What happened to rotating parts before placing them?

Adding docking clamps and other parts is nightmarish now because they cannot be rotated before being placed. So the entire ship needs to be rotated to match the default rotation of the new part, then rotated back. Is there a workaround or a fix for this?

I'm having difficulty understanding what the problem is here.

Rotating parts before placing them works fine - or at least it's worked fine every time I've wanted to do it. And if the rotation isn't exactly what I wanted, the rotate tool on that part works perfectly normally too.

I'm also not quite sure why you want to rotate docking clamps.

Rotating parts before you place them works just the same as it always did.  I do it all the time.

When the part is selected you use the WASDQE keys to rotate 90 degrees and I think* shift + those keys to do increments.

* It might be alt, or ctrl, I don't remember I do it automatically.

I always rotate objects by pressing the number 3 or by clicking the rotate icon and using the GUI. That method doesn't work anymore. I will try the WASDQE method, but that's inferior to having a multi-axis gui IMO

4 minutes ago, Hegemon said:

I always rotate objects by pressing the number 3 or by clicking the rotate icon and using the GUI. That method doesn't work anymore. I will try the WASDQE method, but that's inferior to having a multi-axis gui IMO

My understanding is that the number 3 key/rotate icon method is intended for fine adjustment of your part after it has been placed, as most people generally use the WASDQE method for coarse orienting before placement.

19 minutes ago, sumghai said:

My understanding is that the number 3 key/rotate icon method is intended for fine adjustment of your part after it has been placed, as most people generally use the WASDQE method for coarse orienting before placement.

Got it. I tried it - I personally think it's a little clumsy, but you've at least made the VAB playable for me so thanks

2 hours ago, Hegemon said:

Got it. I tried it - I personally think it's a little clumsy, but you've at least made the VAB playable for me so thanks

1 hour ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Just so you know, until relatively recently, that "clumsy" method used to be the only method. 

@FullMetalMachinist is correct - rotation and offset gizmos were only added in KSP 0.90, whereas for most of us who have been playing since 0.20, the usual (and only) way of placing parts was via WASDQE.

In short, you've misused a tool meant for fine-tuning as your general-purpose part placement tool, a scenario akin to using a pocket knife to cut down a large tree.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.