[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

2 hours ago, EmbersArc said:

Should I add another size? The 5m parts are part of the DLC right? So I would prefer not adding them in that size. But if you need them it should be no problem with tweakscale.

Oh, I was not aware the 5m stuff came with the DLC. You are right then, sounds reasonable.

On 24.3.2018 at 3:36 PM, EmbersArc said:

I reduced the drag coefficient quite a bit. But the majority of the drag has so far come from the enlarged drag cube when they are deployed anyway.

Should I increase the drag again?

Apparently, something was wrong with my Falcon9. At least with the current versions of Tundra Exporation and Reusability Expansion, the medium sized grid fins plus the rocket itself have enough drag to slow down from 750 m/s at an altitude of about 12000 m to something like 200 m/s at 2000 m. Dry mass is 20.7 tons.

For the BFR booster (150 tons...), I use the large Nemesis fins. The booster only starts slowing down below 10000 m, and it's not enough to do a suicide burn with the center engines only.

Now I'm not sure if the booster is unrealisticly heavy or if the grid fins don't have enough drag. Unfortunately, that beast doesn't exist yet :wink:

3 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Apparently, something was wrong with my Falcon9. At least with the current versions of Tundra Exporation and Reusability Expansion, the medium sized grid fins plus the rocket itself have enough drag to slow down from 750 m/s at an altitude of about 12000 m to something like 200 m/s at 2000 m. Dry mass is 20.7 tons.

For the BFR booster (150 tons...), I use the large Nemesis fins. The booster only starts slowing down below 10000 m, and it's not enough to do a suicide burn with the center engines only.

Now I'm not sure if the booster is unrealisticly heavy or if the grid fins don't have enough drag. Unfortunately, that beast doesn't exist yet :wink:

Grid fins are more for stability and control than for slowing anything down, (at least IRL).... maybe you just need to start burning earlier?

19 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Grid fins are more for stability and control than for slowing anything down, (at least IRL).... maybe you just need to start burning earlier?

Hmm, maybe you're right, SpaceX only mentions them for steering. Problem is: I need to start burning BEFORE the fins have any noticeable effect, which makes them pretty useless.

Update 2.6.2

• Fixed RCS effects
  • Adjusted Dragon tank and heatshield to fit new crew pod

The drastically reduced drag of grid fins is a KSP bug. The update seems to have broken drag cubes which are used by the fins to control their drag. I've reported the bug, hoping it gets fixed soon. Fixed in 1.4.2

Edited by EmbersArc

On 3/24/2018 at 10:36 AM, EmbersArc said:

They are not specifically FAR compatible. Maybe the addon that makes them deployable is confusing FAR as well. In my experience they work fine with FAR but don't have as much drag as with stock aero. Does the steering work as expected?

It's kind of hard to tell, but I think so? The main issue for me is that I can't use them to attain aerodynamic stability, since their lift appears to be basically zero. This is largely a problem for me because I'm trying to use them to do model predictive guidance for a Falcon 9-like first stage, and without aerodynamic stability the trajectory propagation will diverge (since it doesn't have a closed-loop controller fighting the instability). 

I'm currently using stock fins, though their control effectiveness leaves a lot to be desired and they cause the vehicle to be aerodyanamically unstable on ascent. At some point, I'll probably make a ModuleManager config to switch them over to the legacy FAR aero model and patch the mod to work with that.

I've tracked down a few citations for modelling aerodynamic lift and drag of grid fins (which are weird! Odd stuff happens to them when they go supersonic, since the leading edge shocks interact inside the fins). Would they be of interest/help for picking the right coefficients for the mod?

Redoing the ITS landing legs, here's an early WIP:

UjIK2Y0.png

I want it to have more distinct features. It bothers me how bland the current one looks. Working on the deploy mechanism next, then adding some more details.

I absolutely love this mod, this should be stock in the game IMO. However, you made it and we enjoy it..............ALOT!

Now for my dumb noob questions about the grid fins, bc my booster spins out of control. The fins when deployed turn one direction and thats it. I watched a YT vid on the mod, but he didnt explain a few things.

-which direction is the correct way for mounting? I Looked at a few pics in this thread and it seems they are suppose to fold out from bottom to top?

-what is deploy direction?

-what is deploy extended or retracted? 

4 hours ago, viperwolf said:

I absolutely love this mod, this should be stock in the game IMO. However, you made it and we enjoy it..............ALOT!

Now for my dumb noob questions about the grid fins, bc my booster spins out of control. The fins when deployed turn one direction and thats it. I watched a YT vid on the mod, but he didnt explain a few things.

-which direction is the correct way for mounting? I Looked at a few pics in this thread and it seems they are suppose to fold out from bottom to top?

-what is deploy direction?

-what is deploy extended or retracted? 

You want them folded downwards; they start folded upwards so rotate them 180 degrees. You will also notice there is a little arrow opposite of the actual fin on the mounting part. That arrow should point up.

Don't use deploy, just extend, toggle or retract.

Deploy for control surfaces is if you're trying to make something like flaps. I guess could use it on the grid fins and it would stabilize things by spinning the craft the way some bombs are stabilized by their fins spinning them. I can't really imagine it would be very useful for something you wanted down in one piece, especially if it has crew on it.

2 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

You want them folded downwards; they start folded upwards so rotate them 180 degrees. You will also notice there is a little arrow opposite of the actual fin on the mounting part. That arrow should point up.

Don't use deploy, just extend, toggle or retract.

Deploy for control surfaces is if you're trying to make something like flaps. I guess could use it on the grid fins and it would stabilize things by spinning the craft the way some bombs are stabilized by their fins spinning them. I can't really imagine it would be very useful for something you wanted down in one piece, especially if it has crew on it.

thank you, I appreciate it very much

Announcement

On another note. It is with great sadness that I have decided to step away from Kerbal Reusability Expansion and any future updates for Kerbal Reusability Expansion. Life is unfortunately a constant roller coaster for me and I have little time to play KSP let alone keep a mod updated. I will continue to provide support here on this thread for any issues that people may encounter with the mod until a new author can take over. I'm sure everyone here knows this already but the KSP community is seriously one of the greatest and most supportive modding communities out there and the experience I have had here has never ceased to amaze me. I thank you all for the love and support you have shown Kerbal Reusability Expansion and I will be sure that whoever takes over the mod after myself will show it the same love that I have shown it after all these years. I won't completely step away from Kerbal Reusability Expansion and you'll continue to find me roaming around here but, I will no longer be apart of creating Kerbal Reusability Expansion. Thank you all again so much, it has been an absolute pleasure. Keep building and flying the craziest rockets that you possibly can, and in the words of one of the greats, Fly Safe.

Building reusable rockets is fun for a while, but not forever. I've recently been feeling an urge to combine my passions for memes and KSP modding to create the dankest mod in KSP history.

Introducing Mememod!

Here's a sneak peek at what is coming: 

Stay tuned!

Edited by EmbersArc

Nhawk from Real Plume and now you? sad times in KSP modding. However completely understandable, Thank you very much for everything you have contributed to the community. I hope that the next person that takes up your mod will be dedicated to its design as you. This mod is fantastic!

16 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@EmbersArc Would you at least release the BFR landing legs overhaul update?

No, only meme-based content from now on.

Including:

• 420 Command Pot
  • THICC Solid Fuel Booster
  • Herbodyne HR-2L+ "Thomas" Dank Engine
  • etc. (please contribute your ideas)

2 hours ago, EmbersArc said:

No, only meme-based content from now on.

Including:

• 420 Command Pot
  • THICC Solid Fuel Booster
  • Herbodyne HR-2L+ "Thomas" Dank Engine
  • etc. (please contribute your ideas)

Possibly different chutes? like stacked(maybe between a fuel tank and command pod type) but deploy radial, not sure that made sense.

The boosters are what Im looking forward to, Im really tired of the  limitations we have with them stock.

Structural parts are always welcome.

It's been a pleasure to see you building this this mod from the beginning. We all know that people come and go and change interest overtime. I would very appreciate it if I could take over your mod! I have some big plans for it to integrate into Tundra Exploration for a more immerse SpaceX Style mod! Away with the BO parts! I wish you all the best with this new approach of getting more memes into KSP, it is a much needed mod for everyone! :wink:

P.S. I am also in talks with @CobaltWolf to get more launches for your money with some reusable Saturn V parts!

l9ofD8k.png

Well thanks a lot for the kind words :D It's also great to know that the mod will have a future after I one day decide to stop working on it @damonvv. But don't you dare remove the BO parts :wink:.

But for now let's keep this party going:

BZfPS0v.png

Setting up all those constraints was quite messy but it mostly works now. Still far from done but making good progress.

1 hour ago, damonvv said:

Will you plan on making the 2017 design legs for BFS?

Apparently, the booster won't have any legs (btw, I'm still unable to land it with the central engines only and using a reasonable amount of fuel). As for the BFS, the legs seem pretty small now, and are omitted in most of the renderings. I like the current ones :wink:

What are BO parts?

Edited by infinite_monkey

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.