[Old Thread] KRE - Kerbal Reusability Expansion

EmbersArc

19 minutes ago, DavidHunter said:

That still doesn't make sense.

Last I heard, there are no engines inside a fairing post-deployment... :S

The idea is based on this reddit thread. Doesn't seem to be feasible in reality, as I said it was just an experiment. 

7 hours ago, DavidHunter said:

"2. Have multiple parts: A fairing base and the two halves as separate objects. RCS, batteries, probe core and parachutes can be attached to it. Not sure who has the patience to land two fairing parts but why not."

This is more in line with what I was thinking...

Although personally I'd prefer to see all the parts needed for recovery being part of the single fairing part. i.e. have the fairing part have a probe core, batteries, parachute, and RemoteTech antenna ( :P ) coded into the part. Ditto RCS tanks and thrusters. You don't necessarily need to make a special texture for it (although it would be better...).

By having the needed parts all in the one fairing part, you may be able to make the fairings procedural...

Still doesn't work if I include all the parts. Some serious programming would have to be done for that. I'd rather not include all the parts anyway. It's kind of fun to develop your own fairing by trial and error. I've only had errors so far but a solution is likely.

Although the reusable fairings don't match what (little) we know about SpaceX's plans for reusing fairings, I don't think it's a bad thing to develop in a "Kerbal Resuabilty Expansion" mod, since you're not making SpaceX replicas per se, just the tools to do the job.

Equally, under the same banner there would be scope to include things like the Energia winged flyback boosters, an X-34 or Dreamchaser-style mini capsule, Roton's rotors, Vulcan's/Ariane 6's recoverable engine blocks, etc.

Any kind of fully reusable vehicle would need the ability to launch payload and recover as much of the rocket as possible, and a closing fairing (or nose-cargo bay, perhaps) is as good as any.

Really like what you've done so far. Looking forward to the trunk in particular, since that's a huge part of making this viable.

I know I'd like this to be applicable to more than a 2.5m capsule. I haven't tried just doing a rescalefactor MM patch for this, but that might be all that's necessary.

26 minutes ago, Domfluff said:

Although the reusable fairings don't match what (little) we know about SpaceX's plans for reusing fairings, I don't think it's a bad thing to develop in a "Kerbal Resuabilty Expansion" mod, since you're not making SpaceX replicas per se, just the tools to do the job.

Equally, under the same banner there would be scope to include things like the Energia winged flyback boosters, an X-34 or Dreamchaser-style mini capsule, Roton's rotors, Vulcan's/Ariane 6's recoverable engine blocks, etc.

Any kind of fully reusable vehicle would need the ability to launch payload and recover as much of the rocket as possible, and a closing fairing (or nose-cargo bay, perhaps) is as good as any.

Really like what you've done so far. Looking forward to the trunk in particular, since that's a huge part of making this viable.

I know I'd like this to be applicable to more than a 2.5m capsule. I haven't tried just doing a rescalefactor MM patch for this, but that might be all that's necessary.

they're not inside a fairing

Ah, I see what you mean.

Understand the confusion, but I wasn't referring to the reusable fairings containing Energia's flyback boosters (etc.), but that a mod titled "Kerbal Reusability Expansion" doesn't have to be limited to "replicating SpaceX missions", since there are other reusable spacecraft, in practice or in theory (especially in theory).

Therefore, even though the idea of a solid, integrated cargo bay/fairing doesn't jive with the reality of what SpaceX are attempting (as far as we know), that doesn't have to limit the options for modding. The swivel-and-fold-back fairings designed in the linked Reddit thread are probably impractical (and possibly unnecessary at that), but that doesn't mean that it can't be modded and played around with.

3 hours ago, Domfluff said:

Understand the confusion, but I wasn't referring to the reusable fairings containing Energia's flyback boosters (etc.), but that a mod titled "Kerbal Reusability Expansion" doesn't have to be limited to "replicating SpaceX missions", since there are other reusable spacecraft, in practice or in theory (especially in theory).

Therefore, even though the idea of a solid, integrated cargo bay/fairing doesn't jive with the reality of what SpaceX are attempting (as far as we know), that doesn't have to limit the options for modding. The swivel-and-fold-back fairings designed in the linked Reddit thread are probably impractical (and possibly unnecessary at that), but that doesn't mean that it can't be modded and played around with.

Thanks for the suggestions, will definitely look into making some of those. I'm really considering not doing the cargo bay variant of the fairing. Even though it looks cool you're right about it being impractical for reentry. Testing of the SpaceX-like fairing recovery with RCS and parachutes is going well though. Managed to get it to be stable in flight and touch down safely. Seriously thinking about adding that eventually.
Next update with the trunk will probably be out tomorrow.

On 7/26/2016 at 5:25 AM, svendii said:

Can't. Resist. Must. Make. Fairing.
So actually it's not that impossible to do. If the fairing doesn't have to be procedural there are two ways to do it:

1. In one part: The two halves separate, rotate back and close to protect the engine. I've done some testing and it works quite well. Looks like this: 

bFu4u2S.png

2. Have multiple parts: A fairing base and the two halves as separate objects. RCS, batteries, probe core and parachutes can be attached to it. Not sure who has the patience to land two fairing parts but why not.

Which one do you prefer?

In other news I redid the texture for the legs (yes, again). Just didn't like it as it was. Looks better now I think.

Rotating fairings that can protect the engine on re-entry, thats extremely AWESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Update 1.6

• Added trunk and small fins.
  • Changed heat shield shroud texture to match trunk
  • Overhaul of landing leg texture
  • Made grid fins more fragile
  • Added WIP folder for early testing of parts that may or may not be added in the future

Download link

3 hours ago, svendii said:

Update 1.6

• Added trunk and small fins.
  • Changed heat shield shroud texture to match trunk
  • Overhaul of landing leg texture
  • Made grid fins more fragile
  • Added WIP folder for early testing of parts that may or may not be added in the future

Download link

Any screenshots?

@svendiiSmall suggestion for the trunk. You have a ladder built into the fuel-tank. Can you add a ladder to the heat-shield's shroud and to the side of the trunk? Also, are there plans to add fairings to cover deployable solar-panels stowed on the flat-sides of the trunk?

Edited by StevieC

22 minutes ago, svendii said:

I haven't had a lot of time recently because of some upcoming exams but here's the docking port I've been working on:

qg3fXqh.png

Animation is done, model is about 90% finished. Will take some time to finish it though.

I think it would be better if you would make just the nosecone with attachment point for any docking port so it would more compatible with other stations without the need to put a special port for it to dock to.... 

BTW nice profile pic:D

1 minute ago, DV-13 said:

I agree with NeoFatalis. Universal nosecone with an attachment node is much more useful.

It's compatible with the size1 docking port. I didn't want to use the stock docking port look because it doesn't look too interesting.

nI6ByeP.png

Just now, StevieC said:

@svendii Have you considered giving the trunk and the heat-shield's shroud their own built-in ladders like the fuel-tank has?

The trunk should serve as an orbital service module and isn't originally meant to be landed. So it won't get a ladder. You're of course free to attach a ladder to it and land it on the Mun. That would be surreal and awesome. Kind of like launching a Shuttle with a Falcon Heavy as booster.

Re: your current design for this part-pack's docking-port, does the opened nose-cap offset the center-of-mass to a point that would be a problem for the RCS thrusters? Also, it kind-of looks as if it would block the capsule's EVA hatch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.