'll take some time to add missing parts to Ven's Stock Part Revamp next (mostly wheels).

After that, which part do you want me to overhaul the most? Thinking about making some drastic changes to the ITS Landing Gear now that SpaceX has ditched that design. Probably with some inspiration from the lander in the Mars series:

mars1.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.